Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:38 PM

630 posts, read 1,717,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Sorry to keep spamming you! But, once I knew you had Travelers, I was able to find an article that says that Traveler's has no breed restrictions. So, looks like you're good to go!

It's in the 3rd paragraph from the bottom:

Dog friendly insurance companies - the battle against breed restrictions - Atlanta Pet Rescue | Examiner.com

Cheers!
Lol..I appreciate the effort to help. This surprises me as I've found them to be somewhat difficult with other issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 04:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
Thanks Nomore..I read the first link. This is what concerns me. It's not that a landlord can't be sued..It's that if they are they most likely won't be held liable. I don't think I want the risk of having to fight that battle. I'm just not comfortable moving forward with them without talking to my agent. Sigh...
Yeah, I agree. I'd be paranoid, too. Better safe than sorry.

I've found this an interesting little research project though, and did find this interesting site that lists different states/cities that have specific breed restriction laws:

Breed-Specific Laws (BSL) State by State - Legislating Dogs - DogsBite.org

Hope it works out and you don't have to start looking for another tenant.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:55 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Do not take advice off the internet when it involves your insurance company, your home and your livelihood. Get on the phone and ask them personally.

Many of the bully breeds are restricted, not only by insurance companies, but by city and county govts. Before you approve these people, get a hold of your insurance company and your county/city govt offices to see if you can even let them live there.

Yes, you can be held liable for your tenant's dog.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:09 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
I personally have nothing against either the Staffy or the pitbull. I do, however, have concerns regarding the owners of any of of the larger breeds (labeled bully or not) who aren't in very clear control of their pet or who haven't fully trained said pet. That is the area I would be concerned with regarding any dog a tenant of mine had. And the question arises as to whether there is fencing around the property to handle the odd chance the dog got out of the house accidentally.

I would ask what kind of training the owners have.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 PM

630 posts, read 1,717,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
And the question arises as to whether there is fencing around the property to handle the odd chance the dog got out of the house accidentally.

There is no fence.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I personally have nothing against either the Staffy or the pitbull. I do, however, have concerns regarding the owners of any of of the larger breeds (labeled bully or not) who aren't in very clear control of their pet or who haven't fully trained said pet. That is the area I would be concerned with regarding any dog a tenant of mine had. And the question arises as to whether there is fencing around the property to handle the odd chance the dog got out of the house accidentally.

^This

I have 2 small/medium sized dogs that are not even banned or on any "dangerous" lists.

I have an entire paperwork package ready to go to potential landlords on both dogs. Obedience School certificates, updated vaccination certificates, vet references and prior landlord refs, along with their ages, breed info, and pictures of the dogs.

The fact that she was not up front with you about the breed would bother me.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:24 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
Any advice or insight?
1. Make sure you obtain a complete copy of the exclusions and/or limitations for the policy. What Insurance Company's policy covers or not for an individual homeowner may not be the same for a rental property policy. It is your responsibility to know what your specific policy covers, not what Fred's home policy covers in another state.

2. Make sure that any limitations or exclusions are addressed in your rental application, lease and vetting process. Do not try and be the nice person and make an exception unless you’re willing to foot the bill if the Insurance Company denies a claim because it’s not covered under your policy.

3. As for dog breeds as pets. If the policy has restrictions, adhere to the restrictions. Do not fudge on this (such as allowing a banned breed to be called a mixed mutt to avoid the restrictions) as the insurance company has the resources to fight you to the death if they want.

4. NEVER EVER go beyond what is necessary to adhere to the insurance company’s or your requirements on pets. A popular belief is to qualify the pet with observation, meet & greets and good dog certificates and such. If you look at those lawsuits that have been successful, you’ll se the main reason was the property owner in some way created a personal assurance that the dog was harmless. You accept a dog based on some personal belief its harmless and you could be on the losing end of a lawsuit. The laws are already on your side with ignorance and even direct knowledge, no need to muck it up by throwing in your personal assurances. (No offense to those who believe or practice this, but it’s a great way to expose yourself to liability)

Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Sorry to keep spamming you! But, once I knew you had Travelers, I was able to find an article that says that Traveler's has no breed restrictions. So, looks like you're good to go!

It's in the 3rd paragraph from the bottom:

Dog friendly insurance companies - the battle against breed restrictions - Atlanta Pet Rescue | Examiner.com

Cheers!
Note, please, that this article is from 2009. Not necessarily relevant.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:15 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
^This

I have 2 small/medium sized dogs that are not even banned or on any "dangerous" lists.

I have an entire paperwork package ready to go to potential landlords on both dogs. Obedience School certificates, updated vaccination certificates, vet references and prior landlord refs, along with their ages, breed info, and pictures of the dogs.

The fact that she was not up front with you about the breed would bother me.
Yeah, her leaving the breed section blank for that dog and not the other tells you a lot. She knew it might be a problem for insurance and/or that some landlords would not want that dog on their property.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:17 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Note, please, that this article is from 2009. Not necessarily relevant.
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting