Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:47 PM

630 posts, read 1,716,806 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of renting out our house that we haven't been able to sell. We got an app on a tenant that checked out well EXCEPT when asked about details on her 2 dogs she left the breed of one blank. Realtor asked for specifics and found it is a Staffordshire terrier mix. I've been googling and it seems it's the fancy name for Pitbull? My biggest concern is my homeowners insurance not allowing/covering for this. We are going to a landlord tenant policy effective their move in date. My ins is closed for the weekend and the tenant wanted to sign lease this weekend. Any advice or insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 03:50 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
You are telling the insurance company, right? Require them to carry renters insurance covering the dog and insist on meeting the dog to ensure it is friendly. My pitbull loves everyone he meets. They are not bad dogs, they have a bad rep.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You are telling the insurance company, right? Require them to carry renters insurance covering the dog and insist on meeting the dog to ensure it is friendly. My pitbull loves everyone he meets. They are not bad dogs, they have a bad rep.
I will but they won't insure with some breeds. Would it be on our ins or the tenants renters ins? I'm fine with it if we are in no way liable. We are out of state landlords so meeting it isn't possible. The fact that they tried to get it in under the radar bothers me.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I wrote a whole post, then changed my mind. I was going to say you could put a clause in the contract that they'll have to move if the insurance company doesn't approve the dog.

But the problem with that, is that you put yourself in a liable situation for however long the dog is there. It would basically say that you knew the dog might be dangerous, yet you let them move in anyway. And even if technically, a tenant is responsible, you can bet if someone got hurt, they'd sue you, too.

I think you're going to have to delay them until you get verification from your insurance company that the dog will be covered, to cover yourselves. And as you say, the fact that they hid the dog's breed from you is a huge red flag.

Also, I think you should require photos of the dogs. If they give you fake photos, at least you could show you were trying to be diligent, if anything were to happen.

Is there any way this info is online on your insurance carrier's website? Maybe it lists breeds that are not insurable? If so, maybe you could move ahead this weekend afterall. Or can you call the claims line? That should be open 24/7.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Is there any way this info is online on your insurance carrier's website? Maybe it lists breeds that are not insurable? If so, maybe you could move ahead this weekend afterall. Or can you call the claims line? That should be open 24/7.
I will have dig around. It's with Travelers. I'm pretty sure when we got the HO ins originally they asked specifically if we had a dog and what breed. Makes me think they exclude covering folks with certain breeds.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:18 PM

I found a legal article that says a landlord is rarely found liable for a tenant's dog, even if he knew the dog was dangerous:

Landlord Liability for Tenants' Dogs | Nolo.com

You could require renter's insurance in the lease.

Sorry to be back and forth. My instinct is to be paranoid about getting sued, but I trust this website (I use their legal books, which are written by lawyers). So, after reading this, and knowing you'd like to move ahead - and you aren't aware of the dog being dangerous - I think you'd be okay if you just required renters insurance from them.

This insurance website has some examples of renter's insurance covering tenants, so landlord won't get sued:

Landlord Insurance in California | Einhorn Insurance

Old 08-16-2013, 04:20 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
I think most exclude certain breeds and Pitbulls (and Pitbull mixes) are usually at the top of the list. You probably don't want to sign any lease with these folks. To be honest, you probably aren't going to be able to rent to themnif you want to have HO insurance. Hopefully I am wrong, for the dog's sake.

Get confirmation of your policy's exclusions before you sign anything. If your policy doesn't exclude pits, them IF you choose to rent to them, maybe put something in the lease that says you can break the lease and give them 30 days notice if your homeowner's insurance doesn't allow pit bulls. and you are unabe to find comparable insurance. Because maybe your policy changes their rules or maybe you have to get a different carrier but no other carrier will give you a policy due to the pit bull.

Check your county/city laws about Pit Bulls also. Many have rules about fences and such. Last thing you want to hear is that you are required to install a 6' fence due to city rules.

Last edited by sware2cod; 08-16-2013 at 04:38 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 04:22 PM

Sorry to keep spamming you! But, once I knew you had Travelers, I was able to find an article that says that Traveler's has no breed restrictions. So, looks like you're good to go!

It's in the 3rd paragraph from the bottom:

Dog friendly insurance companies - the battle against breed restrictions - Atlanta Pet Rescue | Examiner.com

Cheers!

Old 08-16-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I found a legal article that says a landlord is rarely found liable for a tenant's dog, even if he knew the dog was dangerous:

Landlord Liability for Tenants' Dogs | Nolo.com

You could require renter's insurance in the lease.

Sorry to be back and forth. My instinct is to be paranoid about getting sued, but I trust this website (I use their legal books, which are written by lawyers). So, after reading this, and knowing you'd like to move ahead - and you aren't aware of the dog being dangerous - I think you'd be okay if you just required renters insurance from them.

This insurance website has some examples of renter's insurance covering tenants, so landlord won't get sued:

Landlord Insurance in California | Einhorn Insurance
Thanks Nomore..I read the first link. This is what concerns me. It's not that a landlord can't be sued..It's that if they are they most likely won't be held liable. I don't think I want the risk of having to fight that battle. I'm just not comfortable moving forward with them without talking to my agent. Sigh...

Old 08-16-2013, 04:37 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Tell them they have to wait until you can validate with your insurance. It is their fault for leaving the breed off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting