Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 11:33 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Because Section 8 housing is so difficult to find, it is foolish for a Section 8 tenant who has secured a house to aggravate the landlord. There is no guarantee that another place will ever come available if you have to move.
There is no requirement that a LL may treat a section 8 tenant in such a capricious manner. A lack of financial resources does not somehow make an individual "lesser" or deserving of harsh treatment.

I refuse to back down in the face of tactics that a bully on the school playground might employ. You have no right to inform me or anyone else for that matter that I should act against my own integrity.

Quote:
Water included means household water. It does not mean water to spread all over the ground. The Section 8 landlord is not required to provider irrigation water included in the rent.
Your psychic lease reading abilities have failed you. The lease states "water." It does not specify what type of water, nor does it specify whether a tenant may or may not care for the yard in a rental in a middle class neighborhood surrounded by homeowners who keep nice yards and exteriors.

Had the LL wished to amend the lease in this regard either way, he had the opportunity to do so for 4 years. He did not avail himself of this option.

In addition, if the LL wished to cover the cost of a utility increase, he had the option of giving 30 days notice of an increase in rent due to an increase in water rates. This action would have been:

1) Legal
2) Acceptable to the HA, as well as to tenants
3) An easy resolution that would have solved the problem before it ever even happened.

If the LL did not exercise his right to up the lease to cover his utilities, no tenant can be blamed for his decision. BILLING a tenant for his own inaction is ludicrous.

Quote:
If you had thought things through more carefully, you would have paid the extra water bill and stopped watering the yard. The extra water bill would have been a one time thing and you would still have a place to live.
Once again, your psychic abilities have failed you. You make assumptions about events I never mentioned in my OP:

1) See above
2) I did offer to pay an additional fee in the summer for water when the LL expressed concern about the water bill in May. He never communicated further with me in regard to water bills until August 8th.

I have been a responsible tenant in the face of an impossible situation and an absentee landlord who cannot reconcile his own accounts as shown by the copies of his own book-keeping that he has seen fit to provide me with.

ALL YOU BOARD MEMBERS WHO HAVE DECIDED TO STAND IN JUDGEMENT NEED TO READ THE FOLLOWING:

I live in a four-plex with a SINGLE water meter for FOUR units. The LL never appointed me to be site manager and monitor the activites of other tenants, including a family with 3 small children who go largely unsupervised and like to play with the water spigots on both the front and the rear of this building.

Over Memorial Day weekend, SOMEONE who was NOT me broke off one of the water spigots and it began gushing water nonstop. EVERY OTHER tenant except me was indifferent to the situation. Two didn't notice it, the third didn't care. I called the LL and got his voice mail, so I left him a message on his voice mail. Twenty-four hours later the water was still running and the LL had made no return call to me nor did he send anyone out to fix the spigot.

I rigged up a half-assed fix with a garden hose, soaking myself in the process. This decreased the flow but did not stop it. I left a SECOND message on the LL's voicemail. He did not return my call, but he did send out some incompetant repairman who went around the back and replaced two spigots that were perfectly well working, ignored he spigot out front that was still gushing water and drove off.

I called the LL a THIRD time and left a message on his voicemail. No return call, but the incompetant returned the next afternoon and finally fixed the problem.

I never once so much as heard a "boo" out of LL until he sent me a bill on Aug 8 holding me accountable for the water over-charge stemming from the fact that the final day of the water break was May 29, but included in the June bill.

The LL is somehow trying to make me responsible for the fact that he is a lazy, indifferent slumlord who doesn't keep on top of property maintenance.

You people all make these assumptions that I'm just some stupid low life who deserves to be kicked around because I'm on Section 8 when nothing could be more wrong.

Bottom line, this as much as anything else is why I am standing my ground and fighting this absurd billing and the LL's thoughtless and prejudicial attitudes which are no different than the ones expressed to me by you and some other people on this board.

I have as much right to fair treatment as anyone else. The LL doesn't have the right to deprive me of my housing just because I put in xeriscaping and informed him of water gushing out from the water line to his property and out onto the street. This could have gone on for a MONTH and cost THOUSANDS of dollars.

The LL should be thanking me and even giving me free watering privileges for all of next summer. Instead he deprives me of my housing. If I'd had a crystal ball, I'd never have left him a single message. No good deed goes unpunished.

You people with your air of superiority and your assumptions disgust me. But thank you so much for the great object lesson in societal attitudes towards those who are down on their luck. I should print out this entire thread and take it with me to the lawyer's tomorrow. It's people like you who create an atmosphere which allows injustices against those who are less fortunate in our society. Every last one of you could be in my position on the roll of the dice. YOU are part of the problem, and before you post your next condescending reply to a poster in trouble, go look in the mirror.

Last edited by Colorado Rambler; 08-18-2013 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
You people with your air of superiority and your assumptions disgust me.
Sorry you feel that way but wish you luck in your discussions with your Section 8 case representative.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:55 PM

146 posts, read 216,123 times
I've been following your threads, and I think you're reading more into these responses that is actually there. No one's judging you. One person gave their opinion on what they consider appropriate water usage, but that has little if anything to do with Section 8, and more to do with what landlords view as appropriate usage from ANY tenant.

You sound like a good tenant who cares about the place they live in. Your landlord sounds like a jerk. Unfortunately, jerky behavior is not always illegal, and it seems like his 30 day notice, while a jerk move, is legal unless Section 8 has a different requirement.

You've been given some good advice, foremost of which is to avoid having this go to eviction at all costs. It will make things much more difficult for you. If you want to leave, can you talk to your landlord and ask for a 60-day notice instead? Tell him you're happy to move but that you need more time to make it happen. If I were him, I'd rather have the extra month's rent than have to evict you.

I hope this works out for you.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:02 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,848 times
OP: You may think your landlord is mean for ending your tenancy with the 30 day notice, but that doesn't give you sufficient legal grounds to fight it.

He's within his legal rights to get you out, and it appears that's what he wants.

I don't see where people are treating you "with an air of superiority" or being rude to you. We're giving you honest advice. It may not be what you want to hear, but any judge handling an eviction proceeding would also look at the objective evidence vs the law.

If you're on a month-to-month lease, the landlord can end that lease at any time with 30 days notice. He has not forfeited his legal contract rights just because of the water bill dispute. Since you didn't pay the $53 water bill, he hasn't forced you to do anything outside your lease.

On what legal grounds are you planning to "fight" the 30 day notice to end the month-to-month lease? If you can't come up with an answer to that question that would end in a court victory, then your efforts are best spent in finding a new place to live. You do not want an eviction on your record.

Last edited by LOL_Whut; 08-18-2013 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-20-2013, 05:56 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
I believe you are articulate and well enough informed to be your own advocate.

In the most simplistic approach... I simply refuse to do business with someone that doesn't treat me as a valued customer.

Voting with your feet may be the only option left... not everyone operates rationally... at least not all the time.

Remember... City-Data does not offer legal advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting