Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 06:25 AM

241 posts, read 792,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

It's sad that they have only a meager ss income and section 8 housing, but they are still a 'yahoo' and they are still living off my tax dollars.
Since they do have a ss income they obviously have paid into it themselves, just like you do. I was not aware that the point of paying in was to just give it to the gov't and never expect to use it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 06:29 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The definition of a "yahoo" is "a rude, noisy, or violent person." Again, you define someone who lives on SS and who benefits from Section 8 housing a "yahoo"? I'm very confused.

I will be more discerning in my use of the term 'yahoo' from now on.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-15-2013 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: Mod Edit

Old 09-15-2013, 06:47 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
Since they do have a ss income they obviously have paid into it themselves, just like you do. I was not aware that the point of paying in was to just give it to the gov't and never expect to use it yourself.

It's not, but to really think that your ss income is going to support you is insane.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:57 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
Quote:
So just to be absolutely clear in my own poor old mind, a senior who relies on SS and who is on Section 8 is, in your opinion, an "'idiot', 'moron', 'jackass', or even 'jerk'" but, since you feel those descriptions aren't politically correct, you'll stick with your own version of "yahoo"? OK, I think all is now clear.
Do you think a person can't be a jerk if they're on SS and/or a senior? Do they lose the ability to have negative personality characteristics as soon as they hit a certain age or become disabled?

Old 09-15-2013, 07:07 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Do you think a person can't be a jerk if they're on SS and/or a senior? Do they lose the ability to have negative personality characteristics as soon as they hit a certain age or become disabled?
No I don't and that's entirely irrelevant in any case.

If you refer back, KiminFL's comment is apparently related back to another thread authored by the OP which I believe you linked for some reason which escapes me. I couldn't fathom why reading that thread prompted Kim's "yahoo" comment so wanted to clarify exactly what she meant. It appears that to whom she's applying her negative adjectives is indeed a very general group comprising seniors who receive SS and Section 8 recipients. This is all I wanted to establish in order to satisfy my own curiosity and confusion.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
No I don't and that's entirely irrelevant in any case.

If you refer back, KiminFL's comment is apparently related back to another thread authored by the OP which I believe you linked for some reason which escapes me. I couldn't fathom why reading that thread prompted Kim's "yahoo" comment so wanted to clarify exactly what she meant. It appears that to whom she's applying her negative adjectives is indeed a very general group comprising seniors who receive SS and Section 8 recipients. This is all I wanted to establish in order to satisfy my own curiosity and confusion.
No, she's talking about a very specific poster with a long posting history. That should have been clear from her context in this thread.

Also, if "yahoo" is defined as "rude, noisy or violent" then a person only needs to be one of those three things for the word to be appropriately used. I'm guessing Kim was referring to rude and noisy.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
No, she's talking about a very specific poster with a long posting history. That should have been clear from her context in this thread.
Which is not what she explained in response to specific questions. No need to keep on - it was explained to my satisfaction.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:33 AM

I'm curious to know if OP is able to delay her eviction using some facet of the Section 8 program. Her 30 days notice to quit was proper and in accordance with her lease, as fleshed out through several city-data threads, but she was planning to "fight it in court" using local housing/renters organizations or something.

Has anyone ever heard of a renter successfully fighting a properly-given 30 days notice to quit? Does the section 8 program give renters additional leverage in this situation?

Old 09-15-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Has anyone ever heard of a renter successfully fighting a properly-given 30 days notice to quit? Does the section 8 program give renters additional leverage in this situation?
My research may have been faulty but, as I mentioned earlier on in this thread, I believe a LL is required to give 90 days notice to a Section 8 tenant whose lease has rolled over to a month to month.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:58 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
I'm curious to know if OP is able to delay her eviction using some facet of the Section 8 program.
I'm guessing that we now have one more landlord who will refuse to accept Section 8 vouchers, thanks to his experience with the OP.

Section 8 will provide lawyers to fight evictions in some areas of the country (I'm thinking in all areas, but don't know that as a fact)

This landlord has allowed OP to live there for hundreds under market rate (according to OP) and for thanks he ends up in court, trying to get his house back. I'm not seeing him allowing Section 8 again after this experience.

So, all you folks with Section8 vouchers who can't find a place to rent, you can give thanks to the OP and people like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting