Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

I'm honestly curious about this, and have been too lazy to research it. I'd rather hear from live people than read articles on this one, anyway.

I know that it is standard practice for landlords to wait until move-in day to sign contracts with tenants. I'm honestly curious as to why.

In order for my tenants to "hold" an apartment, I require a signed contract. I tell them I'll keep shopping for a tenant until I have a signed contract.

Aren't you afraid they'll slip away and you'll have to start over looking for another tenant? Obviously, there must be a good reason to do things this way. I just don't know what it is.

Thanks for your answers, so I learn something new today .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I wonder if it's more the norm in multi-unit complexes for some reason? I've only ever rented from private landlords on both residential and commercial properties and have always signed the lease well in advance of the move-in date. Likewise as a landlord for many years I've always had the lease signed in advance. I've no idea why anyone would wait until move-in day to commit.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I wonder if it's more the norm in multi-unit complexes for some reason? I've only ever rented from private landlords on both residential and commercial properties and have always signed the lease well in advance of the move-in date. Likewise as a landlord for many years I've always had the lease signed in advance. I've no idea why anyone would wait until move-in day to commit.
It's funny, I applied for a senior housing apt outside of Fresno about a week ago. If they'd asked me to sign a contract, I would have. The apt isn't available yet, but is in a very desirable location in the complex, upstairs and with a view of the foothills, and on the end of the complex, so no nosy neighbors could spy on me when I'm on my balcony. I did send them a $100 holding deposit, and they're doing their credit and referral checks as we speak.

Well, lo and behold, another place called me that is building a brand new facility in Salinas, CA, where I was also on a waiting list, and I have an interview this morning. If they take me, I will not go through with the one in Fresno County.

I asked the Fresno Co mgr if she wanted me to sign a contract when we were doing paperwork, and she said they don't do that until move-in day. I don't get it.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
We didn't sign our lease on move in day...we signed our lease on 'signing the lease' day. Two different things; before we could move in we had to have all the paperwork in, all the monies in, proof that the utilities were in our name. Once all of that was done, we could sign the lease and move in whenever we wanted. We happened to have signed on the 7th and our rent was prorated because rent is due on the first. We didn't move in until 6 days later.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It's funny, I applied for a senior housing apt outside of Fresno about a week ago. If they'd asked me to sign a contract, I would have. The apt isn't available yet, but is in a very desirable location in the complex, upstairs and with a view of the foothills, and on the end of the complex, so no nosy neighbors could spy on me when I'm on my balcony. I did send them a $100 holding deposit, and they're doing their credit and referral checks as we speak.

Well, lo and behold, another place called me that is building a brand new facility in Salinas, CA, where I was also on a waiting list, and I have an interview this morning. If they take me, I will not go through with the one in Fresno County.

I asked the Fresno Co mgr if she wanted me to sign a contract when we were doing paperwork, and she said they don't do that until move-in day. I don't get it.

What happens to the $100 if you choose not to take the place? Most places will keep it if you're approved and then turn the unit down.

As for the second place, I doubt they expect (demand) that you move in on the day you sign your lease. I'm not understanding why you'd sign a contract up front without knowing if you're approved or not. If you're really that concerned, bring it up in your interview. I hope you get the place you want..good luck

Old 08-19-2013, 09:31 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I tell you another thing I dont understand. In the Housing Authority here you have 3 Days from signing lease to move in Have beds set up & curtains. I dont get it??

Old 08-19-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I tell you another thing I dont understand. In the Housing Authority here you have 3 Days from signing lease to move in Have beds set up & curtains. I dont get it??

Really? huh. I wonder why...that does seem a bit odd, but I'm sure they have their reasons. Then again, this is the govt....never know what you're gonna get.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:49 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Those apts are Owned by the City. In other HUD/Section 8 Don't have this rule. Weird

Old 08-19-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Those apts are Owned by the City. In other HUD/Section 8 Don't have this rule. Weird

if you ever find out why, make sure update with the info. It is odd....

Old 08-19-2013, 01:22 PM

396 posts, read 1,851,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It's funny, I applied for a senior housing apt outside of Fresno about a week ago. If they'd asked me to sign a contract, I would have. The apt isn't available yet,
Say that they had you sign the rental contact and they signed too. But the apartment isn't ready yet. They go to clean it and suspect that unit was used for meth cooking. Noticeable stench in every room. The authorities say that unit is chemically contaminated and uninhabitable until thoroughly detoxified, if possible. There is no way they could make it ready by your move-in date. (They might have to just turn it into a model unit).

Yet, they signed a legal contract saying they would provide you with that unit in a certain condition on a specific date. Now you are left essentially homeless. They might have to give you a much nicer place that you approve at the same contract amount. That could cost them thousands every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting