Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 01:33 AM

13 posts, read 20,578 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

On Friday I rented a house here in Las Vegas and was given the keys and it has been a disaster since. My roommate and I are both on the lease but only I signed so far but was provided with the keys:

Friday night after work I went to the house for the first time and discovered the property management company gave me the wrong keys. After several phone calls I was able to obtain the code for the rental lock box and get a key.

I went inside the house and was really upset to see several things we agreed on were not complete.

1. The air conditioning unit doesn't work and this is Las Vegas in the summer time.
2. The agreement was that new washer and dryers where to be changed and they were not.
3. The house was not deep cleaned as stated would be a service provided.

Its rather depressing that I went through a lot of work to get everything done and all these problems are adding up. As a renter I want to know what my options are. I provided an e-mail to the property rental management company today, under 24 hours after initially getting the key, with a list of the problems and photo examples.

When I called to report that they provided me with the wrong keys I was angry that they said it was the house owners problem and not theirs and almost blew it off. Not a single apology! Its basically very clear that nobody went into this house to make sure it was ready to be moved into.

On Monday they want me to go back to the office with the completed lease signed by my roommate. They already had me initial it and took $3,100 for the rent and security deposit.

I really want to cancel this entire thing since its been less than 24 hours, I notified them of the problems and that basically the house is not livable at the moment.

Whats the best way of getting out of this and at least putting up a fight to get my money back?

Thank you in advance for your assistance. I have attached a few examples of the house that the management company said is ready to live in. I wish I could take a picture of a Las Vegas house in the summer showing the feeling of a broken AC!

Regards,
James

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 03:31 AM

Additional questions after reading various items online.

Since the lease copy is not signed by the landlord (they were waiting for me to give it to my roommate to sign) does this technically mean I'm on a month to month basis until that document is signed? My security deposit and downpayment covered my rent until October 1st. Could I technically provide them with my "30 day notice" now saying I'm leaving by the end of September?

Should I go into their office on Monday and say I want out for the above reasons, I need my funds back and see what they say or just ask for my security deposit back and write off the rest?

Thank you!

Old 08-25-2013, 04:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVrenter View Post
Additional questions after reading various items online.

Since the lease copy is not signed by the landlord (they were waiting for me to give it to my roommate to sign) does this technically mean I'm on a month to month basis until that document is signed? My security deposit and downpayment covered my rent until October 1st. Could I technically provide them with my "30 day notice" now saying I'm leaving by the end of September?

Should I go into their office on Monday and say I want out for the above reasons, I need my funds back and see what they say or just ask for my security deposit back and write off the rest?

Thank you!

I think you should step back, take a deep breath, and give them time to make this right.

You already notifed them that the AC wasn't working and the house was dirty, now they need to address these issues within a timely manner.

These to me aren't deal breakers, these to me are hiccups in the life of a tenant. My unit wasn't ready the day I moved either, but they made it right with in 2 hrs. They had a full cleaning crew here and they cleaned it top to bottom. The leasing agent dropped the ball, needless to say, she's no longer there.

Let us know how the meeting goes on Monday.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVrenter View Post

If you can't get this worked out, the answer to your question is yes. Your lease isn't valid until signed by all parties.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:37 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
the AC might actually work. It is likely that the breaker on the power panel simply needs to be turned from Off to On for the AC to start working.

If you really have broken AC, then you really cannot live there for even 8 hours. Not in Vegas in August.

Officially....You dont have a lease yet. If you really want to back out, you should spend $150 (or less) .and have a quick meeting with a real estate lawyer that handles landlord tenant issues. You should be able to easily back out and get all your money back. But since you already signed, who says that the landlord doesn't sign in 6 days and then they say your lease is valid even if roommates signature isn't on it. I am thinking this still isn't a valid lease since the roommate's signature is missing, but I am not sure.

This is why it's best to get with an attorney Monday. An attorney will CYA on getting your money back quickly and how to properly word any notices you give the the landlord. Don't delay. Talk to an attorney right away.

Here is the issue..

Old 08-25-2013, 06:38 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
I think you should give them a chance to make it right and if its not done immediately either don't execute the lease or get the landlord involved. You need rent deducted for every day you were not able to move in, too.

The dirt around the air duct means the ducts are dirty. Either ask they clean your air ducts or have them provide you a supply of 24 furnace filters so you can change them out bimonthly at their expense to help get the system to stop throwing dirt.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:56 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
I agree with others, give them a chance to make it right. They might have sent someone out and "thought" it was done. I would contact them and say you need these things repaired/cleaned before moving in. Depending on their response, then you can figure out what to do. Till then, hang on to the lease.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Did you give them a personal check on Friday? If so, you could put a stop payment on it. Then, go to a nice cool hotel, and negotiate with them on Monday. It would put you in a stronger position, if they have to come after you for money, as opposed to the other way around. And in the meantime, you'd have funds to look for another place, if you choose that route.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. While I understand all of these items are fixable, what really worries me is that I'm already having problems with them "keeping their word" so quickly and I'm worried if something more serious breaks later then it will just be a big fight trying to get anything done.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:26 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Did you give them a personal check on Friday? If so, you could put a stop payment on it. Then, go to a nice cool hotel, and negotiate with them on Monday. It would put you in a stronger position, if they have to come after you for money, as opposed to the other way around. And in the meantime, you'd have funds to look for another place, if you choose that route.
This, I would refuse to move in, stop payment on the check and notify them in writing that the condition of the property is unacceptable. If you really want to move into this place you can give them a limited opportunity to correct the problems, otherwise I would walk away from this property. It would be worth your while to consult with an attorney on how to best accomplish this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting