Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 10,372 times

Advertisements

In July, I paid my rent for my apartment with a money order from Western union. 3 days later, someone broke into the leasing office and stole all the rent money. I have been trying to get a refund from western union and haven't received anything yet. The property managers have been asking for the money and I have been getting bills saying that my rent is past due. Can I legally be held responsible for the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 11:13 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
NO & YES.

NO: The rent money was tendered by you as required and was in the possession of the landlord when stolen. As such, the landlord is liable for their stolen money and technically, their insurance should make them whole. You are not required to pay them twice.

YES: You have a duty to pay the rent again if you receive a refund. If you get a refund, you must immediately pay the rent that was due. The landlord can not charge you a late fee or report it as late so long as you immediately pay the rent to them once you receive that refund.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:15 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
And what do the property managers say about the fact that it was stolen?

Old 08-25-2013, 11:23 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Western Union can stop payment on a money order that has not been cashed yet.

Did you ask WU if it had been cashed, when you first called them? If not, you should have been able to stop payment and get them to issue you a new one.

If it was cashed by someone other than who it was made out to, seems to me WU should refund you, but I do not know.

I think you should contact your local Legal Aid office. They will help you for free. Do it Monday.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:25 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
The rent money was tendered by you as required and was in the possession of the landlord when stolen..
Inorite? It pisses me off how some of these companies try to BS people.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:53 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsweet3 View Post
In July, I paid my rent for my apartment with a money order from Western union. 3 days later, someone broke into the leasing office and stole all the rent money. I have been trying to get a refund from western union and haven't received anything yet. The property managers have been asking for the money and I have been getting bills saying that my rent is past due. Can I legally be held responsible for the money?

You paid your rent in full and on time, they were robbed, not you. They have insurance for stuff like this and if they don't, oy!

anyway, keep calling WU..refunds do happen, but it takes some time. If you can get a copy of the police report, do so. It might help move things along with WU. Think about using a cashiers check from your local bank..easier to refund and reissue and many banks have them for free.

Your landlord shouldn't be asking you for repayment when you already made you payment (you do get a receipt from them when you hand over payment right??) Contact legal aid first thing today so you can cover your butt.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Did you get a receipt? Then you paid your rent. Its not your fault rent was stolen. I wouldn't lift a finger. If you is id cash and it was stolen do they exect you to sy agin?
If you get the money back from WU then yeah pay the rent otherwise its on them.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 08-26-2013 at 06:36 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
I think you should do whatever necessary to get the money order cancelled. But you should not owe any late fees, just repay it once you are refunded by Western Union.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 PM

584 posts, read 1,934,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
NO & YES.

NO: The rent money was tendered by you as required and was in the possession of the landlord when stolen. As such, the landlord is liable for their stolen money and technically, their insurance should make them whole. You are not required to pay them twice.

YES: You have a duty to pay the rent again if you receive a refund. If you get a refund, you must immediately pay the rent that was due. The landlord can not charge you a late fee or report it as late so long as you immediately pay the rent to them once you receive that refund.
if the ll made a insurance claim you do not have to pay again he would be double dipping

Old 08-28-2013, 03:14 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
whoever stole the money order should not have been able to cash it if it was made out to the complex.

if you get the credit to your account then you have not paid rent yet. if the money order was cashed than your beef is still with the usps for cashing it .

my guess is you may have to lay it out and fight to get it back as crazy as it sounds.

it is like a check. if your check was stolen you are responsible for issuing another one to pay the rent .

if the check was cashed by someone other than who it was made out to your beef is with the bank not the landlord. the landlord gets paid regardless. checks and money orders are not cash, they are still tied to you at the hip like it or not since you are the only one who can deal with it and you get the credit to your account.

i have to side with the landlord on this one since it was not cash and everything links back to you fighting it out..

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-28-2013 at 04:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting