Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 01:34 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times

Advertisements

Rental laws are by state, and I'm not at all familiar with California laws, but in Wyoming what he did is the first step in an eviction process. When I evict someone, the first thing I must do is post the notice to evict. (I think only 3 days is required.) At that point, if they haven't moved out, I get my attorney involved, set a court date, supply the paperwork for the court and wait. (Usually a couple weeks.) The judge then orders them to move, and that's posted by a sheriff's deputy. At that point they normally only have a day or two to move out. I can then garnish wages for back payment (as the court orders).

You have a mess. I'd strongly suggest that you contact an attorney to find out what your options are. Hopefully you can prove that you furnished the $12K down payment, and hopefully you can get that back. Anything not in writing will be hard to prove. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 01:50 PM

4,566 posts, read 10,654,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanger25 View Post
it was OUR home, just in my father-in-law's name. His minimum monthly payment was around $500 which is what he initially told us we would be paying but since it was in his name, he required us to pay $1500 a month.
What kind of paperwork agreement do you have with your father in law. From what you have said so far, it appears your father in law bought a house, you rented it and made it look nice. So far, I don't see any type of "legal" claim on your behalf to any sort of ownership at all. Other than your word.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:50 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I'd just like to also point out to the OP, that if you let this get far enough that FIL files an unlawful detainer to evict you, that will go onto your eviction report. With bad credit AND an eviction on your report, your chances of buying/renting somewhere won't be good.

That's why I really think you should try to pay and stay. And also talk to a lawyer. But, I highly advise you to avoid letting FIL take this to eviction court, if there's any way around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting