Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 AM

192 posts, read 826,754 times

Advertisements

Sometimes in life your finances only allow for doable.

My post was how to make the best of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:59 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
I agree that what you propose is normal for college-age people who don't have rich parents.

I also agree that you should put your agreements in writing, and all sign them!

As for things not working out with the part time girl, yes that is probably what will happen. Plan ahead for how you will handle it.

If (Cara, was it?) moves out, the remaining tenants wil have to split her share of the rent until y'all find a new roommate. That is part of living in a group house. Make sure everyone is budgeting for that -- usually in these types of houses you have someone move out every 6 months or so, and it takes a month to find someone, so figure on paying extra rent twice a year.

Also, I strongly encourage you to NOT take the first roomie who seems remotely workable. That can end up costing a you a huge amount of money in the long run, if they mess up the house, or are late paying rent, never pay utilities, and then move out. Not to mention stress. Hold out for someone truly compatible.

Speaking of utilities, put those is your written agreement, too. And don't put them all in your name.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
OP, to qualify to rent the place, do you all need to be on the lease? You might inquire of the LL if you can sublet the rooms. It would put you in a better position to be able to control the roommate situation - you could kick out ones who don't pay, get new ones, etc., collect your own deposits from them.

So, maybe you and Ali can be on the lease, but LL will allow you to sublet the other rooms?

Also, make sure the dog is allowed.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,623 times
Thanks for the (sort of) help! Enkiktd knows more the situation we're in, as 4 of us are still in school, and cheaper living isn't really doable in our area...unless we wanted to live in rape city. I honestly feel like it would work okay, as long as Cara and Christy could figure their crap out. That's really the only strange situation in all of this, I feel.

Edit: didn't see page 2. Nila and NoMoreSnow, your suggestions got my mind rolling in the right direction, thank you so much! And yeah, dogs are allowed. LL wants a pet deposit separate from the security deposit that I feel everyone but the dog owner will refuse to pay. Or at least I will. I've been burned hard from that before. Not my pet, not my problem.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Wow, not sure i would like that set up.You are all on differant schedules. Someone can bail and then what?

I also like the idea of deviding the cost by the square feet of the place, with the common area split with all people. You have the big bedroom you get to pay more for that. No one is entitled to anything other than that.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:06 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
Oh, definitely the person with the dog should pay the dog deposit, alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OP, to qualify to rent the place, do you all need to be on the lease? You might inquire of the LL if you can sublet the rooms. It would put you in a better position to be able to control the roommate situation - you could kick out ones who don't pay, get new ones, etc., collect your own deposits from them.

So, maybe you and Ali can be on the lease, but LL will allow you to sublet the other rooms?
This can be a very good setup -- it protects you and the LL, both. It does mean a lot of extra work for you, and a feeling of inequality in the household.

Regardless, make sure you talk now with all potential roomies about splitting the extra rent when someone moves out. People who are new to house shares don't always anticipate that.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
This can be a very good setup -- it protects you and the LL, both.
I disagree and advocate against subleasing in general, particularly in this sort of set-up. When you enter into a sublease agreement, you remain entirely responsible under the lease for adhering to all its terms and conditions. It's easy to say, "well you can kick them out if they're a problem" but you still have to give them proper notice to leave and a lot can happen in a month. Whatever the sublessee does, whether it be defaulting on bills or damaging the premises, the total onus is on the person who carries the main lease and the only person the landlord is going to come after when the lease is ended is that person.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,406 times
What is the deal with Cara'a friend? Why does she only plan to be there part time? Where does she live the rest of the week?

If you and Ali can each swing $550 a month, I'd suggest trying to find a two bedroom apartment for $1,100 a month.

Between not knowing this other person and a dog, this sounds like a recipe for disaster. If the dog tears up the place, it is your problem because you are on the lease unless a clause in it makes the dog's owner 100% responsible for any damage it causes.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:22 PM

12 posts, read 9,636 times
I wish you well....

but there is just too many variables here.

Things you can't control. Seek smaller house/living arrangement.

It will be less stress.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:24 AM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
I like the idea of agreeing on prices for the benefits included. Yes, the master bedroom costs more. Some people do share a room...

This is college and it is temporary. Roommate situations suck usually but it is an experience, and it won't be forever. Maybe it will work out. If someone leaves, you find a replacement.

You have limited choices and this is one option. I say do it because it is an experience that you will have had.

I had terrible roommate experiences but that makes me appreciate the advantages of living alone.

Everything we do isn't always about 'practical' and 'logical' sometimes it is about life experience.

I knew one lady who lived in a big roommate home, and she loved it. It really depends on the group and if you can stand each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting