Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:13 PM

428 posts, read 2,439,620 times

Advertisements

I've had bad tenants before too. You need to get mad and go Terminator on them, like I did. Don't stop until you find some decent folks. Then when you have them, It'll be time to relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 AM

131 posts, read 184,043 times
taking the bad ones to court. 3 day notice posted to pay rent expires today- so tomorrow We go to the court house to file for eviction. Once I get judgment, I'll turn it over to a collection agency that will go after them. (put a lien on their car/ garnish wages. They do this for 1/2 of what they collect.
I've never used them before but I'm more than willing to give it a try. I've gotten judgment before but it's never gone anywhere.
Check this out I posted an ad in Craigslist. Got a response from someone supposedly in Wales. Wants to rent. Says his company is paying all expenses
and He will be getting a cashiers check for 6500.00 drawn on a US bank.
Wants the check to be made payable to me. And that I take my deposit and 1st month rent out of the check and forward the remainder to someone who is handling the moving of his stuff. E-mailed him back that I 'm not comfortable handling money that does'nt belong to me. Besides We prorate the rent from day of possession. Anyway checked out the phone #'s he provided for himself and his employer.....it's in Shri lanka!!!!!! LOL What a *******..... landlords beware!!!! The address he gave in Wales actually does exisit, but I found no listing for his employer in the wales telephone directory. I feel like E-mailing him back and asking how the weather is in Shri-lanka..don't think he knows I know yet. I reported him to Craigs list. Bad people are even reaching across the pond now. Oh well....................next.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:05 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,424,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doni View Post
taking the bad ones to court. 3 day notice posted to pay rent expires today- so tomorrow We go to the court house to file for eviction. Once I get judgment, I'll turn it over to a collection agency that will go after them. (put a lien on their car/ garnish wages. They do this for 1/2 of what they collect.
I've never used them before but I'm more than willing to give it a try. I've gotten judgment before but it's never gone anywhere.
Check this out I posted an ad in Craigslist. Got a response from someone supposedly in Wales. Wants to rent. Says his company is paying all expenses
and He will be getting a cashiers check for 6500.00 drawn on a US bank.
Wants the check to be made payable to me. And that I take my deposit and 1st month rent out of the check and forward the remainder to someone who is handling the moving of his stuff. E-mailed him back that I 'm not comfortable handling money that does'nt belong to me. Besides We prorate the rent from day of possession. Anyway checked out the phone #'s he provided for himself and his employer.....it's in Shri lanka!!!!!! LOL What a *******..... landlords beware!!!! The address he gave in Wales actually does exisit, but I found no listing for his employer in the wales telephone directory. I feel like E-mailing him back and asking how the weather is in Shri-lanka..don't think he knows I know yet. I reported him to Craigs list. Bad people are even reaching across the pond now. Oh well....................next.

Yea, that scam of sending you a money order or cashiers check, you cash and are responsible when it comes back a FAKE. Beware of this, I have seen this alot.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:44 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
Its a scam. dont do it. Please.

I ahd a house on craigslist also and got those kind of e-mails. They are all scams.

Take your time getting new tenants. I have two homes taht I am trying to rent. One has been vacant for about 2 months. One is just about ready for tenants.

Sorry about your tenant. Out of the three tenants we have had, one was terrible. One was fantastic, one was ok.

Good luck
dorothy

Old 11-15-2007, 02:48 PM

131 posts, read 184,043 times
yeah, I'm bummed, it kind of shakes your impression of others when you have so many all of a sudden. What happened to all the normal people?

Old 11-15-2007, 06:41 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Sorry about your tenant. Out of the three tenants we have had, one was terrible. One was fantastic, one was ok.
What's the difference between a "fantastic" tenant and an "ok" tenant?

Old 11-26-2007, 02:10 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doni View Post
Good for you. I hope you can at least get something out of them.

Also glad you dodged that scam.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,580,413 times
Goodness, I feel for you, as well as the other neighbors who have to put up and live next to these ungrateful tenants. I would recommend that you "NOT" post ads on Craigslist, the majority of responses will come from those trying to scam from oversees. Happened when I put one of my brothers' properties up for rent - nightmare.

I would suggest advertising in the local newspaper or maybe allowing a property management company to take over the handling of placing ads and screening potential tenants. All in all, I wish you luck in getting rid of the tenants from h*ll!

Old 11-26-2007, 09:34 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
Goodness, I feel for you, as well as the other neighbors who have to put up and live next to these ungrateful tenants. I would recommend that you "NOT" post ads on Craigslist, the majority of responses will come from those trying to scam from oversees. Happened when I put one of my brothers' properties up for rent - nightmare.

I would suggest advertising in the local newspaper or maybe allowing a property management company to take over the handling of placing ads and screening potential tenants. All in all, I wish you luck in getting rid of the tenants from h*ll!
My property managers (who suck, by the way) subjected me to an income verification from my employer (who complained to me about them), a credit check (it's on my credit report), a criminal background check (they even tried to contact the police in North Yorkshire to ensure I didn't have a record there, as well as in Dallas and Austin), and a "renting background check" in which they had to go all the way back to 2001 to find the last period of tenancy...but they wanted to talk to those people anyway to make sure I paid my rent on time. They even wanted to talk to my mortgage lender in the UK to make sure I paid my freaking MORTGAGE on time. They also wanted to know how much cash I had on hand, i.e. my liquid asset situation. I told them NUNYA. It's substantial but none of their business and completely effing irrelevant to my ability to pay the rent; my income more than suffices.

Basically they did everything but give me a rectal exam. And what did I get in return? Lies about the appliances in the unit, leading me to spend hundreds of dollars on a washer/dryer set when there was already one in the unit...and they have refused to lift a finger to rectify that situation.

So yeah...they got a good but pi$$ed off tenant. I pay my rent on time, but they don't do ***** for me. Can't wait to move...and my lease doesn't run out until August 2008.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:28 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
What's the difference between a "fantastic" tenant and an "ok" tenant?
A fantastic tenant is one who paid on time, kept the apt clean and left it in an orderly fashion after 18 months.

An ok tenant is one who paid on time 70% of the time, left when he was asked to after NOT paying rent for 2 months and not making any effort to even pay $20, but left no damage ; left the apt dirty but no damage.

d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting