Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 05:24 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times

Advertisements

And if so what did they say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 06:15 PM

68 posts, read 144,179 times
Not yet. The father above me (whom I am closest to and seems to be the most reasonable) is out of town for a few days. So I am debating sending an email or waiting until he gets back to talk to him.

If they could stop riding bikes indoors, I could probably keep my sanity... I mean who lets their kids do that in an apartment!?

Old 09-10-2013, 12:54 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
if you really wanted to push it this may fall in to daycare laws in your state.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
if you really wanted to push it this may fall in to daycare laws in your state.
Interesting.. I definitely have no interest in pushing it but that is interesting to know. Where can I find more info on this?

What about that my light fixtures shake, bulbs loosen and my ceiling cans trim are coming loose from the ceiling?

Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange3324 View Post
I live in a 6 unit condo building and my neighbor to the left and my upstairs neighbor share a nanny during the weekdays. A few days a week (or maybe every afternoon), the kids play in the unit above me. The soundproofing in the unit is pretty good, but I can always hear them stomping around, running around, rolling toys, yelling as they play, etc. It is by no means terrible and it only bothers me during the day as I work from home.

Is it reasonable to ask them to play in the unit next to me instead? Or at least on most days to limit playtime to that unit? The unit below that unit is a renter and they do not work from home

I have only lived here for about 2 months and I have gotten to know everyone pretty well. Everyone is nice so I am thinking this should not be an issue but just want a second opinion
Were you aware of this when you bought the condo? For instance, did you spend a little time in the condo at various times of the day?

If your light fixtures are shaking I agree that's excessive. But to ask someone to have their children play elsewhere because you happen to work from home is a little over the top as well.

I hardly think children playing in a condo because they share a nanny falls under the "home daycare" law but sure, check that out too.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:08 AM

I do not have any interest in pushing the daycare law thing

I was not aware of this when I bought the condo. I went over to the unit about 4 times (2 nights) not including the inspection and the two times as agreed in the contract. So probably a total of 6 times before we closed. Never any noise at all. I'm wondering if they planned for the upstairs neighbors to be out of the house each time... who knows

I think I will ask what their play schedule is and if we can work out a schedule that works for the both of us. That way I can feel out their comfort level before asking for any drastic changes. Bit of a big deal that I have to tighten light bulbs weekly, reapply adhesive to the ceiling cans, etc. Noise is one thing, but I think this, at least in my opinion, is something I should not have to spend my time or money on weekly

Old 09-11-2013, 03:30 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Seriously ... kids riding bikes INDOORS? That is way beyond "normal" daytime kid noise. I'd be seriously annoyed.

Good luck, OP.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:24 AM

Update,

I spoke to the neighbors and I found out that the child who lives above me goes to school everyday and gets home around 3. the first email reply from the neighbors indicated that the kids are usually next door on Mondays and Tuesday and upstairs Wednesday and Thursday. Since that email they have been upstairs every day. So I spoke to the neighbors again and found out that the nanny actually lets the children choose where the kids want to play (either next door to me or above me). The kids choose upstairs every time. They offered to limit what rooms the kids can play in. Unfortunately, if I am in my office, I can still hear them running around, jumping, etc. It is not as bad, but it is still bad.

Do you think it is fair that I ask for them to arrange a schedule where the kids play next door twice a week and upstairs twice a week? At least a rough schedule so I can schedule my work calls around their schedule? Is this really too much to ask?

I just find it unreasonable that they share a nanny and only utilize one unit.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:45 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
At this point you are going to have to beef up the pressure, I'm afraid. I'd just talk to the folks above you, though. That's where the issue is. So, talk to them and tell them you really need to insist that the kids play next door during the day while you are working, or at least during the time when their child isn't home.

Have you told them how rowdy it is? That they're riding bikes up there and it's so bad you have to repair your light fixtures? They may not realize their home is being used as a jungle gym when their own kid isn't even there.

Don't know about the childcare licensing thing. According to this, to need to be licensed they have to be taking care of more than 3 unrelated kids:

Child Care Resource Service | Illinois

If the Nanny is using their apt to take care of more than 3 unrelated kids, then they need a day care license.

I bet once you nicely explain to them how crazy it is, and ask only that the kids don't play up there when their own kid isn't home, that they should agree to that. Good luck. It's a tricky situation since you want good relationships with your neighbors, but no need to be the one putting up with their bad behavior. They need to compromise, too, to be a good neighbor to you.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
At this point you are going to have to beef up the pressure, I'm afraid. I'd just talk to the folks above you, though. That's where the issue is. So, talk to them and tell them you really need to insist that the kids play next door during the day while you are working, or at least during the time when their child isn't home.

Have you told them how rowdy it is? That they're riding bikes up there and it's so bad you have to repair your light fixtures? They may not realize their home is being used as a jungle gym when their own kid isn't even there.

Don't know about the childcare licensing thing. According to this, to need to be licensed they have to be taking care of more than 3 unrelated kids:

Child Care Resource Service | Illinois

If the Nanny is using their apt to take care of more than 3 unrelated kids, then they need a day care license.

I bet once you nicely explain to them how crazy it is, and ask only that the kids don't play up there when their own kid isn't home, that they should agree to that. Good luck. It's a tricky situation since you want good relationships with your neighbors, but no need to be the one putting up with their bad behavior. They need to compromise, too, to be a good neighbor to you.
I haven't told them how rowdy it is yet, as I figured it was implied. I guess I should now mention it.

I should clarify that the kids only play upstairs after my neighbor upstair's child is home from school. So prior to 3pm, the next door neighbors child is always next door (never upstairs).

So in a nutshell, prior to 3pm every day it is peace and quiet. Not a sound. When the upstairs child gets home from school and the kids "choose" to play upstairs, it is a jungle gym.

Given the clarification, do you think it is still fair that I ask that the kids (after 3pm) have a schedule for where they play (upstairs vs next door)? I mean I am offering and willing to schedule my work around their kids playtime.. that is a HUGE compromise on my end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting