Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:22 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
We don't plan on renting again. We plan on purchasing a camper and staying in RV Parks, Campgrounds and National Forests/BLM locations out west. I wish him luck serving us legal papers. Maybe they'll follow me in the mail after we've left the state, LOL. I probably won't care about judgements or having a black mark on my credit report, I won't be applying for any credit, and we have no bills, so in essence, my slumlord will peeing up a downspout.
It is illegal in most states to not pay the rent, that will be slam dunk judgement against you, the statute of limitations on such a judgement is 10 years in most places that it will remain on your credit report. You may think you don't want to rent another place right now but life has a way of changing, and living as you are considering gets old fast.

He does not need your current address to serve papers, all he has to do is use your last known address and the serving is legal regardless of whether you ever receive the papers or not. It does not take 30 days to file an eviction in my state, it can be done much quicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Hope you've got cash to pay for that RV and its eventual replacement. You won't be getting any loans with that judgment on your record.

Also, did you know that MANY RV parks run a credit check if you intend on staying more than a couple of weeks?

That judgment is also going to inhibit your chances of getting employment since most employers run a credit check these days. Sure, bad credit happens to good people sometimes. Skipping out on rent and not showing up in court, not so much.

Need insurance for that RV? Sure you do. IF you can get an insurance company to take you, expect to pay more because your a credit risk. Want a credit card or a cell phone or satellite TV? Expect to pay more for those, too.

Do whatever you want, but the consequences will follow you AND your family for a long time.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
My lease specifically states I'll make no changes to anything, painting or otherwise to my apartment, I don't expect to get my security deposit back at all, because I've already asked how long it takes to get it back after we move out, and he told me it depends on the apartment condition, and stated the deposit would be mailed to me.

When I get ready to move, I'll withhold one month's rent payment, so when I move, we'll be even-steven. It'll take that long (30 days) for the wheels of justice to evict me for non payment. I have a slumlord anyway, so I don't care.
Get ready to be served a Pay or Quit (generally 5 days) if you do this. Unless your lease specifically states that your deposit may be used for last month's rent, you're in default of the agreement. An eviction is not something you want on your records as it can also come with a judgement from the court for monies owed which will also show up on your credit report.

There is no "depends on" when it comes to how long a LL may take to issue a refund statement and check. Every state has rules about this. For instance, Hawaii's deadline is 14 days, I believe California and many other states give 30 days.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Paint can be a real problem because not all paint is compatible and prep is part of any quality job.

I guess it is something I will never understand...

Why anyone would put themselves in this position and expense and expect the owner not to notice?

Old 09-10-2013, 12:10 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Paint can be a real problem because not all paint is compatible and prep is part of any quality job.

I guess it is something I will never understand...

Why anyone would put themselves in this position and expense and expect the owner not to notice?

but geez, it is only paint, please I dont buy all this crap that a tenant cannot change a color, black, can still be painted over white. I dont care what anyone says.

give me a break.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:18 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
but geez, it is only paint, please I dont buy all this crap that a tenant cannot change a color, black, can still be painted over white. I dont care what anyone says.

give me a break.
I rented for a couple of years before buying my house. The previous tenant had done a crappy paint job in one of the bedrooms. I asked the landlord if they were going to re-paint it. They said no, but I could do so at my own expense. HA! No way. So I noted it down when I moved in, sent pictures, etc. then used that room as my office for 2 years. That crappy paint job was still on the walls when I moved out. No way in hell I was going to improve their property at my own expense.

The only painting I did was touch-ups in the living room prior to moving to cover up damage/stains caused by the movers.

If I rented my home to someone and they painted one of the rooms without my permission, I'd be pissed...mostly because most people do a really half-assed job at painting a room and I doubt I'd be satisfied with the results. Then I'd have to go through the expense of putting it back the way it was. No thanks. I'd ding you for sure on move-out if you did that to my house. The only way it would be OK is if you cleared it with me first and had the job done by a professional.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

give me a break.
Anyone who has had a professional oil enamel ruined by a tenant going over it with latex? The latex alligators and peels and every square inch of painted surface has to be stripped.

It is really simple... each new layer is only as good as the surface below and with each additional layer the integrity of the whole is degraded.

In addition, each paint film over about 3 greatly decreases the coatings ability to resist chipping.

None of the above even addresses proper prep regarding kitchens and baths or homes with smokers.

Then there are quality issues with the product... the paint I use is typically in the $25 to $28 a gallon range... a price many are not willing to pay.

Application is another problem area... I have seen too many electrical outlets and light switches painted over... doors, windows and cabinets that no longer work properly... not to mention spills and proper disposal of left overs.

Changing color eliminates the possibility of simply touch ups.

Plus, painters here are required to have a lead certificate insuring proper work practices are observed.

Long gone are the days of hiring a couple of teenagers and turning them loose.

Of course Black can be painted over white... it's a lot more problematic painting white over black.

Anyone that says it is only paint is someone I don't want painting one on my units.

I write the paint specifications for the Hospital where I work...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-10-2013 at 09:05 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler but geez, it is only paint, please I dont buy all this crap that a tenant cannot change a color, black, can still be painted over white. I dont care what anyone says.

give me a break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I guess you have never had a professional oil enamel ruined by a tenant going over it with latex? The latex alligators and peels and every square inch of painted surface has to be stripped.

It is really simple... each new layer is only as good as the surface below and with each additional layer the integrity of the whole is degraded.

In addition, each paint film over about 3 greatly decreases the coatings ability to resist chipping.

None of the above even addresses proper prep regarding kitchens and baths or homes with smokers.

Then there are quality issues with the product... the paint I use is typically in the $25 to $28 a gallon range... a price many are not willing to pay.

Application is another problem area... I have seen too many electrical outlets and light switches painted over... doors, windows and cabinets that no longer work properly... not to mention spills and proper disposal of left overs.

Changing color eliminates the possibility of simply touch ups.

Plus, painters here are required to have a lead certificate insuring proper work practices are observed.

Long gone are the days of hiring a couple of teenagers and turning them loose.

Of course Black can be painted over white... it's a lot more problematic painting white over black.

Anyone that says it is only paint is someone I don't want painting one on my units.

I write the paint specifications for the Hospital where I work...
As an Architect I can confirm everything Ultrarunner wrote here. Painting can be a lot more problematic then most people realize, especially when done wrong. And as a landlord, I promise you, you will pay for the cost of a professional painter to come in and correct your mistakes if you do that in a house that I own.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:23 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,077 times
I had a tenant paint one wall of a nice eggshell off white bedroom, a puke yellow ochre semigloss oil base. Because that was on the clearance rack at home depot. The same tenant took my french vanilla kitchen and made that a different shade of puke yellow. They also did not want to buy enough paint and it looked sponged where the roller ran out of paint. They also were not neat near the ceiling and I ended up having to repaint the ceiling.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjedwards409 View Post
The drama continues with my landlord. Luckily we have paperwork getting out of the lease in the next few weeks, so it will be over soon.

However, we were on the phone a few days ago. He keeps saying he will take my word that the house is in good shape and clean before the new tenants move in. I am still insisting via email that we set up a walk through.

He said he would make time, and that last time he came by he didnt see any damage so he is sure it will be fine. However, he did mention that he noticed the paint is different, so he will have to look at that. The paint was ugly and chipping when we moved in. We made very tasteful and quality imrpovements through our paint job.

My landlord is a weasel and I don't doubt he was planting a seed as a reason to keep some of our security deposit. We have met the new tenants and they mention they loved the paint. (They are also moving in the day after we leave and get it cleaned)

If my landlord states that he is keeping money because we painted, can we force him to prove that he repainted? Is he allowed to keep the money and not change a thing? Thanks.
Just curious, but what state do you live in? If it's legal in your state, I'd record these calls where he is basically telling you he is fine and blowing you off on the walk through. If push comes to shove I'd use that as the basis for an estoppel doctrine argument blocking any claims he could make against the security deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting