Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 12:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times

Advertisements

My comments below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Do you really think the police are going to foot the bill for this door? They were asked to come to the unit, they were told to break down the door because there was a possibility someone's life was in danger. I never said the police are going to foot the bill, why are you making things up?

That someone was known to all the lease holders (read the first post). That someone was invited in (read the first post). That someone was left alone in a the unit (read the first post). That someone sent an email to their boss who called the police because they feared this person was in danger (read the first post).

You are making assumptions regarding what the email said and whether that justified the actions taken by the boss. There is no direct correlation.

What assumptions am I making? Any comment I made was based on what I read in the first post.

You are assuming that the actions by the boss were reasonable and that the email written by the guest was sufficiently alarming to lead to this course of events. Those are assumptions regarding facts that are not in evidence.

The OP and fellow leaser holders are responsible for the damage to the door because it was caused by the actions of their guest. I disagree, I see no direct link between the guests email and the over-reaction by the boss in notifying the police. Other people in this thread have said the same thing and agree with me. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Actually, reading that again, I don't see any reason to think that the damage was caused by your guest. They didn't call the police and they didn't break the door. I can't see where the guest has any obligation at all, unless the email was a bad joke about slitting their own wrists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
I would probably blame the boss who called, assuming the boss called the police over something that obviously wasn't a suicide threat. OP, what did your guest say to his boss to trigger all this, anyway?

Unfortunately so much time has passed trying to get that boss to pay is going to be difficult if not impossible. This really should have been taken care of when it happened. What have you guys been doing for a front door for the past 9 months? It is just open to the weather and any passing burglar or what?
The OP clearly did say that: "he sent his boss a text that she drastically misinterpreted as suicidal, thus calling the police. "

The boss drastically misinterpreted the text and over reacted. How is that the responsibility of the tenants or the guest? They cannot be held responsible for a third parties actions that are outside of their control.

The tenants cannot be held responsible for the actions of the boss anymore then they could for the actions of a burglar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 12:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
We are only getting one side of the story. One person's "drastically misinterpreted text" is another's "reasonable response to a text".

Old 09-14-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
We are only getting one side of the story. One person's "drastically misinterpreted text" is another's "reasonable response to a text".

I agree, but right now that is the only evidence available. Given that there is no other evidence, any other conclusions regarding the facts are just assumptions.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:48 PM

639 posts, read 1,963,775 times
Quote:
That's why I'd like to know what the text actually said. People have been known to harass someone by calling the police over fake suicide threats to get that person taken into protective custody. I've heard of it really wrecking someone's life, getting their possessions like legally-owned guns confiscated and never returned, etc.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:52 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
I don't think it makes any difference that all the roommates knew the person. This person was your invited guest in your home and you are responsible for the damages.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:14 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
just because one glass company said the window can't be replaced, it doesn't make it a fact. try a different company. Maybe they have different window suppliers or different techniques.

I think the landlord really needs to make the choice about a new door. If it's a window fix, I'd get it fixed if I was the renter. If it needs a door, I'd get the landlord involved. What if you get the wrong material door? There are too many choices with doors.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:27 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishipeshu View Post
Does anyone know for sure if I could get the boss to pay? The police report does show she's the one who called them.
I don't see why you're even bothering to blame-shift this to the boss. Clearly whatever your friend said in the text, coupled with his behavior around the boss in general (which you have no way to prove either way) gave her reason to believe he was suicidal. In this situation, your friend seems to be the one at fault for the damage, even if he didn't mean a dumb text to be taken the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishipeshu View Post
My question is, now that I'm moving out...they want me to solely pay for the door damage because I had invited the person over for the day [keep in mind we all knew him and he had lived with another person on the lease prior to ever knowing me].
If you were the one who invited him over, you're legally responsible. Personally, I would sue the friend. But if you aren't willing to do that, you get to eat this.

By the way, if your friend was there, why didn't he just open the damn door when the police arrived? Is he really that stupid? (Again, sounds like he should pay for the damage.)

Quote:
This. And then on the boss's side is that she's presumably spent a lot of time with the "guest" outside of the OP's company and could very easily have been shown other behaviors/statements in the past that support the concern that the text could've genuinely meant he was suicidal. Guest sounds not too bright.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:27 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The tenants cannot be held responsible for the actions of the boss anymore then they could for the actions of a burglar.
The tenants actually are responsible if a burglar breaks a door or window. They received the house with a good door, they must return the house with a good door. The tenant's rental insurance is who pays for the new door if a burglar breaks in, not the landlord.

In this situation, they received a house with a good door, they must return the house with a good door.

The only time a tenant isn't responsible for a broken door is when the landlord broke the door himself, or mother nature broke the door.

I've never seen a door where the glass couldn't be replaced. That glass was put in there by some method; it wasn't grown in place like a salt crystal. So maybe, OP should check with a few more window places.

It might be that the glass can't be matched, but there is a way to get the broken pane out and a new one put in. It might be "glass not available". It is not "glass can't be replaced".

Old 09-15-2013, 12:12 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Interesting discussion on doors...

Oregon... have you actually had a claim paid by tenant's insurance?

As mentioned... the city police kicked in a door after breaking a window because they had a 911 call of 1 second... nothing said... just the address appeared.

My tenant was on vacation... city passed a law that police are not responsible in such situations... called my insurance agent and said it was true for my city... Door was almost the same cost as my deductible... filed a claim and it was denied by the city...

Had a door kicked in that I replaced yesterday... one of my last legacy Section 8 tenants of 22 years... no one knows what happened... yet nothing was taken and NO POLICE report made...

I will be billing my tenant for the door because she failed to file a report...

A $126 security deposit doesn't go very far and this is one reason I no longer accept Section 8.

In 22 years this single family 3 bedroom, 2 bath home has had more broken windows than all of my other units combined...

Old 09-15-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The tenants actually are responsible if a burglar breaks a door or window. They received the house with a good door, they must return the house with a good door. The tenant's rental insurance is who pays for the new door if a burglar breaks in, not the landlord.
I am pretty sure you are mistaken about that, the landlords insurance covers the structure. I checked and my landlords policy covers damage to the building by burglars, but does not cover loss of personal property.

Renters insurance cover their contents and possessions, personal property.

The tenants received the house with a good roof and windows, if hail damages the roof and windows do you think the tenants should pay for new ones?

Quote:
Landlords' insurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Landlords insurance is an insurance policy that covers a property owner from financial losses connected with rental properties.[1] The policy covers the building, with the option of insuring any contents that belong to the landlord that are inside. ...

The policy will normally cover standard perils such as fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake, storm, flood, escape of water/oil, subsidence, theft and malicious damage.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting