Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David32 View Post
"
I have never rented to anyone with an eviction...

Just can't think of one good reason why I would."

Maybe if you take the time and listen to their stories you'd know **** happens sometimes. Not everyone that was evicted is a bad tenant who decided to skip out on the last 6 months. It seems you're just stereotyping everyone.. in this economy but ok. In my cause one of my situations appears as an eviction and isn't even a real eviction..

To clarify, I was never "put out" or came in contact with a sheriff. I moved to Portland, tried to apply, and was told I had "evictions" on my record. This doesn't make sense to me.. because how else would I be renting prior to moving? Since the date of these evictions I've rented plenty of times before with no problem or with a co signer due to low/no credit but never anything for an eviction.

I was equally confused. I owe a landlord but they are considering this an eviction here in Portland when I tried to apply at a complex. I was never forced to leave the property and not only that but the owners were at the property when we left. I have been told many things, like "it may not be entirely an eviction.. but it LOOKS like an eviction" I'm not sure what the heck that means.

I have called a few properties and yes, they tell me to apply. They never fully answer the question it is always "well we consider a number of things.." ultimately just to get the money from the application fee.

I have another thing on my credit but it was paid off. The complex at the time garnished my wages.. so it is paid off completely. The reason why? Because the landloard at the apartment "lost" my 30 day notice letter when I refused to sign the contract with new management. My contract at the time was with previous management, month to month and she didn't like that. This was 7 years ago. When I got to portland they said it is still on my credit.

After some research, I found out that the management has since been replaced. It is their lawyers that refuse to remove it. The property said that they have nothing to do with this anymore, they were paid. It is up to the lawyers to removed it.. even though they were paid. Now I look like I'm someone that skipped out. In total, I do not owe anymore than $1,000 which I could easily pay off asap assuming it would help me get anywhere.

Like I said these problems.. are native the the PNW in my experience. At least where I was from I could get a co signer, pay upfront or something else. They allow none of this here and it's very interesting.
If I am reading this right, you have two "evictions" or judgments for owing two different previous landlords. In that case, I'd never rent to you.

If you only had one bad landlord story, and it showed that you'd paid it off, I might consider it. But you've got on your credit report evidence that you have twice bailed out on a lease. One you paid back eventually, and one you did not.

Perhaps these weren't on your credit report when you applied to the other places. Judgments can take a long time to show up, and sometimes they never do. Looks like yours caught up with you.

One option you have is to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy. Don't know if you have enough other bad debt to make it worth it. The bankruptcy would wipe the judgments off your report and you wouldn't have to pay the one landlord back. If either of them was an actual eviction though - if an unlawful detainer was filed, this will follow you no matter if you file bankruptcy.

You may want to order reports on yourself just so you can see what is what.

As an aside, I prefer renting to someone with a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, than to someone with bad credits and judgments. If you've file a bankruptcy, you can't file on me for years, and if you're trying to fix your credit, you're not going to want a fresh judgment from me. But, if you've already got judgments on your credit report, you won't have any problem adding me to the list and then filing bankruptcy. At any rate, that's how I look at bankruptcy vs. bad credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 12:30 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
........................ The bankruptcy would wipe the judgments off your report and you wouldn't have to pay the one landlord back. If either of them was an actual eviction though - if an unlawful detainer was filed, this will follow you no matter if you file bankruptcy.................
When you have a bankruptcy, all your unpaid accounts still show up on your credit report. It doesn't say how late you were or what you owed, but the account is listed and marked "bankruptcy".
Then there is another place on the credit report where it lists negatives, and "bankruptcy" is listed there.

The eviction is not a financial account. It is a legal action from the courts and it never ever leaves your record. It will be on your criminal record until the day you die as a court ordered action against you.

One thing about an eviction or a judgment against you that is related to a rental, I am not going to have that landlord give you a good reference. He's going to tell me that I'll be sorry if I accept you. So an eviction is not the only thing. It also adds a very bad landlord reference to your application, and I set a very heavy consideration to the landlord reference.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:08 AM

98 posts, read 288,857 times
I was young and dumb once, had an eviction because I forgot to turn in my keys....yup I know... really big mistake... but I called my courthouse here in las vegas and was told I can remove the eviction from my record for $90 dollars... like the thread states it stays on record for 7 years... anyone have an idea of exactly what and how an eviction will be off my records? Or am I bein fibbed by a fibber down at the courthouse

Old 02-11-2014, 05:02 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm1989 View Post
I was young and dumb once, had an eviction because I forgot to turn in my keys....yup I know... really big mistake... but I called my courthouse here in las vegas and was told I can remove the eviction from my record for $90 dollars... like the thread states it stays on record for 7 years... anyone have an idea of exactly what and how an eviction will be off my records? Or am I bein fibbed by a fibber down at the courthouse
Uh, I don't think the clerk would fib to you.

The only problem with the eviction showing up, could be if it's already in the databases that are used to pull reports. It might keep showing up anyway.

If it was me, I'd pay the $90, though. Odds are better that way.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:40 PM

98 posts, read 288,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Uh, I don't think the clerk would fib to you.

The only problem with the eviction showing up, could be if isomething thats already in the databases that amakesre used to pull reports. It might keep showing up anyway.

If it was me, I'd pay the $90, though. Odds are better that way.
If politicians can fib then whose to say not a simple clerk, but besides the point, just wanted more info on how it was possible to remove something that cant really be removed. if that makes sense.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:48 PM

27,203 posts, read 46,518,781 times
Quote:
I plan to pay the guy off soon so I can rent. I see a lot of properties that say "NO EVICTIONS" does this mean no unpaid evictions or even if it is paid I will be denied? This is my biggest question. I know it will be on my record for 7 years or whatever. The landlord agreed to give me a note saying the payment is satisfied once I pay.

Will a letter from the landlords that I owe (saying that I have paid) change anything at all? I'm mostly asking about apartment complexes with the corporate owners. Please don't tell me to apply around because i'm not rich to dispose application fees like that. If anyone has any actual experience or knowledge can you answer me? I need to know what my expectations should be once I pay him off and have the letter. I've been looking on Craigslist mostly and trying to move into Seattle. Portland is VERY critical about this so yea.
Don't apply around....ask around what they will approve or deny without even considering anything else.

Some companies will not tell you but we are even willing to out it in writing. People change and if everything is paid off we may consider you if the owner will allow it but we do charge a higher security deposit due to the history you have....of course everything else needs to check out and be proven.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:57 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
Quote:
"
I have never rented to anyone with an eviction...

Just can't think of one good reason why I would."

Maybe if you take the time and listen to their stories you'd know **** happens sometimes. Not everyone that was evicted is a bad tenant who decided to skip out on the last 6 months. It seems you're just stereotyping everyone.. in this economy but ok. In my cause one of my situations appears as an eviction and isn't even a real eviction..

YOURE RIGHT **** DOES HAPPEN. IF SOMEONE GETS EVICTED THEY ARE A BAD TENANT OTHERWISE YOU WOULDNT GET EVICTED. A EVICTION IS A PROCESS IN A COURT OF LAW.

To clarify, I was never "put out" or came in contact with a sheriff. I moved to Portland, tried to apply, and was told I had "evictions" on my record. This doesn't make sense to me.. because how else would I be renting prior to moving? Since the date of these evictions I've rented plenty of times before with no problem or with a co signer due to low/no credit but never anything for an eviction.

IF YOU PULL UP A EVICTION ON RECORD THEN YOU HAVE A EVICTION. YOU NOT HAVING A PROBLEM BEFORE CAN BE AS SINPLE AS THEY NEVER RAN A CHECK.

I was equally confused. I owe a landlord but they are considering this an eviction here in Portland when I tried to apply at a complex. I was never forced to leave the property and not only that but the owners were at the property when we left. I have been told many things, like "it may not be entirely an eviction.. but it LOOKS like an eviction" I'm not sure what the heck that means.

IM NOT SURE EITHER. ITS AN EVICTION OR ITS NOT. NO SUCH THING AS A EVICTION THAT LOOKS LIKE A EVICTION BUT ISNT.

I have called a few properties and yes, they tell me to apply. They never fully answer the question it is always "well we consider a number of things.." ultimately just to get the money from the application fee.

SO DONT APPLY AT THOSE PLACES, THEY EITHER TAKE PEOPLE WITH EVICTIONS OR THEY DONT

I have another thing on my credit but it was paid off. The complex at the time garnished my wages.. so it is paid off completely. The reason why? Because the landloard at the apartment "lost" my 30 day notice letter when I refused to sign the contract with new management. My contract at the time was with previous management, month to month and she didn't like that. This was 7 years ago. When I got to portland they said it is still on my credit.

SEND ANY CORRESPONDENCE SIGNATURE REQUEST WITH LL. ESPECIALLY NOTICE TO VACATE. HELL YOU CAN FREAKING WRITE IT ON THE BACK OF THE CHECK. I SENT 30 DAY NOTICE TO VACATE WITH RENT CHECK. DEPOSIT OR CASHING IF RENT CHECK IS RECEIPT AS PROOF OF ACKNOWLEDGEMENT. THERE IS YOUR RECEIPT

After some research, I found out that the management has since been replaced. It is their lawyers that refuse to remove it. The property said that they have nothing to do with this anymore, they were paid. It is up to the lawyers to removed it.. even though they were paid. Now I look like I'm someone that skipped out. In total, I do not owe anymore than $1,000 which I could easily pay off asap assuming it would help me get anywhere.

SO CALL THE LAWYER AND TELL HIM YOUL PAY. HAVE THEM SEND YOU A LETTER STATING A CONDITIONAL AGREEMENT TO CKEAR THE RECORD. UPON PAYMENT OF X AMOUNT OWED.

Like I said these problems.. are native the the PNW in my experience. At least where I was from I could get a co signer, pay upfront or something else. They allow none of this here and it's very interesting.

WHATS INTERESTING? PEOPLE DONT WANT TO TAKE ON A RISKY TENANT. THEIRE JUST OROTECTING THEIR INVESTMENTS

As a LL I won't take a eviction. Too much to risk when there are plenty of good tenants out there to choose from. I wasn't yelling just caps to respond

Old 02-12-2014, 07:23 PM

34,258 posts, read 19,215,751 times
I found out I had an eviction once. YEARS later. I was living with another guy who stole my stuff and sold it. I got written permission to be taken off the lease from the manager, told the manager she could keep my deposit.

6 months later he was evicted, and my name was included in it. I never knew about it until years later when I went to rent.

I ended up living in a travel trailer for years until it fell off my record. Evictions suck. Evictions you dont even know about suck even more.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:39 PM

38 posts, read 96,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
As a LL I won't take a eviction. Too much to risk when there are plenty of good tenants out there to choose from. I wasn't yelling just caps to respond
How is it a risk? Judging from the LL in this forum some are pretty shady and dont follow the law anyway.

Sometimes tenant can get a bad LL just like a LL can get a bad tenant. Longs as the tenant credit is ok and have a good job and history I would rent no problem

You rarely hear about a tenant getting multiple evictions or judgements but you always hear about a tenant getting a first eviction

My previous landlord had Alzheimer and was forgetting. He forgot we paid rent and filed a detainer warrant eviction because his mind is slipping but infact he was suppose to file it for his other tenant.

He dismissed it right away but heck it might still be on our record but we have rented again since then

Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 PM

27,203 posts, read 46,518,781 times
In our county so done with dementia can't file an eviction since you have to know what you are doing and how to do it since there are so many required forms and on too of that a film fee that is high enough at nobody by error will file any eviction... Also one form needs to be notarized....not easy for a person with dementia to do.

That means that all the liars who stated they were evicted by error are not taken serious in our area and will be denied unless it is at least 10 years ago.

Incl. in the lies are the ones claiming they were evicted from a foreclosed home without their knowledge since all people get served and tenants are not even mentioned by name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting