Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 04:29 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,639,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
I want to find someone who will rent to me and GF based on my qualifications alone
(she has no evictions or criminal but no point in applying if her credit matters).
You don't get to make the rules.

The number one rule is having enough income to genuinely afford the costs.
(rent plus utilities and any other needed thing you have to pay for)

Not I can scrimp and save every month and sorta cover if I juggle a few bills...
unquestionably enough proven legal income to cover those housing costs 100%.
By yourself.

Anyone else on the lease needs to have a similar proven ability to pay bills
so that WHEN she kicks you to the curb she'll be able to afford to stay there.
Anyone NOT on the lease has to live somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 05:44 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,922,665 times
Quote:
How does one locate (other than scouring craigslist) these people? Is there some "in the know" way to locate the slumlords? If I move I will likely need one and am not willing to do the hit or miss thing. I want to find someone who will rent to me and GF based on my qualifications alone (she has no evictions or criminal but no point in applying if her credit matters). I have never been denied housing before in my life and my credit is amazing compared to what it used to be (now its just very high utilization). I dont plan to start getting denied. I aim low. Where is low and how do I find it?
Head to the seediest part of town and start looking for 'for rent' signs.

As already stated: you don't get to make up the rules; you just get to abide by them.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:12 PM

303 posts, read 818,829 times
Its sounds like you would require her to make 3 times the rent too which is illegal in many places and would never fly in most roomate situations. Combined incomes work. Even if her credit was perfect and she couldnt afford it that would be a concern but that sort of eliminates stay at home moms now wouldnt it (she is not that). Some of you are exactly the kind of people I would never want to rent from. I was hoping to get some practical advice not a bunch of judgy self righteous holier than thou stuff.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:14 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,817,879 times
Quote:
Its sounds like you would require her to make 3 times the rent too which is illegal in many places and would never fly in most roomate situations. Combined incomes work. Even if her credit was perfect and she couldnt afford it that would be a concern but that sort of eliminates stay at home moms now wouldnt it (she is not that). Some of you are exactly the kind of people I would never want to rent from. I was hoping to get some practical advice not a bunch of judgy self righteous holier than thou stuff.
Please tell me where is is “illegal” to require 3x’s the rent....in any situation.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:23 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,006,068 times
A lot of landlords are tougher than mortgage lenders. It's their property, so it's their right.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:34 AM

32,543 posts, read 47,642,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
A lot of landlords are tougher than mortgage lenders. It's their property, so it's their right.
Mortgage lenders are getting 10% -20% down. If a tenant wanted to give me 20% of my property's fair market value as a security deposit, I could be a lot more relaxed about screening. On my best rental that would be a $65,000 security deposit.

Even with 20% down, the mortgage lenders are doing some screening and the mortgage lender won't take people with trashed credit or recent evictions, either.

The mortgage lender doesn't get sued if the mortgage holder causes stupid injuries on the property and the landlord is very likely to get sued under the same circumstances.

Incidentily, I've had mortgage lenders call me for a reference about my tenants. They want to make sure the rent has always been paid on time before they loan a couple hundred thousand dollars.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:27 AM

My understanding is that in California and many blue states it is required to allow combined income and illegal to require all tenants to independently make 3 times the rent as long as together they do. How would anyone afford NYC any other way?

Old 01-26-2018, 11:29 AM

I am starting to think the landlords here are high end landlords that are very picky. Such people have always existed. Research shows anyone with a 550 or higher can probably rent somewhere. What I do not find anywhere is the old "cash for keys, pay the rent or a bust your knees" places. That was a joke

Old 01-26-2018, 11:51 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,817,879 times
Quote:
My understanding is that in California and many blue states it is required to allow combined income and illegal to require all tenants to independently make 3 times the rent as long as together they do. How would anyone afford NYC any other way?
A landlord can require that each adult household member renting a shared unit meet a minimum income requirement individually only if he or she applies the policy equally among married and unmarried couples. Otherwise, the landlord must consider a household’s combined income to evaluate whether or not it satisfies the minimum income requirement. In other words, landlords must use the minimum income requirement in the same way for a married couple as for members of any other household. To do otherwise may be considered marital status discrimination.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:28 PM

So are there landlords that actually would require a married couple to make 6 times the rent? Wow. In places like NYC that would be insanity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting