Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 11,732 times

Advertisements

I want to add my fiance (would be wife - marriage next month) to my lease. I live in California and they are asking to me to sign another lease for an year. I'm on month-to-month and don't want to sign another lease to get stuck for an year. I'm ready to pay processing fees and background check for my fiance'. How do I approach this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 01:14 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
You don't have a lease to which to add your fiancée ... Your lease expired so you're on a month to month under the same terms and conditions of the original lease until such time as the LL changes the terms by giving you the required notice under your state law (usually 30 days). As long as there are no occupancy restrictions and you advise your LL accordingly then your wife-to-be will simply move in with you but unless you enter into a new lease with your LL there's nothing to add her to.

Keep in mind that if you don't sign a new lease your LL can, with the required notice, ask you to leave at any time. You'll find the specific timelines for your particular state linked in the first "sticky" on this forum.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:49 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,602,257 times
What does your present lease say about other occupants?

Old 09-17-2013, 07:21 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,262,905 times
All of my apartments are month-to-month from the git go. But when my tenants want someone to move in, unless they really want them on the lease for some reason (one woman getting married wanted both their married names on the lease - no problem), I just add them as an occupant. That way I don't have to worry about who to go after if anything goes wrong. Original tenant stays main tenant. Then if the boyfriends/girlfriends come and go, it's less messy.

In your situation, I would tell the LL that you really don't want to sign a year lease. If they still balk, see if they'll go for a 3 month or 6 month lease.

If you're a good tenant, I can't imagine them not wanting to keep you. Exception would be if they thought you'd leave during the holiday season when it can be hard to find tenants.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:34 PM

32,491 posts, read 47,436,183 times
If you don't want to sign a new lease, that means you are planning on leaving soon. So just pack up now and move a month or two before you planned to.

You can ask to remain month to month and maybe the landlord will agree to it, but if he wants a lease and you don't want to sign it, you are leaving in 30 days, anyway. So better start looking for a new place now

(60 days in California if you have already been there over a year,)

Old 02-26-2015, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 7,902 times
I currently owe money for an eviction,it was not with housing.I want to know can I be added to someone's lease that's already on housing?

Old 02-26-2015, 08:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker raynell View Post
I currently owe money for an eviction,it was not with housing.I want to know can I be added to someone's lease that's already on housing?
That's entirely up to the housing authority.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:45 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,250,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you don't want to sign a new lease, that means you are planning on leaving soon. So just pack up now and move a month or two before you planned to.

You can ask to remain month to month and maybe the landlord will agree to it, but if he wants a lease and you don't want to sign it, you are leaving in 30 days, anyway. So better start looking for a new place now

(60 days in California if you have already been there over a year,)
I realize this response is old and the thread was popped because of an unrelated post but I wanted to clear up something about California non-renewal time frames.

In California, 60 days notice is required if ALL tenants have been there for a year or longer. In the example the OP provided, if the fiancee moves in and her name is put on a month to month lease, their lease can be terminated with a 30 day written notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting