Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 01:00 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Any update on the basic landlord tenant/renting issues?
I don't know if my mother has been served yet with the eviction notice, I would assume so since it's been a week since the closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 01:50 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I don't know if my mother has been served yet with the eviction notice, I would assume so since it's been a week since the closing.
That's probably why she showed up at the nursing home. Why else would she?

You might be able to check online for eviction info if it's officially recorded.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
That's probably why she showed up at the nursing home. Why else would she?

You might be able to check online for eviction info if it's officially recorded.
I think she thinks if she brings my grandmother back to the house (she was asking staff about discharge) that she can stay in the house. She truly is crazy.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:32 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
Be sure the staff is aware that your mother has no home to take your grandmother to. That would be just horrible if that happened, just horrible.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:40 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
At best, she is very simple minded.....glad you contacted APS about the situation.

It sounds like she doesn't have the wherewithal to negotiate the system from signing up for benefits to finding housing.....she is going to need their help.

Considering her MO, sounds like she won't accept help until reality smacks her in the face and she is actually put out of the house.

I hope APS has someone there that day. It doesn't sound like she is going to have a clue what to do on her own.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
At best, she is very simple minded.....glad you contacted APS about the situation.

It sounds like she doesn't have the wherewithal to negotiate the system from signing up for benefits to finding housing.....she is going to need their help.

Considering her MO, sounds like she won't accept help until reality smacks her in the face and she is actually put out of the house.

I hope APS has someone there that day. It doesn't sound like she is going to have a clue what to do on her own.
I actually didn't contact APS yet....haven't had time. Don't even know if she would accept the help, all she can think is that she wants to stay in the house. Believe me, when she wants something, she knows how to go about getting it, but she is in complete denial about my grandmother and the house.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:50 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Jen, you might want to look into a PINS order for your mom, as she seems to be a danger to your grandmother. PINS stands for person in need of supervision. APS will visit her even if she refuses their services. They will evaluate her situation, check her fridge for food, and see if she is caring for herself. Adult Protective Services would be able to help her with outreach programs and other sources to aid in her transition to a new home.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:01 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I actually didn't contact APS yet....haven't had time. Don't even know if she would accept the help, all she can think is that she wants to stay in the house. Believe me, when she wants something, she knows how to go about getting it, but she is in complete denial about my grandmother and the house.
I have a feeling she will accept help wherever she can get it when she finds herself out on the sidewalk with her belongings piled up around her in the middle of winter.

She will probably lose it and either get arrested or head straight to the nursing home to confront her mother.

I have no idea how the authorities are going to handle this.

She will probably end up in a shelter and lose all of her belongings because she didn't make arrangements ahead of time.

A shelter is going to be her only option until social workers have time to get her checks coming and find her permanent housing.

Up to now, she always got what she wanted because she knew how to manipulate her mother.....that isn't going to work anymore.

Best case scenario.....a social worker goes out there and lays out what is going to happen, no ifs, ands or buts.......and your mother cooperates so they can get the ball rolling before she gets thrown out of the house.

If I were you, I would call APS, the sooner the better...they will know what to do.....that's all you can do. After that.....it is out of your hands.....you did your part.

Your mother sounds like the type that needs to hit bottom before she will even try to help herself......and that's all on her.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:13 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
So one thing I don't understand. If you have closed on the house, did you move all the furniture and belongings out? Did you turn off the electric and water?

Old 12-15-2013, 04:38 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
So one thing I don't understand. If you have closed on the house, did you move all the furniture and belongings out? Did you turn off the electric and water?

It's not the OPs house...it's the grandmothers house. The grandmother is in a nursing home and the OPs mother is still (maybe not?) at the home and it's believed that she will be have to be formally evicted by the new owners because she's in denial about the whole situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting