Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 04:46 AM

19 posts, read 31,237 times

Advertisements

I moved out of my apartment the end of this past July which I rented for 6 yrs at $1175.00 per month. Never missed or was late with the rent, when I tried to collect my security the Landlord is saying that I cooked to much and the apartment needs a new stove due to this fact and wants to charge me $485.00 for a new stove.
There is no physical damage to the stove and it worked just fine when I left & I also painted it before I left. I am told buy friends & family that this is just "wear & tear" and he has no right to do this but he thinks differently. I filed a lawsuit in small claims court & now he is emailing me trying to negotiate a settlement but I don't think I should have to pay for the stove that works fine & looks better then before I started renting the apartment. Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 05:06 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,687,082 times
The negotiated settlement: You get your security deposit back and pay nothing for the stove. The only way he would have a case is if you had some kind of baking business going on.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,864,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm333 View Post
I moved out of my apartment the end of this past July which I rented for 6 yrs at $1175.00 per month. Never missed or was late with the rent, when I tried to collect my security the Landlord is saying that I cooked to much and the apartment needs a new stove due to this fact and wants to charge me $485.00 for a new stove.
There is no physical damage to the stove and it worked just fine when I left & I also painted it before I left. I am told buy friends & family that this is just "wear & tear" and he has no right to do this but he thinks differently. I filed a lawsuit in small claims court & now he is emailing me trying to negotiate a settlement but I don't think I should have to pay for the stove that works fine & looks better then before I started renting the apartment. Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance !

Why would your paint the stove? Did you have permission to paint the stove?

In my opinion, by painting the stove, you damaged it and should be paying for a replacement.

He cant charge you for coooking too much, but for 'painting' it? Yes, he can.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,928,817 times
Default I am thinking the "paint" was an attempt to cover "wear"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Why would your paint the stove? Did you have permission to paint the stove?

In my opinion, by painting the stove, you damaged it and should be paying for a replacement.

He cant charge you for coooking too much, but for 'painting' it? Yes, he can.

If all you did was "cook too much" doubt there'd be any issue. If, however, as part of that "cooking" there was also perhaps some "spills" and in trying to clean up some baked on mess you actually removed the factory porcelain finish and then tried to "paint" over that damage any sane landlord would charge at least the replacement cost of the appliance...

Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,382,464 times
Thumbs down what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm333 View Post
What do you mean you 'painted' the stove before you left? What does that mean? I would not rent any
unit with a 'painted' stove. Who knows what you painted it with? It could be highly combustable and
unsafe for use. I think you owe for a new stove.
Koale

Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 AM

32,482 posts, read 47,425,133 times
Painted the stove? Yeah, you'd be replacing my stove if you did that.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,429,325 times
For the benefit of those decrying painting a stove, there are many different brands of paints available which are specifically for use on stoves and can totally beautify an older stove to look almost brand new. Look it up.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:03 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,296,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
For the benefit of those decrying painting a stove, there are many different brands of paints available which are specifically for use on stoves and can totally beautify an older stove to look almost brand new. Look it up.
Yes, but did he use one specifically for a stove? And why did he paint it to begin with, without asking the LL first?

Something smells and it's not the paper mill.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:17 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,417,714 times
Both sides sound a little funny.

Cooked too much is preposterous.

Painting the landlord's stove before you leave without permission is not right either.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:26 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,956,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
For a little while, yes. But in the longer term, the painted stove ends up looking much worse than before it was painted. Same with those 'refinished' bathtubs.

I agree: 'Cooked too much' is insane, but painting a stove = you bought it.

Ask the LL if you can buy one off of craigslist to replace it, if the stove you painted was not new when you moved in.. You should be able to get a decent stove for less than the new price. Get the LL to approve the stove you select, in person, before you pay for it, and expect to pay for delivery and installation.

Edit: I wonder if english is not the LL's first language, and if 'cooked to much' meant 'burned the **** out of some food and started a fire'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting