Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:55 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
They're probably mulling it over. If they don't get back to you in a week then you can always call and ask them if they received your email.
Nope, in a week we'll only be another 4 weeks from my usual 60 notice email. (they are required to provide a 60 day notice for lease renewal, so I send the information 67 days' ahead). So that will be my next communication to them regarding this matter. I am inclined to promise the place to my other tenants and not permit them to renew if they don't have the courtesy to at least acknowledge my email. But, that would be childish since they have a baby due right about the same time.....so my other tenants will just have to deal with life as it comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,894 times
I have gone up to a week without checking my email, especially if my personal life or work life is very hectic. It's possible they just haven't seen it yet.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:12 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Thumbs down geez...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
UPDATE: OK so I sent a really nice email on Saturday explaining that another tenant is seeking more space and is asking if I have upcoming places available and if so that tenant will wait. So, wondering if they knew their plans. I also told them what the renewal 12-month lease will be, and also (optional) a month-2-month rate. Explained if they knew their plans, it would help the other couple out but no commiou bnt and understand completely if they just don't know their plans. Of course I also wrote that the first week in Nov. is the normal time I send the formal 60-day notice and this early inquiry isn't a substitute for that, again merely if they knew it would help another couple out.

That was Saturday. Today is Tuesday. No response. Not even acknowledgement of the email. Sent to each - husband and wife......
Why the hell are you bugging these tenants? You better check you local laws for harrassment to be sure
you haven't crossed the line. Leave them alone, already. Or, offer them $10,000 for cash for keys so
you and everyone else can get this over with.
Koale

Old 10-01-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Why the hell are you bugging these tenants? You better check you local laws for harrassment to be sure
you haven't crossed the line. Leave them alone, already. Or, offer them $10,000 for cash for keys so
you and everyone else can get this over with.
Koale
Really??? Asking them ONE TIME only is bugging them?? I am quite certain they have not been harrassed. You are a joke.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM

[quote=Koale;31537883]
Quote:
I have a couple (tenant #1) on a month-2-month lease since their lease expired last month. They are good long term tenants needing a bigger place. They are looking for something just like another property I own that is leased by tenants #2 whose lease expires in January.

The people in the January expiration (tenant #2) have their 1st baby due the end of January. They each work about 30 miles away (same direction) from the house they now rent from me. So, it doesn't seem practical they continue to rent my house in their situation. they are good tenants and if they desire to renew their lease, that will be fine with me.

Not the tenants' problem -- but my personal life is very hectic right now so rather than dealing with 2 vacancies, I know if #2 tenants are going to move, #1 tenants would stick it out and wait. So it would be nice to know their plans. But don't want to upset them, tho.

Would you, as the tenant #2, be offended if your LL asked now, in September, if you are planning on renewing the lease that expires in January?[/QUOTE]

worried, yes. Why are you asking? Are you foreclosing? Are you selling? Remodeling? Can they trust you?These are all questions that will surface. Stay out of your tenants lives. If there is no need to upset the apple cart, then don't.
Koale
If you read the OP you would understand why I am asking..... my tenants are well aware that my properties are 100% mortgage free and never have to worry about foreclosure.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:54 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Nope, in a week we'll only be another 4 weeks from my usual 60 notice email. (they are required to provide a 60 day notice for lease renewal, so I send the information 67 days' ahead). So that will be my next communication to them regarding this matter. I am inclined to promise the place to my other tenants and not permit them to renew if they don't have the courtesy to at least acknowledge my email. But, that would be childish since they have a baby due right about the same time.....so my other tenants will just have to deal with life as it comes.

Some people get hundreds of emails and miss lots of them. Or maybe it went to spam.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:55 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Does the lease expire Dec 31 or Jan 30?

Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Does the lease expire Dec 31 or Jan 30?
Jan 14th expires; renews eff Jan 15th

All my leases are effective the 15th or the 1st

Old 10-02-2013, 12:38 PM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times
Quote:
I know you said so in the next sentence, but I do hope that no part of you is seriously considering this. Saturday - Tuesday is not a huge delay in response. Maybe they had a busy weekend. Maybe they're out of town. Maybe, as others said, they're mulling it over. If I received an email like that, I don't think I'd respond until I had time to discuss it with my husband. I also have had weeks where I don't have time to give much consideration to my personal email -- I'll skim for urgent emails, but set aside others to read when I have time to think. And my landlord asking me something that I technically don't have to answer for another month and a half wouldn't really count as urgent in my book.

I understand that it would be nice for you to know ahead of time, but they're not violating their lease by not telling you now. It's also entirely possible you'll hear from them this weekend. If it's that important to you to find out now, or at least get an idea, then I would do as a previous poster said and call/text (however is comfortable for you) in a week and ask if they received your email.

As I said in my first post, I believe they will want to renew their lease. I couldn't imagine trying to move with my due date two weeks away, especially since a lot of babies like to make their appearances a bit early. I think you're fine and will not be dealing with two vacancies at once.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:40 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,983 times
I wouldn't be offended if my LL asked me what my plans were. My lease is up next April and I definitely don't have any intention of staying where I am, so I would have no issue telling her that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting