U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 12:12 PM

6,952 posts, read 21,312,964 times

Advertisements

I have a couple (tenant #1) on a month-2-month lease since their lease expired last month. They are good long term tenants needing a bigger place. They are looking for something just like another property I own that is leased by tenants #2 whose lease expires in January.

The people in the January expiration (tenant #2) have their 1st baby due the end of January. They each work about 30 miles away (same direction) from the house they now rent from me. So, it doesn't seem practical they continue to rent my house in their situation. they are good tenants and if they desire to renew their lease, that will be fine with me.

Not the tenants' problem -- but my personal life is very hectic right now so rather than dealing with 2 vacancies, I know if #2 tenants are going to move, #1 tenants would stick it out and wait. So it would be nice to know their plans. But don't want to upset them, tho.

Would you, as the tenant #2, be offended if your LL asked now, in September, if you are planning on renewing the lease that expires in January?

Last edited by Squirl; 09-23-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 12:27 PM

912 posts, read 1,401,878 times
Offended? No. But I also wouldn't expect what I told you in September to stay binding until January. They could tell you now that they are moving closer to work, but then decide at crunch time that they want to stay. Or vice versa -- they could tell you now that they're staying, then find another home closer to work and leave. Does the lease require a 60 or 30 day notice?

My gut feeling is that with a baby due at the end of January, the tenants are going to be inclined to stay for another lease term.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:17 PM

18,816 posts, read 28,383,189 times
I think you shouldn't irritate your current tenants. Unless your market is really different from the norm, you'll be able to fill the vacancy when you need to.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:22 AM

22,680 posts, read 23,398,481 times
There's no harm in asking. If they know what their plans are they probably don't mind telling you.
Thatswanlady said the rest of it.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 AM

26,998 posts, read 43,377,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I have a couple (tenant #1) on a month-2-month lease since their lease expired last month. They are good long term tenants needing a bigger place. They are looking for something just like another property I own that is leased by tenants #2 whose lease expires in January.

The people in the January expiration (tenant #2) have their 1st baby due the end of January. They each work about 30 miles away (same direction) from the house they now rent from me. So, it doesn't seem practical they continue to rent my house in their situation. they are good tenants and if they desire to renew their lease, that will be fine with me.

Not the tenants' problem -- but my personal life is very hectic right now so rather than dealing with 2 vacancies, I know if #2 tenants are going to move, #1 tenants would stick it out and wait. So it would be nice to know their plans. But don't want to upset them, tho.

Would you, as the tenant #2, be offended if your LL asked now, in September, if you are planning on renewing the lease that expires in January?
We have done it and look at it case by case...

Old 09-24-2013, 12:56 PM

5,470 posts, read 9,213,266 times
I wouldn't be offended if the LL told me why they were asking and if they reiterated that any reply I made was not binding on me.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,964,732 times
Exclamation offended, no...

[quote=Squirl;31522866]I have a couple (tenant #1) on a month-2-month lease since their lease expired last month. They are good long term tenants needing a bigger place. They are looking for something just like another property I own that is leased by tenants #2 whose lease expires in January.

Would you, as the tenant #2, be offended if your LL asked now, in September, if you are planning on renewing the lease that expires in January?[/QUOTE]

worried, yes. Why are you asking? Are you foreclosing? Are you selling? Remodeling? Can they trust you?These are all questions that will surface. Stay out of your tenants lives. If there is no need to upset the apple cart, then don't.
Koale

Old 09-25-2013, 11:18 PM

3,199 posts, read 12,584,602 times
I don't see any harm in it. You would have some type of "notice" a month or so before the end of their lease term because either you would call them a few weeks out to ask "officially" if they want to renew, or if they do not want to renew they are supposed to give you some type of notice. (Our state does not require anyone to give notice if they're moving out at the end of a term, so we always call them to find out. Saves on the surprises). If you are just asking in a casual way with your other tenants in mind, I can't imagine the 2nd tenants would get too worked up about it.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:51 AM

6,952 posts, read 21,312,964 times
UPDATE: OK so I sent a really nice email on Saturday explaining that another tenant is seeking more space and is asking if I have upcoming places available and if so that tenant will wait. So, wondering if they knew their plans. I also told them what the renewal 12-month lease will be, and also (optional) a month-2-month rate. Explained if they knew their plans, it would help the other couple out but no commitment and understand completely if they just don't know their plans. Of course I also wrote that the first week in Nov. is the normal time I send the formal 60-day notice and this early inquiry isn't a substitute for that, again merely if they knew it would help another couple out.

That was Saturday. Today is Tuesday. No response. Not even acknowledgement of the email. Sent to each - husband and wife......

Old 10-01-2013, 10:19 AM

24,671 posts, read 65,169,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post

That was Saturday. Today is Tuesday. No response. Not even acknowledgement of the email. Sent to each - husband and wife......
They're probably mulling it over. If they don't get back to you in a week then you can always call and ask them if they received your email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting