Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 05:44 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,768 times

Advertisements

So it sounds like you have bad credit in addition to owning $8k (ouch!) to two different landlords, plus you will be unemployed at the time you're looking for a place to rent? And the up-front money will come from your parents?

I don't want to be discouraging, but you wouldn't want to rent from any landlord who would rent to someone in that situation. Just imagine the other people that landlord would rent to...who would then be your neighbors!

Why don't you just move into an extended stay motel until you have a job and several weeks of paystubs? Then you can show the landlord that your finances are looking up and you have stable employment.

Also, with $8,000 owed, you'll probably be sued for those debts (if they're still within the statute of limitations). After obtaining a judgment, the creditors can have your paychecks garnished. Keep that in mind when drawing up a budget, and leave some room to pay what you owe.

Last edited by LOL_Whut; 09-28-2013 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: added statute of limitations qualifier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 05:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
I would rather rent to you with a fresh Chapter 7, than the bad debt. So, this might be the way to go for you. Since your folks are willing to help you pay rent, maybe they'll help you with the Chapter 7 cost.

You may have the best luck looking for a room to rent. If you are a subtenant, the agreement is just between you and the roommate, and you're not on the lease.

Another thought - I don't require as much from full-time students as far as proof of income, for instance. What about signing up for college? You can get student loans that will build up your credit again. Just don't default on them. They're really low interest, and a great way to get good credit. Even while they are in deferment, they show as good credit "paid as agreed."

So, I say, sign up for college and student loans, find a cheap bankruptcy attorney, look for a room to rent. You may not be able to actually start school until winter quarter now, so you can also look for a job in-between, until school starts.

Just a thought. Maybe you already have your education.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:02 PM

29 posts, read 58,338 times
Like I said, I'll just go the Chapter 7 route. I recently had to deal with a $6,000 medical bill on top of that $8k I owe. Take some of the unsecured credit cards. The only payment I stay on top of is my car loan; but I need transportation for work. Especially with where I live right now in the hills of Western MA, USA. I'm not really concerned about getting sued. If landlord's won't rent anyway, I may as well file. I was told to try to find a place to stay prior to filing, but that doesn't make sense and seems shady. Can't they have a clause to evict you if you file for bankruptcy even if you still plan on paying them rent, usually?

The extended stay seems like the best option. What do you do about mail, though? My thought was a P.O. Box.

I had a bad couple of years that really screwed up my credit/renting credentials. It's on me, but I still want the opportunity to fix it.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:08 PM

29 posts, read 58,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I would rather rent to you with a fresh Chapter 7, than the bad debt. So, this might be the way to go for you. Since your folks are willing to help you pay rent, maybe they'll help you with the Chapter 7 cost.

You may have the best luck looking for a room to rent. If you are a subtenant, the agreement is just between you and the roommate, and you're not on the lease.

Another thought - I don't require as much from full-time students as far as proof of income, for instance. What about signing up for college? You can get student loans that will build up your credit again. Just don't default on them. They're really low interest, and a great way to get good credit. Even while they are in deferment, they show as good credit "paid as agreed."

So, I say, sign up for college and student loans, find a cheap bankruptcy attorney, look for a room to rent. You may not be able to actually start school until winter quarter now, so you can also look for a job in-between, until school starts.

Just a thought. Maybe you already have your education.
Of course they will, I already ran it by my dad. He was a manager of an accounting department for 25 years, so his money management never really rubbed off. The one thing my parents won't do is pay off my debt as an alternative. I can't blame them for that.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:16 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlon17 View Post
Like I said, I'll just go the Chapter 7 route. I recently had to deal with a $6,000 medical bill on top of that $8k I owe. Take some of the unsecured credit cards. The only payment I stay on top of is my car loan; but I need transportation for work. Especially with where I live right now in the hills of Western MA, USA. I'm not really concerned about getting sued. If landlord's won't rent anyway, I may as well file. I was told to try to find a place to stay prior to filing, but that doesn't make sense and seems shady. Can't they have a clause to evict you if you file for bankruptcy even if you still plan on paying them rent, usually?

The extended stay seems like the best option. What do you do about mail, though? My thought was a P.O. Box.
No, never heard of anything like that. You're not intending to not pay the landlord, so there's nothing shady about looking for a place now. Even if your credit gets dinged a few times by prospective landlords running your credit report, it won't really matter, since you're planning to file bk anyway. You have no obligation to tell the LL you plan to file.

I think you may be thinking of when someone uses credit to buy things or get a cash advance, knowing they intend to file bankruptcy and not pay them back. That's different.

So, go ahead and try and find a place now. If you have no luck, go ahead with the bk, then start looking again.

Landlords are a lot less wary of bankruptcy than they used to be before the giant housing crash. Used to be a deal breaker, but not anymore. For me, anyway, I'd rather rent to someone who can't file bankruptcy on me anytime soon. If you've got bad credit now, it's more of a gamble that I could end up named in the bankruptcy, than to rent to you if you have a fresh bankruptcy. You're more likely to want to keep your good credit once you have a fresh slate, so it's less of a gamble to me.

I stayed at an extended stay when I first moved to this area for a month or so. They're expensive, but everything is included. I told prospective employers that I was staying there, it wasn't a problem. They let me use their fax machine. It had free internet. I also got a mailbox at one of those mailbox etc., places.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:33 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,768 times
I spent a few days in an extended stay hotel last summer - it would be perfect for a single person. It had a kitchen with plenty of cabinets, cooking utensils, pans, dishes, drinking glasses and flatware. The bathroom was decent. There was a table that I used as a desk and a surprising amount of closet space.

Frankly, it was nicer than the studio apartment I had in my 20's! Plus you don't need any furniture to move in. That would save a lot of money right there. It wasn't cheap, but utilities are included, as well as maid service and ample parking.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:48 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,081 times
How did you get $8200 behind? Were you charged for damaging the properties?

What kind of landlord lets a tenant get THAT far behind?

Old 10-11-2014, 03:53 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
How did you get $8200 behind? Were you charged for damaging the properties?
The thread is over a year old.
The OP explained somewhat in Post #9.
The OP hasn't posted on CD for over a year so any further answer may not be forthcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting