Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctina1004 View Post
I read over the lease, and I don't see anything about early termination. I also didn't see anything about the fees that go into breaking a lease.
If it comes to it, what you would need to do is negotiate with your LL. If the property turnover is generally quick, he may agree to terminate your lease if he finds someone willing to replace you quickly and charge you only for advertising fees and a professional cleaning when you leave. That's the best case scenario but there are scores of variables. The bottom line is, though, that landlords aren't allowed to collect rent from two people so once the place is rented out again you're off the hook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 12:30 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
I hate reading things like this. It's such a bummer when you move into a new place and have to deal with this kind of stuff. I am dealing with it in a different way, with constant footfall noise from above me.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
google for info on noise supression foam panels. They sell all kinds of stuff these days that soaks in the noise that is bouncing around in the room. The more carpet/furniture/textiles you have, the more it will absorb the noise. the noise will bounce off hard surfaces like tile and glass so you notice it more.

These foam panels they sell on the web are to absorb the sound. They work and lots of them are inexpensive. check amazon to see what you can find. It might be better than ear plugs and sure beats moving.

Here is something I found by googling http://www.foamforyou.com/foam_corner_kits.htm

Old 10-03-2013, 05:22 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Sware2cod, do those panels etc work on BASS? From what I understand that is THE hardest kind of noise to block.

ETA: I looked at the web site -- saw lots of products that they say will help but no documentation or testimonials or anything like that ... I am wondering how well (or if) they really work. Would be a great solution if they do, but I'm a little skeptical ...

Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 PM

28 posts, read 221,372 times
Does anyone know how I can isolate the sound to figure out where it's coming from so I can leave a note/file a complaint/direct my soundproofing efforts? Like holding a glass to my ear and the wall or something.

It just sounds like it's coming from everywhere.

If I could figure out if it's the people below me, I'd get even more rugs. If I could determine for sure it's the people next to me, I'd hang decorative-but-thick curtains on the dividing wall. (Upstairs? I have no idea what I'd do that wouldn't look really strange.)

I too have the loud-stepping, clunky, let's-bang-on-the-floor type of upstairs neighbors, but it's this mystery bass that's driving me up a wall. I can fall asleep between the bursts of clomping steps, but not with the constant ba-da-da-bump bump bump ba-da-da-bump bump bump.

I sympathize with everyone else in a similar situation.
If only we could all somehow live together in a considerate, quiet building. With strongly insulated walls.

STT Resident, thank you for your advice about the lease! My building is kind of crappy, but is in a really desirable area for a good price. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be on the market long. I'm not really the "quitter" type and look at attempting to get out of the lease as a last resort, but I've never been in a living situation quite like this. (There are other issues with the building as well, but it would all at least FEEL manageable if I was able to get some peace and quiet every so often!)

Old 10-03-2013, 07:09 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sware2cod, do those panels etc work on BASS? From what I understand that is THE hardest kind of noise to block.

ETA: I looked at the web site -- saw lots of products that they say will help but no documentation or testimonials or anything like that ... I am wondering how well (or if) they really work. Would be a great solution if they do, but I'm a little skeptical ...
One of the sets of panels in the link said it was for bass. I am sure there are many other companies that have similar products. Just include bass in the google search. And surely there are companies with testiminials and product reviews as well.

OP: Try opening the windows when you hear the noise. See if it's louder with the window open. It might be another building.

I don't think it will help to post a note or confront the noisy person. This usually creates friction on a permanent basis with the offending party.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:18 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
what kinda heat system do you have? SOMETIMES pipes carry the noise futher than anyone relizes .. and bass will travel
I had a building that was steam heat and omg the music traveled thru the pipes like you wouldnt believe .. and it doesnt have to be loud either .. a sub-woofer on the floor by the pipes or heat vents is all it takes sometimes ..

Old 10-04-2013, 05:32 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
One of the sets of panels in the link said it was for bass. I am sure there are many other companies that have similar products. Just include bass in the google search. And surely there are companies with testiminials and product reviews as well.
Yes, I saw that it said it would work against bass, but didn't say anything about how it works. And I can't tell you how many google searches I did for soundproofing when I lived in apartments and then when I started hearing my neighbor's bass at my last house -- everything I read said it was almost impossible to soundproof against bass. There are some solutions that require losing space in a room by actually making a "room within a room" with new drywall etc. -- the idea is that some of the sound will get trapped/diminished by the 2nd walls around the room. But even that won't eliminate all the sound, and the problem with bass is the pound, pound, pound, pound -- if you hear it at even a low level, it's horribly annoying. (And of course building a room within a room isn't practical in most situations, especially for renters!)

I don't mean to be pessimistic -- it's just that bass sounds are different from other sounds. To me, they are the worst thing EVER -- I would go insane in about 24 hours if I had to listen to them all day/night.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:40 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Before you try to break the lease and move, realize that the next apt may not be any better, or could end up worse.

As far a earplugs, I use Flents Quiet Time (can purchase at Walmart), their NRR rating is 33. They cost around $6 for 40 pair. They are a soft material that are easy to insert, make sure with any ear plugs that they aren't half sticking out of your ears or they will not be that effective. I roll them between my fingers to make them thin and then insert them, and they will expand in your ear.

My a/c unit is as loud as a 747, and they cut out that racket; also, when I did have a neighbor who played music with bass loud enough to rattle the windows, the plugs cut out that noise as well.

Oh, and I am one of the lightest sleepers in the world, so if they did the trick for me, they'd help you as well.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:46 AM

639 posts, read 1,963,167 times
When I was hearing loud bass late at night and couldn't figure out where it was coming from, every time I heard it I'd go on a walk around the neighborhood. Eventually I found the source--it was a van. As far as I can tell, whenever the van-owning guy was working the closing shift at a local store, he would pull his van up close to the door and blast the music for he could hear it inside when he was closing. I could hear it down the street, I bet there were literally hundreds of sleeping people being disturbed by it. I hate bass and wish it was banned, and the ban actually enforced.

But the sound could even be from a car parked half a mile away, from a house half a mile away...I would call the police when you hear the noise, surely it's bothering everybody else too. Let them find the source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting