Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:12 PM

92 posts, read 201,685 times

Advertisements

I empathize with you, OP. We broke our lease (two months' rent fee) for this very reason. Neighbor below had a surround sound system and played it all the time. Sound so strong it vibrated our furniture. After a semi-altercation between hubs and the male neighbor, we bounced. When it comes to peace and quiet (not to mention dude was quite threatening), we don't play. We figured an instance like that is what having emergency funds are for.

I hope you find a peaceful unit, either way you decide to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 04:32 AM

986 posts, read 2,494,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctina1004 View Post
Thank you for the tips!

Last night, one of my neighbors was playing Spanish love ballads very loudly till around midnight. (I was running my white noise machine AND bundled up so I could run the AC for extra noise, but I could still hear it.)
I wake up at 6am, so after a few nights of poor sleep, I'm exhausted! In this instance, I'm pretty sure it was my neighbor right next door.

But sometimes I drive myself crazy trying to figure out where the music is coming from so I at least know who to be angry at. Or to at least give myself the option of leaving a very polite ("Hey, I'm sure you'd want to know if your music was interfering with another person's sleep, etc. etc.") note.

(This weekend, one neighbor in my building was playing their loud music. And I couldn't fall asleep till it was over. And then someone else started playing music around 9am Sunday morning! Ugh.)

I truly hate earplugs, but I suppose it's my only option. I typically can't hear the music in the hallway. Even if I sneak out and press my ear to the door of the room I think it's coming from. So I feel like getting management involved would be useless. Unless I want to keep filing complaints to try to set a precedent so I can get out of my lease sooner? Would that work?

I don't know how I'm going to make it 11 more months. I regret moving into this apartment. At my last place, sure, you could hear noise sometimes, but my white noise machine drowned it out perfectly.
Do a spray-and-pray by printing an identical note for every possible neighbor's door so they won't feel singled out. That is, if you can stealth-deliver the notes. At least you'll know that the right idiot probably got the message.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:47 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,282,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctina1004 View Post
I read over the lease, and I don't see anything about early termination. I also didn't see anything about the fees that go into breaking a lease.
When I broke a lease the clause was that it had to be done within the first 30 days of occupancy, plus one month's rent. I wanted out that bad, so did it. Ask your leasing office what your options are.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 AM

9,881 posts, read 9,480,213 times
What is wrong with people that they insist on playing their bass so high and are totally unawares or dont care about others who have to put up with it???????????????

Old 10-26-2014, 05:47 PM

139 posts, read 150,822 times
I have neighbors who do this - they play lively spanish music and occasionally have parties that go until 3 or 4am. I think several people live in the apartment and when a certain person or two are there, that's when the music is on.

Saturday mornings(and into the afternoon) are their favorite time to blast the music leaving my walls and floors vibrating. I hate it because I love nothing more than to lounge around and drink coffee on Saturday mornings and their music ruins it. The thing I hate the most about this kind of music is that it is pretty much impossible to think or really concentrate on anything when they are blasting it. It's very intrusive.

I really wish apartment buildings would just ban the subwoofers. There is no reason for anyone to blast bass in an apartment building. Or noise complaints need to be more easily enforceable.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:06 AM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromageball View Post
I have neighbors who do this - they play lively spanish music and occasionally have parties that go until 3 or 4am. I think several people live in the apartment and when a certain person or two are there, that's when the music is on.

Saturday mornings(and into the afternoon) are their favorite time to blast the music leaving my walls and floors vibrating. I hate it because I love nothing more than to lounge around and drink coffee on Saturday mornings and their music ruins it. The thing I hate the most about this kind of music is that it is pretty much impossible to think or really concentrate on anything when they are blasting it. It's very intrusive.

I really wish apartment buildings would just ban the subwoofers. There is no reason for anyone to blast bass in an apartment building. Or noise complaints need to be more easily enforceable.
Yup. Attaching speakers to common walls, surround sound, and subwoofers are not really compatible with shared living quarters. It's not a hard thing to logic out and sorry about your toys, but I don't know why more people just don't follow some simple and practical regulations.

There are things you can do and things you can't in every living situation.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:48 AM

15,197 posts, read 10,158,323 times
I am dealing with this exact same issue right now. I have been here almost 4 years and starting about 6 weeks ago someone moved in with a sound system or bought one because I have the bass noise going on every friggin' day. The HOA told me to call our guard who determined that it was coming from, let's say #123. They deny it's them and the HOA manager comes into my apartment to hear the noise, then their apartment and declares it is not them either. She has not been very helpful because we can't figure out where it is coming from and at one point she told me it is a "resident to resident" issue which is odd considering when I first complained about this noise she sent all the building residents an email talking about fines, etc. for disturbing your neighbors.

Logically it would seem it is coming from the units either above or below me but I know it's not them. I hear it in every room of the condo including my bedroom closet which only shares the floor & ceiling with those neighbors. Unfortunately standing outside the different apartments doesn't help as we have metal doors. Other than footsteps above I don't hear anything else, just this damn bass.

Thankfully my lease is up in 5 months and I am hoping to buy my own place but if it gets to the point where I can't stand it anymore I am going to check with a Real Estate attorney to see about breaking the lease.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:22 PM

525 posts, read 654,805 times
I know this thread was dug up from the graveyard, but I have a funny relevant story. Last weekend (Memorial Day weekend) our city had a Live outdoor Rockfest. Not our scene and we totally didn't pay any attention. But around dusk, we took the pupper for a walkie, and we heard bass. And laughed saying that someone in the neighborhood must be having a graduation party, and I sure hoped it would end by bedtime. Nope, bedtime it got WORSE. OMG, I sleep with a floor fan for the white noise and we could still hear the bass. Well it was giving me a headache and so around 1am I got up to call in a complaint, but thought to check the neighborhood social site first to see if anyone knew anything, or if I was maybe hallucinating. Everyone is complaining about the music, and it was from this Rockfest that is a full 4 miles (in a straight shot) from our neighborhood. People could hear Def Leppard CLEARLY from outside their houses, and everyone could hear the bass and some could even hear the music from within. Many complaints to the venue (security kept SWEARING it would be ove in 30 minutes... an hour ago), many calls to local (we are a municipality within the larger city), calls to city council members (phone numbers were passed around). It was actually really funny.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:53 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,301,116 times
MR. BASS MAN ~ Johnny Cymbal (1963) - YouTube

Old 06-02-2017, 06:25 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,858,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I am dealing with this exact same issue right now. I have been here almost 4 years and starting about 6 weeks ago someone moved in with a sound system or bought one because I have the bass noise going on every friggin' day. The HOA told me to call our guard who determined that it was coming from, let's say #123. They deny it's them and the HOA manager comes into my apartment to hear the noise, then their apartment and declares it is not them either. She has not been very helpful because we can't figure out where it is coming from and at one point she told me it is a "resident to resident" issue which is odd considering when I first complained about this noise she sent all the building residents an email talking about fines, etc. for disturbing your neighbors.

Logically it would seem it is coming from the units either above or below me but I know it's not them. I hear it in every room of the condo including my bedroom closet which only shares the floor & ceiling with those neighbors. Unfortunately standing outside the different apartments doesn't help as we have metal doors. Other than footsteps above I don't hear anything else, just this damn bass.

Thankfully my lease is up in 5 months and I am hoping to buy my own place but if it gets to the point where I can't stand it anymore I am going to check with a Real Estate attorney to see about breaking the lease.
You don't need an attorney to break your lease..read your lease and see what it says about early termination. Florida is a bit different when it comes to breaking the lease...if the landlord doesn't agree to a penalty, they can hold you responsible for the balance of that lease. So, read your lease, talk to your landlord and get any agreement in writing.

As for the bass...forget your guard...call the police. They will come out and they will give one warning, after that the tickets start piling up. Are you county or city? Not that it matters, but when you call ask for the officers that patrol your area.

Talk to your neighbors and see if they can help figure out where the noise is coming from. it took us awhile to find the source of our bass noise...it was 5 units away (in a 12 unit building). Not sure how you condos are set up, but you'll find them..it just takes time. You might have to literally go door to door and listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting