Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,236 times

Advertisements

I am renting an apartment on Long Island (Suffolk County) in a private home under a month-to-month lease but have to relocate to a new place (same location). My move-in date into my new apartment is 01Nov13. Due to extenuating circumstances I would feel more comfortable giving my current landlord the required 30-day notice on the day I move out, which is 30Oct13, being fully aware that I have to pay November's rent twice, for the old as well as the new apartment. Are there any negative repercussions I should be aware of? Provided I leave the apartment in excellent condition, can the landlord keep my security deposit anyway as a way of "punishing" me for notifying him of my intent to vacate the apartment on the day I leave? Or in short, can the security deposit be used for anything other than repairs and/or unpaid rent? Thank you for your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 06:18 PM

723 posts, read 2,192,944 times
I'm pretty sure as long as the rent is paid up they probably don't care whether you're in it or not.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardeningFreak View Post
I am renting an apartment on Long Island (Suffolk County) in a private home under a month-to-month lease but have to relocate to a new place (same location). My move-in date into my new apartment is 01Nov13. Due to extenuating circumstances I would feel more comfortable giving my current landlord the required 30-day notice on the day I move out, which is 30Oct13, being fully aware that I have to pay November's rent twice, for the old as well as the new apartment. Are there any negative repercussions I should be aware of? Provided I leave the apartment in excellent condition, can the landlord keep my security deposit anyway as a way of "punishing" me for notifying him of my intent to vacate the apartment on the day I leave? Or in short, can the security deposit be used for anything other than repairs and/or unpaid rent? Thank you for your feedback.
Nothing wrong with what you are planning to do as long as it does not conflict with your rental contract. Check it to make sure. While 30 day notice is the most common required by state laws, some leases add a requirement for additional time to that.

Check your state laws here //www.city-data.com/forum/renti...nant-laws.html

and familiarize yourself with the requirements the landlord must adhere to regarding the return of your security deposit. If the landlord does not follow those requirements exactly he looses all rights to your deposit.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:51 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Some leases also restrict move outs over the holiday/winter months. It is much harder to re-rent an apartment/house over Thanksgiving/Christmas than any other time. So double check your lease for anything like that. However, if I were your landlord, and you were going to pay rent for November, but move out on the 1st, as long as I was able to start showing it immediately, I'd be thrilled. In fact, I'd probably even be able to get it rented before November 30th and be able to give you some November rent back.

The only other thing I can think of to make sure of is what to do with the utilities. You'll probably want to keep them on until either November 30th or a new person moves in, whichever is first. You'd hate to turn off the heat and freeze the pipes, and then have to pay for the damage that causes.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I see no problem at all with what you are planning to do. When you give the written 30 day notice, you could include something about if they are able to rent the place before the end of the month, please return any overpaid rent to me. Be sure and give your forwarding address, so they can't claim they couldn't send your security deposit refund to you. You will need some proof of delivery of the 30 day notice. Personally, I think emails are good enough, if that's how you've been communicating. But, to be safe, you may want to send it certified, return receipt.

Security Deposit Law Guide 50 States | Landlord.com

Hope you will be happy in your new place :-)

Old 10-03-2013, 03:36 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times
I always run concurrent leases/mortgages for at least a week when I move. It gives me plenty of time to move in and clean the old place. I pay for both places at the same time, as you're doing, and the landlord doesn't know or care that I'm sleeping somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting