Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:37 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How do they know who did it?

They go thru the trash to find anything that can identify you. Sometimes it's not too hard because the coons and cats have torn into the bags and it's laying right there on blacktop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 04:24 PM

90 posts, read 213,264 times
I lived in an HOA for years. They have to give you a fix-it notice before they can give you a fine. The fines are usually $100 per incident. The HOA will not speak to you only the owner. When you got your lease you should of been given a big rule book from the HOA. How could you possibly know to follow their rules if you where never given their rules! My HOA had a bunch of crazy rules and a number of times we got letters for our LL. Our LL was big on leaving trash by their house and working on their car in their drive way, both big No no's in my HOA. I would send a Demond letter saying to little too late. That's like giving you a late fee for rent you paid 9 months ago. But you are responsible for the trash. I would ask your old neighbors if your trash was really all over the road or not. Best of luck.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:22 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
You could give it a try though if they are your neighbors, if the hoa board is small, if the hoa is self managed, if there's a more gossipy or kind board member. No big deal, just say, I'm having terrible trouble with soandso...did you? I'm hearing I should sue you all too if what he's saying is true.

They may sit up and take notice. And could be a quick thing to be able to tick off your list of what to do now.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:48 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
They go thru the trash to find anything that can identify you. Sometimes it's not too hard because the coons and cats have torn into the bags and it's laying right there on blacktop.
Sounds like a good opportunity to get back at someone in the complex you are mad at.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a good opportunity to get back at someone in the complex you are mad at.

How?

If you're throwing your trash into the compactor (like you're supposed to) there's no way to get it out unless you climb inside.

Anyone who leaves their trash outside their door, on the ground next to the compactor or on the stairs going to the compactor, deserve to be charged for it's removal.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:01 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
Wow so people are going to go through a bag of trash just to levy a $10 fine? Sounds like a fun job

Old 10-06-2013, 07:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
How?

If you're throwing your trash into the compactor (like you're supposed to) there's no way to get it out unless you climb inside.

Anyone who leaves their trash outside their door, on the ground next to the compactor or on the stairs going to the compactor, deserve to be charged for it's removal.
It wouldn't be that hard to get a piece of someone's mail.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:46 AM

Quote:
It wouldn't be that hard to get a piece of someone's mail.

Considering we have locked mailboxes and no door to door delivery, it would be pretty hard. Unless you somehow got a hold of someone's key and literally tried all the 950+ mailboxes until you found the one you're looking for. (the boxes are numbered, no names)

Remember, I am sharing what goes here at my complex, not in a neighborhood of free standing mailboxes and trash sitting on the curb.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Wow so people are going to go through a bag of trash just to levy a $10 fine? Sounds like a fun job

The maintenance guys are the ones who have to clean it up and they're the ones who suggested fines, and I don't blame them one bit.

It's not that hard to open the door, put in your trash, push the green button and walk away. If you wont' do that, then you deserve to charged for every bag you leave out.

I think they were hoping the fines would deter people from being ignorant, but only it's only showing they have more money than brains.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 PM

6 posts, read 11,159 times
Wow, this must the be first time I actually agree with Kim.

I honestly don't know how idiots like this survive this long.

We have the same problem in our condo building, but the idiots on the condo board will do nothing about it! The maintenance staff are too nice to do anything. Every floor has a small room and a trash chute in that room, for some reason, some folks think that it's okay to just leave their trash in that little room instead of OMG, pulling the trash chute open and placing their trash inside.

So the next time someone left their festering trash in the room, I got gloves and a mask, and opened it up and went through it, found their room number, and places the trash back against their door with a note that said "Are you mentally retarded? Do you need someone to give you instructions on how to dispose of your trash?"

The trash was never left in the room again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting