Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times

Advertisements

I agree with the others that you should ask for a rent abatement (reduction) because of not being able to use the balcony. Tell the manager that you rented an apartment with a balcony, and are paying the amount of rent that should include a balcony. Because you cannot use the balcony, and there is no date as to when you will be able to use the balcony, you want a rent abatement of $100? $50? retroactive to your move-in day, until the day you have a balcony you can use.

If they say no, take them to court over it, asking the judge to require the management to lower your rent. I'd be furious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 10:41 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,255,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teincilove View Post
No. It was after I signed the lease and when I moved in that I got the info. I'm not upset about staying off the balcony, I was just wondering how long was acceptable. No reduced rent or anything like that. I wish had known before moving in...but I wish I had known a lot of things before moving in. The manager made it sound like any day now they'd be putting up new decks...I probably won't get to use the space during my lease from the sound of things.
Did you have big plans for your balcony?

Figure out the square footage of the balcony vs the rest of your apartment and what you pay per square foot. Then figure out the cost of you not being able to enjoy that particular square footage from the day you moved in. $10 per month? $100 per month? Then sue them for the difference. Or ask for a reduction in future rent for the difference.

But not before you read your lease.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2013, 05:01 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,394 times
I had a similar situation years ago when I lived at an apartment complex that had a nice pool near my unit. I never even got to use the pool since shortly after I moved in they closed the pool for repairs. It remained closed and untouched for over a year. I never thought about asking for reduced rent since the pool, which was one of the reasons I moved there, was closed and I was never able to use it.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I agree with the others that you should ask for a rent abatement (reduction) because of not being able to use the balcony. !
Maybe I'm not reading properly but it seems clear from the OP's post that the question he's asking has less to do with a rent reduction but approximately how much time the balcony repairs should take. Specifically asking the landlord would be the obvious first step.

Quote:
No. It was after I signed the lease and when I moved in that I got the info. I'm not upset about staying off the balcony, I was just wondering how long was acceptable. No reduced rent or anything like that.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:59 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,760,872 times
Yah why not call them up and say hey, I'm trying to be a pest, but it rented a balcony unit and after I signed you said not to use it and repairs were imminent. It's been quite some time, any update on the repairs? Then you can always add, hey, how about a bit if a reduction due to not being done in a timely manner?

Old 10-23-2013, 08:04 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
your talking about safety here, just stay off it until they are fixed, this really is a no brainer.

Why would you even think your entitled to any sort of reduction, because you can't use the balcony? It is a structural problem that needs to be addressed. Adventually you will be able to use it.
It isn't like the stove is broken and you have to go out to eat all the time, it is a balcony that you could live without for a while. It isnt the end of the world.

seriously, it is a safety issue. would you rather use it, it collappses and you die.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 AM

60 posts, read 289,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Maybe I'm not reading properly but it seems clear from the OP's post that the question he's asking has less to do with a rent reduction but approximately how much time the balcony repairs should take. Specifically asking the landlord would be the obvious first step.
Yes, this was the issue. Part of the reason I did rent this apt was because it has fairly large balcony and I would definitely use the space. Anyway, I went to manager and explained that I was really wanting to use the space and I was hoping they'd start soon. She told me they would try to go ahead and get it done ASAP. That was around 2 weeks ago and yesterday they tore down the balcony and put up a new one. I'm guessing they'll be doing all of them over the next couple weeks.

The issue wasn't not using it. It's that when you rent to someone the entire apartment should be in safe, usable condition. You don't rent someone a home with a nice garage and then tell them they can't use it because it's unstable when they move-in.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:12 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Yes, this was the issue. Part of the reason I did rent this apt was because it has fairly large balcony and I would definitely use the space. Anyway, I went to manager and explained that I was really wanting to use the space and I was hoping they'd start soon. She told me they would try to go ahead and get it done ASAP. That was around 2 weeks ago and yesterday they tore down the balcony and put up a new one. I'm guessing they'll be doing all of them over the next couple weeks.

The issue wasn't not using it. It's that when you rent to someone the entire apartment should be in safe, usable condition. You don't rent someone a home with a nice garage and then tell them they can't use it because it's unstable when they move-in.
Glad it worked out for you - enjoy your balcony!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting