Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 03:24 PM

23 posts, read 31,708 times

Advertisements

If a tenant back out from a rental signed contract and give up deposit. Does deposit belong to lanlord or realtor agent/broker? Thank you.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-19-2013 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 04:21 PM

390 posts, read 714,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotshopper View Post
If a tenant back out from a rental signed contract and give up deposit. Does deposit belong to lanlord or realtor agent/broker? Thank you.
Is this question real or theoretical? If real, read your contract for penalties for breaking your lease.

If theoretical, I don't know why a deposit would ever be correlated to a realtor agent/broker - and I would note it is not common here to use a realtor agent/broker for a rental property. For apartments, breaking a lease usually results in a penalty of 1-2 months rent which can be far more than the deposit.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:04 PM

23 posts, read 31,708 times
It is a real question. We are owner. We did not get any portion from that deposit. We also have to pay the fee for the agent as contract between 2 parties(btw we are ok with this part) I m just curious about that deposit.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:27 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,325,463 times
Quote:
It is a real question. We are owner. We did not get any portion from that deposit. We also have to pay the fee for the agent as contract between 2 parties(btw we are ok with this part) I m just curious about that deposit.
Did they put it in an escrow account or something? Surely it's not sitting in the Agent's pocket....

Old 10-19-2013, 07:33 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
I manage my own properties. When I accept a deposit to hold the place, we sign an agreement that I keep this money if the applicant defaults or it will be applied to the security deposit when we sign the actual lease (I usually just take $100 to hold the place).

Once the lease is signed -- which means I get first month's rent and another full month's amount for security deposit -- I will refund whatever is unused from the time they back out to the time I get new tenants, less any damages.

If they never moved in, I would do the same as if they did move in. So if the place is occupied in 2 weeks by another, they would get all back except 2 weeks' rent.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Sounds like it would depend on the wording in your contract with the agent. If it does not entitle the agent to keep the deposit then I would expect them to pay it to the owner.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Sounds like it would depend on the wording in your contract with the agent. If it does not entitle the agent to keep the deposit then I would expect them to pay it to the owner.
Exactly - you must read your contract for the answer. It's possible that the agent somehow earned a fee/commission (per the contract) and that's why they took the deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting