Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 15,272 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I moved out of my apartment July 31st and I just got a "final account statement" in the mail dated October 14th. It showed one charge of $180 to "pull and seal carpet", which I take full responsibility for as I know my cat caused some damage. The only other charge was $1600 for "rent loss 2 months due to damages". Could it have possibly taken that long to fix the carpet? What should I do to find out if this charge is really valid? Also, I had paid a pet deposit of $300, which would more than cover the carpet damage, but under "total deposits on hand", my landlord listed $0. Shouldn't this deposit be applied to damages? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 10:42 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Maybe you misunderstood and your "pet deposit" was a "non-refundable pet fee". You don't get non-refundable fees back and they don't apply to damage.

Whether or not you pay for loss of rent depends upon when you gave notice that you were moving and whether or not the lease was up.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:43 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
There is zero chance that is legit for the 2 months rent. Tell your LL you will be seeing her in small claims court.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:45 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboots View Post
$1600 for "rent loss 2 months due to damages".

Could it have possibly taken that long to fix the carpet?
What should I do to find out if this charge is really valid?
Start by talking to them. See what they say.
Ask them for more detail and clarity.

Afterward, send them an "As per our phone chat today, my understanding is..." written letter.
Go from there.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:03 AM

A little more info...I did give more than 30 days notice and my lease was up. They called it a "pet deposit", not a "pet fee".

Old 10-19-2013, 11:50 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboots View Post
A little more info...I did give more than 30 days notice and my lease was up. They called it a "pet deposit", not a "pet fee".
Did you have a security deposit that they took the $1600 out of? Or are they trying to bill you extra for this?

If the pet deposit was in fact a deposit they should have applied it towards the damages.

There is little justification for them charging you two months lost rent for the carpet replacement. It should not have taken more then a week to replace the carpet.

Many states require that the landlords provide you with written intemization of any damages they intend to deduct from the security deposit, within 30 days after you move out. If they do not do this then they are not entitled to keep any of your deposit. Check your state laws in the sticky thread at the top of the renting forum.

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-19-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 12:05 PM

Thank you I really appreciate all of these responses! I did not have a security deposit because I moved in when they were having a special and wasn't required to pay one.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:08 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Where do you live? In most states, your landlord is required to send you an itemized list of repairs within either 30 days or 45 days of the lease ending. Since they did not comply with the required time, even if their requests were legitmate (which they aren't), they missed the boat anyway.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:19 PM

The apartment was in Tennessee.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:46 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Where do you live? In most states, your landlord is required to send you an itemized list of repairs within either 30 days or 45 days of the lease ending. Since they did not comply with the required time, even if their requests were legitmate (which they aren't), they missed the boat anyway.
^^These deadlines apply when they are deducting from security deposit. OP didn't have a security deposit. Sounds like landlord is wanting OP to pay this amount.

If your lease expired then you don't owe 2 months rent. They will need to sue you in order to try to collect this 2 months rent. But they would most likely lose in court. Don't see how you would owe for 2 months rent until you broke the lease, which isn't the case here. If they file a lawsuit you will be notified. I don't see them filing a lawsuit until they are really ignorant about the laws. They cannot get a judgement against you for this unless it goes to court and you lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting