Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:11 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,623 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am new to the apartment world, and new to this "Pay online" business when it comes to apartments. I noticed my apartment complex uses the software program "Rent Payment" for online rental payment. I currently would like to pay my next next week (I am unable to wait until the 1st). I do have a Visa giftcard of $100, and would like to put the majority of the rent on one card and then the remaining balance on another. I currently work the same hours as the office's open hours (except on Saturday) and would like to simply pay my rent online. Right now I can log in and see a $0.00 balance. If I were to pay the amount, get a confirmation, will my balance show $- the amount I paid (eg credit) until the 1st and then the charge will offset it and return the balance to $0? I find it hard to believe that I need to wait until the 1st to pay all of this (and clearly, if I pay on the 2nd, I'll get a late fee). I just paid $1.00 to test the system and it does show "processing".

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 03:31 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
You could have called the office and asked or you can wait 24 hours until the processing is completed and see what happens. Either way, you won't be anywhere near the end of the month. Since you plan to put the money on a visa giftcard, there's really no reason you cannot wait until the 31st to pay your rent, IMO. Unless you're afraid you'll spend it or lose it.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:37 PM

No, I won't be putting all the rent on the giftcard. Like I said, I am only putting $100 of it on the card and the remainder will be through my bank. I called the office and they said I would need to go in to pay it, BUT they simply log in using the same software.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:18 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I would go ahead and pay it. Then print out the screen that shows your balance has a credit of one month's rent. Sounds like you got a not-too-bright-person on the phone.

No payment software is going to turn down your money, unless there's a problem with your bank account or card, etc. So the money sits there until they take it out on the first.

I'm moving to a new place in November, and I'm hoping they have the online feature. So handy, and no lost checks :-)

Old 10-21-2013, 04:44 PM

Thank you NoMoreSnowForMe! We keep running into eachother! Well, that not so bright person was the Property Manager! I emailed the software company (I work in software myself), and they verified that there is the ability to enter in a payment "whenever", but the property would have to process it on my account. Nothing is done automatically.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Thank you NoMoreSnowForMe! We keep running into eachother! Well, that not so bright person was the Property Manager! I emailed the software company (I work in software myself), and they verified that there is the ability to enter in a payment "whenever", but the property would have to process it on my account. Nothing is done automatically.
LOL! Well, the property manager doesn't understand the software, apparently. Perhaps he/she is brilliant in other ways... .

The beautiful thing about you paying it online and getting proof of payment, is that if they don't "process" things on time, that's on them, not you.

I'm betting the "processing" is that the manager has to manually enter the payments into each tenant's spreadsheet or whatever. They have to look into each account to see if it's been paid, etc. He/she is thinking that she can't do this "processing" until the first, and is confusing that with you having to pay it on the same day. Like I said, maybe he/she is brilliant in other ways.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:16 PM

241 posts, read 793,020 times
I know that at the last place I lived, I would pay a little early and until the first my tenant account would show the amount I had paid as a credit balance, then when they actually posted the amount due it just cleared back to showing "0 due at this time".

Never tried to pay a partial amount, but I suppose I could have. I do know that once the rental amount due had been posted by them, there was a statement that no partial payments could be made, so I guess I could not have used two different payment types if my rent amount was already posted.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:57 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Read the fine print...you might be paying a fee to pay your rent this way.

I can pay mine online as well using my debit card, but they charge $24.95 per transaction. Why should I pay $24.95 more just to pay it online when I can walk my butt up to the office and drop off a check? (personal, cashiers, or money order)

My rent is the only bill I pay by check, everything else is done online.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:24 AM

241 posts, read 793,020 times
That's a hefty fee, Kim. My place charged around that, too, but not if I did a bank account direct transfer, instead of doing it as a 'card'. It was only 1.95 for the direct transfer - same account, just different type of transfer. Always seemed outrageous to me for card fees, as I've dealt with processors of cards, and their fees are not nearly much as the rental companies charge the renter.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 AM

Whoa those fees are outrageous! Companies can be so dumb. They figure it's cheaper to pay labor & benefits to a worker to process all those checks and take them to the bank, yadda yadda, than eat the cost of the online payments.

And I bet that receptionist who drives the deposit to the bank every day the first part of every month makes a Starbucks stop on the way that she gets paid for, too :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting