Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,370 times

Advertisements

The landlord is selling and we are already bothered that pictures will be posted (and accessed by God knows who) of all our belongings... it is understood we must allow potential buyers to view the property with 24 hours notice, during business hours...UGH! But are we required to allow the landlord into our home to make unnecessary improvements?

Last edited by fedup_renters; 11-22-2013 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 03:04 PM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedup_renters View Post
But are we required to allow the landlord into our home to make unnecessary improvements?
He'll call them repairs and fall back on "reasonable notice during business hours etc"

Cutting to the chase... your LL is a jerk.
Of all the possible ways to go about this he has chosen poorly in everything.

If you can get out soon then do so.
If your lease is up anytime soon.. then plan your move now.
Good luck.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:57 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,840,356 times
It is not your home, it belongs to the landlord. As such, he is allowed, by law to make any improvements he wishes. As long as proper notice is give, your permission is not required.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:12 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedup_renters View Post
The landlord is selling and we are already bothered that pictures will be posted (and accessed by God knows who) of all our belongings... it is understood we must allow potential buyers to view the property with 24 hours notice, during business hours...UGH! But are we required to allow the landlord into our home to make unnecessary improvements?
What state is this? Each state has their own laws and regulations concerning tenant rights, landlord notices, improvements versus repairs, and excess infringement on quiet enjoyment. Without knowing what state you're located, all we can do is throw out generalities without any real basis for your situation.

Now, to get an understanding, exactly what improvements has the landlord requested entry to do, and what timeline did they give you for the work?

Old 11-23-2013, 08:33 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,763,189 times
Hey OP, I am in the same exact situation, minus the pictures, that is. My lease expires at the end of December this year. My LL asked us a few weeks ago if we were interested in moving out one month early as he has decided to sell the house and do some renovations and what not. We decided to take him up on his offer in exchange for us receiving our security deposit early. The only problem is, he decided to start a bit earlier than he had us thinking ( renovations). So, here we are, still with one week left until our move out date and the LL decided to tear up the backyard and front yard for "grading" purposes. I mean, what a hassle this has been for us! The people digging up the yard hit the main water line, causing water, by the hundreds of gallons, to gush out. So now we will be stuck with a very very large water bill. Yippy! Then the LL decided to stay conveniently out-of-state, so he couldn't draw up the amended move-out date, and now, he wont give us our security deposit until after we move out. I understand the need to hold onto the deposit until a thorough walk-through, but he agreed to those terms. We are helping HIM out by moving early, meanwhile, we have found we now have one month less to save and house search.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
So now we will be stuck with a very very large water bill.
Why on earth would you be? That's why contractors carry insurance ...

Old 11-23-2013, 08:42 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
It is not your home, it belongs to the landlord. As such, he is allowed, by law to make any improvements he wishes. As long as proper notice is give, your permission is not required.
I'm guessing that isn't actually true depending on what the renovations are. If they restrict the tenant in some way I'm sure it takes more than proper notice. For example, if the LL wants to repaint every room and that requires all of the furniture to be moved. Or if they want to redo the kitchen and that would make it inoperable for a period of time.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Why on earth would you be? That's why contractors carry insurance ...
My LL hires pretty shady individuals to do work around his house and needless to say, they are not licensed, bonded nor insured. We, as his tenants, get stuck with the consequences of his cheapness. This was another reason for us to move on and rent from someone else.

Last edited by jaredC; 11-23-2013 at 11:54 AM..

Old 11-23-2013, 12:35 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
My LL hires pretty shady individuals to do work around his house and needless to say, they are not licensed, bonded nor insured. We, as his tenants, get stuck with the consequences of his cheapness. This was another reason for us to move on and rent from someone else.
Makes no difference. It's still not your responsibility to pay for water lost because of a contractor's error. Simply average out your monthly water bills and, when the next one comes in high, the LL should pay you the difference. Presumably your landlord knows what happened - you immediately notified him, took pictures, etc.?

Old 11-23-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Makes no difference. It's still not your responsibility to pay for water lost because of a contractor's error. Simply average out your monthly water bills and, when the next one comes in high, the LL should pay you the difference. Presumably your landlord knows what happened - you immediately notified him, took pictures, etc.?
I was at work and my fiance was walking out the door to head to work when this happened, so no, she never got pictures unfortunately. But my LL does know it happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting