Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 06:32 AM

8 posts, read 17,328 times

Advertisements

I'm preparing to rent out my single family home. I have some high end appliances in it (Viking range, subzero fridge). I'm worried that a tenant may not care for these properly and then I'm out $15k in appliances. I'd consider moving them out and putting in some shiny but inexpensive new appliances, but I really don't want to incur the cost of storing the high end appliances. I don't want to sell them either, because I want to keep them in the house as a focal point of the kitchen when I am ready to sell again.

Can any other landlords tell me what I can expect from tenants in regards to high end appliances? Am I basically kissing the appliances goodbye by leaving them in a rental?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 07:43 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,904,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeLL View Post

Can any other landlords tell me what I can expect from tenants in regards to high end appliances? Am I basically kissing the appliances goodbye by leaving them in a rental?
You got it!
We were planning on replacing ours as I was wanting to put in a counter depth refrigerator to gain some space in our relatively small kitchen. Also last year a renter scrubbed the numbers off from around two of the knobs. Seeing as how that was two out of four, we decided to replace them all. We priced, found us a good deal, and just before we ordered them, someone put a big dent in the door of our refrig. The next week we visited Savannah and stayed at a vacation rental. Two of the shelves were broken and like ours, several dents were in the door.
So much for replacing appliances for renters!

Old 10-27-2013, 08:42 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeLL View Post
I'm preparing to rent out my single family home.
I have some high end appliances in it (Viking range, subzero fridge).
There are some markets where high end appliances are expected...
even to the degree that you can't find tenants without having them.
I doubt you're in one of them. Few people are.

Quote:
...what I can expect from tenants in regards to high end appliances?
Am I basically kissing the appliances goodbye by leaving them in a rental?
Pretty much.

But this just raises the larger question of whether you should rent out the house AT ALL.
If you're planning to sell later anyway (as you said)... do it now instead.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:55 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Sell the house or appliances now if you will bemoan the damage to those appliances or anticipate they may be abused. I have been a landlord for quite some time and have great tenants but somehow appliances are just not treated too well.

I have never had high end appliances like those you describe, however, in a rental. But, the house next door to my personal home has the second set tenants in it (going on year 4 for them) and that house has a subzero fridge and there haven't been any issues. (my former neighbor who is the LL keeps in touch with me).

Old 10-27-2013, 09:06 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
So you pretty much want everything. You don't want to sell them. You don't want to pay for storage. You don't want them damaged. Something has to give.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:25 AM

8 posts, read 17,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So you pretty much want everything. You don't want to sell them. You don't want to pay for storage. You don't want them damaged. Something has to give.
I will obviously have to settle for one of these things, which is why I asked a very basic question - what damage is normal to expect? I never said I want everything. However, I think it is completely fair and rational of me to seek advice on a forum of other landlords when I have no experience to get data to make a decision.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:48 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Well, the bottom line is that you don't know. It's a gamble.

Would your security deposit cover the damage? Probably not. If they're worth $15,000 and you happen to get a destructive tenant, you'll probably never recover the damages.

If you are depending on using them as a focal point when you sell, I think you should put them in storage and keep them nice and shiny until you need to put them back when it's time to sell.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:59 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
There are some markets where high end appliances are expected...
even to the degree that you can't find tenants without having them.
I doubt you're in one of them. Few people are.

Pretty much.

But this just raises the larger question of whether you should rent out the house AT ALL.
If you're planning to sell later anyway (as you said)... do it now instead.
Reread this post. Best advice in the thread.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Personally, I would not leave them. In fact, your house might be too nice to be a rental.

How do tenants treat appliances? 90% of them will never clean the inside of the refrigerator. It is very common for tenants to break the shelves in the door of the refrigerator, which happen to be expensive to replace.

I have never yet, not once, had a tenant who would vacuum the coils of a refrigerator.

Dents in doors are common. Scratches are common. I had one tenant break a huge hole into the liner of a fridge, so the insulation was exposed. Beyond me how they did that.

I've had several doors broken off of dishwashers. Always families with small children and I suspect that the kids are using the door as a step ladder to get up on the counters. Not that the tenants will admit that. According to the tenant, the doors always fall off without anyone touching them.

Ovens will be dirty, even if they are self-cleaning ovens. Burner pans will be so caked that they have to be thrown away. Occasionally stove knobs are lost. I've had glass tops broken.

Perhaps in an executive rental if you pick tenants who have been homeowners most of their lives, it might be OK. Maybe.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Once in a while you will find a renter who cares and takes care of the place. Its a crap shoot. Can the rent sustain the type of appliances you have? If its a high end rental then leave them. But truthfully how much were the units new, how old are they now and how long do you expect them to last. Also add in the cost, delivery and installation of the replacement units. Add in possible storage fees and you'll probably pay as much to keep them as you would if to just replaced them later. And you still have older units.
Here is the way I see a rental. Its a cash flow vehicle that is gonna require some money, work, repairs and time. With that invested I want a return. Whatever I put in the place its gonna be decent quality, and middle of the road. I'm not putting cheap crap but not going with top line either. My current house will become a rental in a few years. Whatever is in there will stay. You need to completely detach your emotional side of this is my house where I live to this is a rental that is gonna make me money.
If the units are older leave them. Just charge enough of a sec deposit to cover done damage if caused by tenants.
The only time high end appliances are expensive us purchase time. Used they aren't worth much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting