Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 01:30 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Was the no pets allowed policy written in Swahili? Or do you simply not understand what no pets means? I can't tell you how many renters try to convince me to let a cat in. I heard it all. My cat never sprays, scratches only pees and poops in her box. No thank you. My wife had two cats. I know exactly what cats do and cats are a absolute no. 10 years of dealing with cats got my wife and I in some heated discussions. I wanted to turn those cats into sausage. So no cats. As a potential tenant as soon as you bring up the possibility of a cat that immediately removes you from the list. Why? Because even if I say no verbally and in a lease you will do as you please and bring the cat in anyway because I'll never find out or once the cat is in what us he gonna do kick ups out? Were paying the rent. Yes well you're paying the rent anyway or you're out but I'm more worried about the house once you leave and your security won't cover the damage.
You want a cat? Then go rent from a place that allows cats don't expect people to bend the rules best cause you and your roommate and your cat are special.
Wtf???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Wtf???

Well not literally. Lol

Cats are destructive. They pee on things. My wife was always cleaning up after them. Boy and girl kitties. Pissing everywhere. F'ing hated every minute. Part of the reason we had to remodel was because of the cats. No cats ever again. Looking back my wife agrees to no cats. She rescued these two cats and she had a special attachment to them. I love my wife and I put up with it. Hated it but I did it. Once was enough.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:42 PM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
I very clearly advertise all my rentals as "NO SECTION 8".

But guess what.. I still get constant calls from morons asking me if I would take Section 8 renters.

What does that tell you? Not that I am calling you a moron, but its really hard to believe that people have such a hard time understanding what "No Section 8" or "No Pets" mean, yet they will still waste my time.

Bottom line.. it never hurts to ask. Just don't be too disappointed when the obvious happens. (The obvious being they tell you to get lost)

Old 10-28-2013, 01:46 PM

296 posts, read 1,250,511 times
Quote:
Thank you for making my point. I'm so glad you are respectful of other people's property and follow the lease terms you agreed to. Or is following rules ok as long as it doesn't inconvenience you? I'll tell you what. Go invest your money in a rental, have someone completely trash it with pets and then let me know how it feels to pull 5-7k or more out of your money to fix it so you can re rent it. And the tenant is not paying you back. Now come back and tell me how stupid the LL is.
That actually DID happen to me, hence why I mentioned having a UV kit from a past roommate experience! I had a condo and rented one of the rooms/bathroom, the girl swore the dog was trained, and I ended up paying a couple thousand dollars in carpet replacements. So yes actually, I completely understand it from both sides and have been the LL that got screwed. But on the other hand, some pets ARE extremely well trained and damage free, and some owners are extremely responsible. Quite frankly, between poor kitty going to a shelter, I will gladly keep her. Hidden kitty aside, I'm extremely responsible and since renting, they've actually remarked that the unit is in better shape since I moved in. If you're that kind of person, it can work out fine. If you're not, well you shouldn't have pets at all. Since we're talking no pets allowed, yes, it's not ideal. People do it every day though and the poster seems responsible and willing to cover for potential damages so I'm sure they're not planning on letting it trash the unit. But I'm betting there's other tenants with a pet in their unit, or at least destructive kids that cause three times the damage. It's unfortunate that morons and loser pet owners ruin it for everyone else.

Last edited by taraox; 10-28-2013 at 01:55 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 01:48 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Well not literally. Lol

Cats are destructive. They pee on things. My wife was always cleaning up after them. Boy and girl kitties. Pissing everywhere. F'ing hated every minute. Part of the reason we had to remodel was because of the cats. No cats ever again. Looking back my wife agrees to no cats. She rescued these two cats and she had a special attachment to them. I love my wife and I put up with it. Hated it but I did it. Once was enough.

I can't imagine that, wow. Some cats I guess can be that way. My cat is like a living stuffed animal, all he does is eat and sleep and when he poops or pisses, it's always in his liter box.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:15 PM

191 posts, read 698,184 times
People who think their pet is really 'well behaved' and that will convince a landlord to make an exception have no clue about all the reasons people choose to not allow pets in their properties. Aside from the obvious potential damage/odor issues, pets have fur and that fur gets all over the house (floors, stairs, entry ways, cabinets) and in the washers and dryers that other people will be sharing - clogs drains too. Some people have pet allergies and choose to live in a pet free building for a reason. I specify no pets in my postings and reiterate it in phone pre-screenings. If someone showed up to view one of my apartments with a pet thinking 'I love my always perfect pet therefore you will love it also' will get a door slammed in their face for wasting my time. Please be respectful of the landlord/property manager's time - if you think there might be a chance they will make an exception for your pet, ask on the phone before seeing the apartment and offer to bring the pet if they're willing to consider.

Good luck finding a place that works for you and your pet!

Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM

49 posts, read 234,858 times
Trust me, I understand that cats can be destructive. I lived with my brother when I first moved to the city, his cat was not well trained, and used my suitcase, which had all of my belongings I had on that side on the country, as a litter box. That said, I've lived with some great cats. The cat I had growing up was so well behaved, and such a good hunter, that my parents would actually loan our cat our a neighbors to hunt little critters. My college roommate fostered cats in our apartment, and believe it or not, all of them used their litter boxes and didn't damage anything. But the fear of one bad cat ruining your investments is huge.

We would not move in if the landlord did not allow cats. That simply isn't an option. However, we are hoping that since it is a neighborhood that is only JUST on the cusp of being gentrified, having the recommendation of a current tenant, making more than 6x the rent, and being extremely clean cut young professionals, MAYBE just MAYBE the landlord might make an exception. MY potential roommate is getting references from current and past landlords for the Kitty, so hopefully having the cat not ruin anyone other landlords investments will help convince the LL that the cat is ok.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I can't imagine that, wow. Some cats I guess can be that way. My cat is like a living stuffed animal, all he does is eat and sleep and when he poops or pisses, it's always in his liter box.

Not these two. Fr waking pissed in three spots all the time. When we remodeled I walked my wife through the damage and cost. But my wife just flat out refused to get rid of them. I did nothing to help her with the cats. She wanted them she took care of them. One cat pissed on my work boots. It dried. So I took the boots to work and within a hour of working hey what's that smell. You should of heard the string of cussing I would of made a loading dock worker blush. New pair of $200 work boots trashed.
I have always had dogs. I'm not against people owning pets. Just no cats in my rentals. Call it hypocritical, wrong whatever, the tenant is not the one who us gonna have to pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
That actually DID happen to me, hence why I mentioned having a UV kit from a past roommate experience! I had a condo and rented one of the rooms/bathroom, the girl swore the dog was trained, and I ended up paying a couple thousand dollars in carpet replacements. So yes actually, I completely understand it from both sides and have been the LL that got screwed. But on the other hand, some pets ARE extremely well trained and damage free, and some owners are extremely responsible. Quite frankly, between poor kitty going to a shelter, I will gladly keep her. Hidden kitty aside, I'm extremely responsible and since renting, they've actually remarked that the unit is in better shape since I moved in. If you're that kind of person, it can work out fine. If you're not, well you shouldn't have pets at all. Since we're talking no pets allowed, yes, it's not ideal. People do it every day though and the poster seems responsible and willing to cover for potential damages so I'm sure they're not planning on letting it trash the unit. But I'm betting there's other tenants with a pet in their unit, or at least destructive kids that cause three times the damage. It's unfortunate that morons and loser pet owners ruin it for everyone else.
So if you had what we are talking about done to you why are YOU doing it to someone sense. Your lease clearly states no pets correct? Yet you have a pet, refuse to pay the pet fee and obviously feel that you are somehow above the rules simply because its a rescue kitty and she is clean not destructive and quiet. If the place you are renting stated no pets why are you circumventing the rules they placed. Again you are making my point that renters once in will do as they please.

This is the reason why I am becoming more stringent by adopting higher security fees, check the property and only do month to month leasing. I am willing to guarantee no rent raise for 12 months but doing year long lease no more. You sign a agreement to follow specific rules. If you can't do that then don't rent.

I made one exception to my no pet rule in 20 years. It involved a 1k pet deposit, a letter stating any damage done by dog is the responsibility of the tenant. If the dig barks or annoys the other tenants or neighbors the dig goes. That was AFTER me soaking to the other tenants and making sure they were ok with a small dog on the premises. Also submit tall to a biannual check of premises. Its a old 5-6 pound dog. It's about the size of a ladies wallet. The tenant was absolutely fine with ALL my conditions. That was the one and only time I bent the rules. Not by my choosing but my wife and the tenant hit it off well and I was overruled

Old 10-28-2013, 02:26 PM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times
It doesn't hurt to ask, but I'd be prepared for the answer to be no.

Don't try to sneak in the cat, either -- I hated paying pet rent for my three animals as it was so pricey, but I did it, because I understood it wasn't my property and I didn't get to dictate the terms. A lot of people do sneak in animals and there's never an issue, but why take that chance? If you get discovered, you'll either have to rehome the cat or move, and I wouldn't count on a great landlord reference if you decide to move.

There are so many places that WILL allow a cat, I would keep on looking for those places.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rao4400 View Post
Trust me, I understand that cats can be destructive. I lived with my brother when I first moved to the city, his cat was not well trained, and used my suitcase, which had all of my belongings I had on that side on the country, as a litter box. That said, I've lived with some great cats. The cat I had growing up was so well behaved, and such a good hunter, that my parents would actually loan our cat our a neighbors to hunt little critters. My college roommate fostered cats in our apartment, and believe it or not, all of them used their litter boxes and didn't damage anything. But the fear of one bad cat ruining your investments is huge.

We would not move in if the landlord did not allow cats. That simply isn't an option. However, we are hoping that since it is a neighborhood that is only JUST on the cusp of being gentrified, having the recommendation of a current tenant, making more than 6x the rent, and being extremely clean cut young professionals, MAYBE just MAYBE the landlord might make an exception. MY potential roommate is getting references from current and past landlords for the Kitty, so hopefully having the cat not ruin anyone other landlords investments will help convince the LL that the cat is ok.

I hope it works out for you. If my wife was to meet you and the kitty she would help you move in. I can see it now she would start with come on its a cute kitty look how cute how can you say no just drive me batty with incessant kitty talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting