Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 01:32 PM

49 posts, read 232,816 times

Advertisements

So I found an gorgeous 2 bedroom in a centrally located apartment in the same building a a good friend of mine than is under my budget. The only problem is, is that my potential roommate has a cat, and there is a no pet policy. We have a showing coming up, and we where going to see if an exception could be made. My friend who lives there said he's seen a dog in the building before, but he is not sure if the god was there legally or not. Is there a good way to convince a landlord to accept a pet? All together, our gross income is more than 6x the rent, and I was thinking we could offer a nice pet deposit, as well as offer to pay slightly more rent for the unit. Are there any other strategies we could use to sweeten the deal? Maybe get pet reference letters from previous landlords?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 01:35 PM

701 posts, read 1,682,674 times
In my experience apartment complexes generally don't give on rules, and the other people in the complex may have specifically rented there because they didn't want to be around pets. Private landlords of duplexes, triplexes, SFHs, etc. are generally more willing to compromise on these types of rules. I wouldn't count on any success in negotiating in this case.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:39 PM

127 posts, read 268,275 times
Maybe bring the kitty to the showing? Show them how your rommie's cat is specials. Hopefully the shower isn't allergic, and hopefully they like cats!

Heh, I kid. Actually alot of no pet buildings allow a single cat, from what I see, except zero pet policy ones, which are adopted so tenants who see a cat in the window can't complain predujice against dogs vs cats.

I'd come with a money order ready for them pending approval. And untarnished credit. How can they refuse just over 1 kitty?

Good luck.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:08 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,858,805 times
How can they refuse? Let's see, by saying no. A no pet policy means just that...no pet. You'd have a better chance convincing a private landlord to take your cat than a large corporate complex.

Money talks, but sometimes it doesn't say a word and in cases of pets it can be mute.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:16 PM

49 posts, read 232,816 times
It is a private landlord who owns one big building. So hopefully my chances are better? I know it'sa long shot, but if we get it, it would be crazy ideal.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 PM

296 posts, read 1,241,585 times
I would try a large check for an additional deposit, and possibly references for kitty from past landlords. I know this isn't favorable, but could you have it there and just not tell them? If it's confined to the apt (and not sitting in the window all day long) they'll probably never know. That said, DO make sure the roommate sets aside money to pay for any potential damage so you don't get stuck with any unwanted damage bills.. Personally I ended up with a rescue kitty (I wasn't planning on getting a cat, it was kind of an emergency situation that turned into a pet) and I'm not paying an extra $50/month in 'pet rent' just for having her, so no one knows she's here. I drop her off at kitty daycare whenever they come to do inspections and no one's the wiser. That said though, she's exceptionally clean (I'm a clean fanatic, literally) and has never damaged a single thing (I also have a UV blacklight kit to keep an eye on the carpet after a bad experience with a previous roommates' untrained dog, and so far so good). Obviously though it's not ideal and if they're strictly no pets and they find out, you could be in trouble. Some places also require full carpet replacement after a tenant with pets even if there's no damage, just because of allergies/hygiene, so be prepared they might want you to pay for that, or that might be part of why they don't allow them. If it's wood floors, its less of an issue as far as keeping things clean. You also might want to make sure roomie's kitty is a good kitty and not a destructive terror. If keeping it there against the lease isn't something you're comfortable with and they won't bend the policy, you may just have to find a new potential roomie. I think you guys are being responsible about it though and it would be stupid for them to turn you down over a cat you're willing to pay for.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:18 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rao4400 View Post
The only problem is, is that my potential roommate has a cat, and there is a no pet policy.
Are there any other strategies we could use to sweeten the deal?
You're up against an existing pool of rent paying tenants
who would pay extra if need be to not have cats in the building.
I'd be among them.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
Was the no pets allowed policy written in Swahili? Or do you simply not understand what no pets means? I can't tell you how many renters try to convince me to let a cat in. I heard it all. My cat never sprays, scratches only pees and poops in her box. No thank you. My wife had two cats. I know exactly what cats do and cats are a absolute no. 10 years of dealing with cats got my wife and I in some heated discussions. I wanted to turn those cats into sausage. So no cats. As a potential tenant as soon as you bring up the possibility of a cat that immediately removes you from the list. Why? Because even if I say no verbally and in a lease you will do as you please and bring the cat in anyway because I'll never find out or once the cat is in what us he gonna do kick us out? Were paying the rent. Yes well you're paying the rent anyway or you're out but I'm more worried about the house once you leave and your security won't cover the damage.
You want a cat? Then go rent from a place that allows cats don't expect people to bend the rules because you and your roommate and your cat are special.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
I would try a large check for an additional deposit, and possibly references for kitty from past landlords. I know this isn't favorable, but could you have it there and just not tell them? If it's confined to the apt (and not sitting in the window all day long) they'll probably never know. That said, DO make sure the roommate sets aside money to pay for any potential damage so you don't get stuck with any unwanted damage bills.. Personally I ended up with a rescue kitty (I wasn't planning on getting a cat, it was kind of an emergency situation that turned into a pet) and I'm not paying an extra $50/month in 'pet rent' just for having her, so no one knows she's here. I drop her off at kitty daycare whenever they come to do inspections and no one's the wiser. That said though, she's exceptionally clean (I'm a clean fanatic, literally) and has never damaged a single thing (I also have a UV blacklight kit to keep an eye on the carpet after a bad experience with a previous roommates' untrained dog, and so far so good). Obviously though it's not ideal and if they're strictly no pets and they find out, you could be in trouble. Some places also require full carpet replacement after a tenant with pets even if there's no damage, just because of allergies/hygiene, so be prepared they might want you to pay for that, or that might be part of why they don't allow them. If it's wood floors, its less of an issue as far as keeping things clean. You also might want to make sure roomie's kitty is a good kitty and not a destructive terror. If keeping it there against the lease isn't something you're comfortable with and they won't bend the policy, you may just have to find a new potential roomie. I think you guys are being responsible about it though and it would be stupid for them to turn you down over a cat you're willing to pay for.
Thank you for making my point. I'm so glad you are respectful of other people's property and follow the lease terms you agreed to. Or is following rules ok as long as it doesn't inconvenience you? I'll tell you what. Go invest your money in a rental, have someone completely trash it with pets and then let me know how it feels to pull 5-7k or more out of your money to fix it so you can re rent it. And the tenant is not paying you back. Now come back and tell me how stupid the LL is.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,464,473 times
It's crazy how many apartments don't allow pets. I have one very good, well behaved kitty and had such a hard time. It's sad. I guess the bad pet owners ruin it for the rest of us.

I would just ask. My current landlord said "no pets" but I have one cat and she said fine. She has often remarked, since then, how clean and well maintained the apartment is and how good my cat is. Doesn't hurt that she is an animal lover too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting