Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been fined as a tenant? As a landlord do you use fines to enforce your leases? Anyone ever sued or been sued over fines? I've read conflicting info on if fines are legal. I'm curious about anybody's experiences/feedback. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 09:33 AM

912 posts, read 5,260,182 times
If I saw a lease and it was full of fines, I would walk away that instant.

I think the only fine that I would agree too is the late-fee on paying rent.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:06 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,054,579 times
If the fines are in the contract and they signed it then they'll have to pay. They will pay for each fine separately or have it taken out of their deposit at the end of the lease if that is legal with your location. So they will pay one way or the other.

But aside from that, I would never sign a lease that was riddled with fees. Find some other sucker.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:23 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
I do my best to never fine tenants. I hate fines and late fees as they promote bad will all around. However, if I am fined by the HOA in a community where I own a property and lease it out, that fee would be charged to the tenant. HOA's issue warnings before they fine owners so I pass on all warnings to my tenants and then verify the problem is corrected before it ever gets to the point of a fine.

My tenants don't know, until it happens, that I also waive late fees on first event of late rent payment. So, if there is a second time its really just too bad at that point.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 AM

396 posts, read 1,851,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm curious about anybody's experiences/feedback. Thanks.
Some people like rules (and fines to back them up) to protect their peaceful enjoyment of their rentals. Eventually the ones who get fined either leave or learn to comply with the rules.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
My tenants don't know, until it happens, that I also waive late fees on first event of late rent payment. So, if there is a second time its really just too bad at that point.
I do this too. I tell them they get one free pass, as long as it's only reasonably late. Sometimes students have financial aid issues, which I can remember from my school days, so as long as it's a rare occurrence, and they communicate with me, I'll let them slide -maybe once a year.

I didn't know HOA's fined owners. Mine never did when I had a condo - maybe that's why the place looked so bad lol! I'd pass that on, too.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
If you fine a tenant for every little infraction, do you also reward them for everything good they do? This just sound so much like kindergarten behavior.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:52 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
If you fine a tenant for every little infraction, do you also reward them for everything good they do? This just sound so much like kindergarten behavior.
Which is exactly why adults who sign a legal contract don't get "rewarded" for following the rules, they should know better by the time they can legally enter in to a contract on their own.

Some don't, so that is why they find themselves sitting on a pile of fines/fees.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
I fine tenants for late payment of rent. UNLESS they call me and let me know it's going to be a little late. Not only do I tell them this upfront, I make it very clear that as long as it's not habitual behavior, we're good.

I fine tenants when I get a citation in the mail and from the city b/c they have non-appropriate furniture on the porch (like a couch). Same for when they put garbage out on the curb on a non-garbage pick up day.

The fine is passed on to them and I add in $25, because my time is wasted having to pay the fine in person. Can't mail it in.

I fine tenants for leaving anything in the unit that I have to remove. Set fee of $250. I don't care what it is. You brought it, you take it, I make that crystal clear in the lease.

I fine tenants when my landscaper come to cut the lawn and has to clean up the mess they leave in the yard after a party and he calls me up all pee'd off. I pass that "fine" along to him.

If I see a basement, that they are NOT allowed to party in, full of beer bottles, a keg or two, liquor bottles lined up on my furnace and window ledges....they get fined. They are NOT allowed to use the basement for ANYTHING other than laundry.

That's pretty much it.

Last edited by Informed Info; 05-23-2013 at 10:25 PM..

Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I fine tenants for late payment of rent. UNLESS they call me and let me know it's going to be a little late. Not only do I tell them this upfront, I make it very clear that as long as it's not habitual behavior, we're good.

I fine tenants when I get a citation in the mail and from the city b/c they have non-appropriate furniture on the porch (like a couch). Same for when they put garbage out on the curb on a non-garbage pick up day.

The fine is passed on to them and I add in $25, because my time is wasted having to pay the fine in person. Can't mail it in.

I fine tenants for leaving anything in the unit that I have to remove. Set fee of $250. I don't care what it is. You brought it, you take it, I make that crystal clear in the lease.

I fine tenants when my landscaper come to cut the lawn and has to clean up the mess they leave in the yard after a party and he calls me up all pee'd off. I pass that "fine" along to him.

If I see a basement, that they are NOT allowed to party in, full of beer bottles, a keg or two, liquor bottles lined up on my furnace and window ledges....they get fined. They are NOT allowed to use the basement for ANYTHING other than laundry.

That's pretty much it.
Those aren't fines, those are expenses you are passing along. I consider a fine as something you collect in addition to the expense. When people pay a fine for speeding, it's not an expense, but a penalty for breaking the rules.

I'd be surprised if you could collect fines in some states, as most have fairly rigid landlord laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting