Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

Same one bedroom apartment has averaged over $200 a month as well as $40 a month... all depending on the tenant.

The one with the high bills walked around in shorts and opening the front door was like opening an oven door.

The tenant with the $40 a month was 72 years old and always dressed warmly in winter... her summer bills were around $25...

She skipped in the middle of the night after the utility cut off her service with over a $1,000 outstanding...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 04:57 PM

90 posts, read 213,228 times
I agree with katie45, who cares how cold or hot they keep their unit. It's their bill not yours? And if they do call and complain about the bill , I don't think they will. You all ready know what's going on. Tell them to lower their thermostat.

The only time I complain to a LL about a bill was when my toilet was running and he did not come out in a timly manner to fix it? He has a 'I will do All the work policy' and by day 6 he got an email stating he would be responsible for half my water bill if not fixed that day. Sure enought he came out and fixed it. Running toilets are no joke on your water bill.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsacg View Post
I agree with katie45, who cares how cold or hot they keep their unit. It's their bill not yours? And if they do call and complain about the bill , I don't think they will. You all ready know what's going on. Tell them to lower their thermostat.

The only time I complain to a LL about a bill was when my toilet was running and he did not come out in a timly manner to fix it? He has a 'I will do All the work policy' and by day 6 he got an email stating he would be responsible for half my water bill if not fixed that day. Sure enought he came out and fixed it. Running toilets are no joke on your water bill.
No reason for a running toilet...

As part of my move-in I show the new tenant where all the shut-offs are... water, gas and electric... also have them try the water supply valve under the toilet for practice... I only use quarter turn ball valves... very easy... my 6 year old niece and can do it.

Each unit has a one sheet of laminated instructions with what to do and phone numbers for the local utilities...

Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 PM

486 posts, read 832,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
No reason for a running toilet...

As part of my move-in I show the new tenant where all the shut-offs are... water, gas and electric... also have them try the water supply valve under the toilet for practice... I only use quarter turn ball valves... very easy... my 6 year old niece and can do it.

Each unit has a one sheet of laminated instructions with what to do and phone numbers for the local utilities...
I've rented apartments with tank-less toilets. No way to turn off the water without having a pipe wrench and knowing what you are doing.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,406 times
They had it at 85? Even in a t-shirt and gym shorts, I wouldn't be able to breathe. I rarely turn on the heat. I'd rather wear a swet shirt and sweat pants and have an old afghan to keep me warm if I need it.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
85!? We keep ours at ~68 in the winter and when we had air conditioning 75 in the summer! When we weren't home that number was 78 because we had pets.

I rented a room in this lady's house for a few years (college), and one winter her parents came to live with her because she had surgery (2 months). I paid 1/3 of utilities each month since it was a large 4 bedroom house and I only used one room. So it was usually $20 a month I paid.

When her parents came, they were elderly, and they CRANKED the heat up so much I had to close my room to the house and keep my window open. I was DYING from the heat but didn't say a word other than to say "wow the heat sure is turned up high" essentially.

That month the bill came for $400! She told me don't worry about paying it at all lol.

You can wear t-shirts at 68F too.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,639 times
land lord pays hear no control of it and my place is about 78-83 in the winter i do not complain for it is better than a ll that dont keep the place warm i am the first apt on the zone the stat is in the last on the run. and he has it locked so the tenant in that apartment can not change it. no one cries it is to warm. or opens their windows the radiators have control valves you can adjust. if you shut one off there is a by pass to the next. but he raise the rent if you leave a ac once the heat runs every day. he has had it on since the start of oct.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:58 AM

90 posts, read 213,228 times
Ultrarunner, my LL has a Very strict 'he does all the work policy' he even showed up the day we moved in to hook up our fridge and washer dryer with all new lines! I really like the guy but he built this house so he feels he is the only one who can do anything! He even asked if we where planning on hanging a TV on the wall b/c he would do it for us, I let him know we have a mounted stand so no need for wall hooks.

He's coming over in the next few weeks to baby proof the house and anchore my wine racks and book shelves, he knows I'm pregnant and want to make sure everything is done correctly. I did not ask him to do this he just sent me an email asking for a good time to come by.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Anything that is included in the rent will be wasted and thus will cause a high bill.

I often have potential applicants ask how much their electric bill will be in the house if they move there. I just tell them it is on a meter and they will pay for whatever they use.

Electric can be $40 a month with one tenant and $350 a month with a different tenant.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsacg View Post
Ultrarunner, my LL has a Very strict 'he does all the work policy' he even showed up the day we moved in to hook up our fridge and washer dryer with all new lines! I really like the guy but he built this house so he feels he is the only one who can do anything! He even asked if we where planning on hanging a TV on the wall b/c he would do it for us, I let him know we have a mounted stand so no need for wall hooks.

He's coming over in the next few weeks to baby proof the house and anchore my wine racks and book shelves, he knows I'm pregnant and want to make sure everything is done correctly. I did not ask him to do this he just sent me an email asking for a good time to come by.

I never realized how uncommon common sense is until I started to manage rentals...

Growing up, I thought everyone knew how to light a pilot, replace a fuse, reset a circuit breaker, turn off a water valve or use a plunger and change a light bulb!

My mom and grandmother sure did know how to do these things as well as keeping the inside and outside clean so as to not attract vermin... garbage in the can and not near the can.

It was eye opening to say the least when I met head of household adults, that did not have a clue as to the basics...

Turning off a hand valve because water is leaking is so basic...

As to appliances... I always have someone available to assist... even have bought new washer lines or dryer lint hose just to make sure it was done right...

One of the first buildings I took over had a tenant complaining of mold... walked in the place and it was hot and humid... not good.

Within a minute I found the dryer was being used with no vent... all the humidity for the laundry of a family of 5 was going into the house to "Save" on the heating bill... humidity just dripping from the walls and ceilings and lint everywhere...

Another older building with floor furnaces had a small fire... the teenager whose job is was to clean the hardwood swept all the dust into the floor furnace...

Another building the rent included hot water... the bill nearly trippled and I went to investigate thinking a leak... I found one of the tenants had taken an old car radiator and ran hot water through it with a fan to heat... so not only did the water tripple going down the drain... the gas bill doubled too.

I could go on...

Just about all my remaining residential rentals have separate utilities... I've passed on property that was mastered meter because it is the equivilent of a blank check...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting