Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 05:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times

Advertisements

If you refuse to sign that, don't complain when they inform you they are terminating your lease in 30 days, assuming you are now on month to month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 06:29 AM

241 posts, read 792,682 times
This reminds me of a new management rule at a complex I lived in. Didn't affect me, and I was already moving in couple of months when they took over, but I remember wondering about it. The rule was concerniing satellite dish set ups. They were still allowing them, but the new rule (for existing and new) was that the pole could no longer be on the grassy area, they must be cemented into a bucket, and placed on the "patio", which was a 3ft square of concrete at the back door. I wondered if the dish companies would even allow this, and how they could expect existing tenants to go buy a bucket & cement and dig up their pole to reset it. Just curious, does anyone know if this would actually be held up if someone fought it? Those poles are not the tenants property, and I can't imagine the satellite company saying, sure, we'll supply buckets & cement for you.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
If you are on a month to month they can implement new rules with a 30 day notice. If you re on a lease agreement they can do it when a lease is renewed.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
This reminds me of a new management rule at a complex I lived in. Didn't affect me, and I was already moving in couple of months when they took over, but I remember wondering about it. The rule was concerniing satellite dish set ups. They were still allowing them, but the new rule (for existing and new) was that the pole could no longer be on the grassy area, they must be cemented into a bucket, and placed on the "patio", which was a 3ft square of concrete at the back door. I wondered if the dish companies would even allow this, and how they could expect existing tenants to go buy a bucket & cement and dig up their pole to reset it. Just curious, does anyone know if this would actually be held up if someone fought it? Those poles are not the tenants property, and I can't imagine the satellite company saying, sure, we'll supply buckets & cement for you.

its very common here to mount the dishes in a bucket - many dish installers here have either buckets like that or weighted "sleds" on the truck & available for those situations.. as for digging up the existing pole, that would be different..

Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
My dishwasher caught on fire while I was home (well, a whole lot of smoke before I turned it off); I never leave any appliance running if I am not there (well, only the fridge is running).

AC, heat, and hot water heater are generally not considered appliances.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:39 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Honestly, they are covering their butts as pointed out. This way, if you leave your door unlocked and someone breaks in, you can't go back to them and say they should have provided better security.

Same with the appliances. If something does happen, its on you, because you were told to turn them off.

For the other post about Sat Dishes, that is a completely legitimate demand. By law, you are only allowed to place a dish in an area, like a balcony, that is your exclusive use, unless they give permission. It sounds like the previous owner/manager let people install dishes off their rented premises and now there is a dish farm the group want to get rid of. Most of the time, while the receivers are rented, the dish and pole are your property. Some installers will go ahead and do the bucket mount for free and some make you pay. There are also other ways to mount a dish non-permanently.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:33 PM

241 posts, read 792,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post

For the other post about Sat Dishes, that is a completely legitimate demand. By law, you are only allowed to place a dish in an area, like a balcony, that is your exclusive use, unless they give permission. It sounds like the previous owner/manager let people install dishes off their rented premises and now there is a dish farm the group want to get rid of. Most of the time, while the receivers are rented, the dish and pole are your property. Some installers will go ahead and do the bucket mount for free and some make you pay. There are also other ways to mount a dish non-permanently.
I was not aware that this kind of installation was common in some areas. Just for clarity, there was no "dish farm". Anyone who used satellite had the pole in the grass near their back entrance. I figured they did it mostly for ease of keeping up the grounds, not having to trim grass around them. I found it amusing that the 3ft square of walkway from the back doors was now designated as the "patio". Not like there was room to do much but walk on it, lol. However, they did specify that they were to be put into a bucket with cement, not allowing for any other type of non-permanent set up. Never had satellite myself, so not familiar with the rules or laws. Learn something new every day

Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Dishwashers & Clother washer LOL CAN Flood Dryers are Fire hazzardes & Leving door unlocked Invites Stealling In Short YOU Dont Comply the LL Will Not be responsible to fix damages! & Will Evict You! BUT Why would you leave things running or your door unlocked when your not home?
Tell them to mitigate the risk of water damage, you leave your door unlocked so someone can turn off the appliance. Seriously my friend's house caught fire inside the walls due to the dryer or electrical. If you are not around to smell the small, the next indicator is flames which is too late. I know of another dishwasher also going up in smoke, not just leaking. Just due to smoke damage and soot a lot needed to be repainted and replaced , this stuff is no joke and in an apartment especially a taller one, you put a lot of people at risk.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:40 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
I was not aware that this kind of installation was common in some areas. Just for clarity, there was no "dish farm". Anyone who used satellite had the pole in the grass near their back entrance. I figured they did it mostly for ease of keeping up the grounds, not having to trim grass around them. I found it amusing that the 3ft square of walkway from the back doors was now designated as the "patio". Not like there was room to do much but walk on it, lol. However, they did specify that they were to be put into a bucket with cement, not allowing for any other type of non-permanent set up. Never had satellite myself, so not familiar with the rules or laws. Learn something new every day

That doesn't sound too bad. This is what I was talking about that happens sometimes.
Attached Thumbnails
Is it legal for a new apartment management company to do this?-dishcapture.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting