Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,851 times

Advertisements

We are renting a house, we're the only ones on the property and just moved in a few weeks ago. At the time there was no sign there, which is weird that they wouldn't put it up when they were actually looking for tenants. Now, he has put up one of those realtor style signs (out on the front lawn area) listing his info and the no vacancy sign. Is he allowed to do this? It's not some apartment building where people may be interested and need to know its not vacant. It's a house and our lease literally just started. It's such an eye sore! We are in Los Angeles, CA by the way. Can he do this??? Can I just take it down? There is nothing in our lease about this stupid sign. So annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 09:18 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Did you ask your LL about it? Explain it bothers you and see if he is willing to take it down.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Just tell him that you are confused about the sign. Maybe the property got broken into when it was vacant. He may be putting this up temporary but in any case. Always communicate with landlord of any issues. Communication is important between landlord and tenant.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,851 times
i would, but he already became upset w/ me when I requested repairs at move in (hot water was out, electrical outlets not working, fridge not working, no vent for dryer, heater not working, there was no mail box for over a week...and i receive my checks from clients in the mail so this was a major one for me). this house has been completely redone and they clearly got some pretty shoddy work done since nothing has worked right, so he became sick of hearing from me and got a bit rude. I'm really not looking to actually discuss this with him and get a civil response. while the condition of the house is his fault, my hunch is that he's doing this to spite me. The place has been under renovations for nearly a year and had been "finished" for about a month and then there was another month after we signed a lease but weren't able to move and this sign was never posted. it just showed up today. i just wonder what he can really do if i just take the sign down. i wouldn't be surprised if he does drive bys to make sure it's there. I'm not sure why, but it's not just the sign looking ugly that bugs me, there's something that makes me uncomfortable about it being advertised that we're renting in a neighborhood full of buyers. i dont really know what the risk is, but it just feels off.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
I could be mistaken but it sounds from your post that you've been dealing with the LL face to face where these maintenance issues are concerned. If so, and particularly given his attitude, you should start immediately putting everything in writing to him. Emails are fine these days but if the going gets rough then you segue to return receipt certified mail. Remain polite and business-like at all times.

Where the sign is concerned (it's ridiculous, in my opinion) remove it. Write and advise that you were very surprised to see a "no vacancy" sign posted on the lawn, have no idea where it came from and for what reason it was there but that you have removed it. Sincerely yours" and that's it.

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:24 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Are you expecting to renew your lease in the future, would you rather leave now? It sounds like you have clients that send checks, you might want to move that to a PO Bo for a planned future move since I doubt your LL would want to renew in the future.

Without knowing the details of your contract, you may have exclusive possession of the single family residence. If it so, you probably have rights. I agree with sending things registered. 1) Do you want to permit the sign if he pays you? 2) Do you want to break a lease if you have one?

You are in LA, what zipcode?

Old 11-07-2013, 05:34 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Possibly he had it advertised in a few places(various web sites, newspaper classifieds) and he is getting calls from people that are driving by based on having the address from the old ad.

Some lookers might walk around the front, back and side yards and peek into the windows, thinking it's a vacant rental. He figures the No Vacancy will let them know it's been rerented. The sign might help you too...as maybe you won't get a potential renter peeking into your window thinking this might be their next rental home.

I bet he removes the sign in a few weeks.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:41 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Possibly he had it advertised in a few places(various web sites, newspaper classifieds) and he is getting calls from people that are driving by based on having the address from the old ad.

Some lookers might walk around the front, back and side yards and peek into the windows, thinking it's a vacant rental. He figures the No Vacancy will let them know it's been rerented. The sign might help you too...as maybe you won't get a potential renter peeking into your window thinking this might be their next rental home.

I bet he removes the sign in a few weeks.
That ^

If the LL doesn't remove the sign in a couple of weeks, it will probably be gone because it was stolen.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:18 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
If the sign bothers you and you are in an HOA, maybe check to see if they have rules regarding signs. Typically for rent signs are allowed, but a big No Vacancy sign looking like it is a hotel is not something you see every day.,

Old 11-08-2013, 01:02 PM

442 posts, read 588,423 times
I'd take it down if I had a party or company. If I thought it looked bad... but we're pretty easy going.

Our Landlord puts up signs for his Pumpkin Patch and Xmas Tree farm on our fence.

No biggie. I've let his customers park on our property too. We have wonderful landlords

If it's ugly to you... and it embarrasses you..then remove the sign.

But... keep the sign since it doesn't belong to you.

Maybe there can be a compromise, a better location for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting