Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:31 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,143 times

Advertisements

Do I need to tell them why??

Can I just tell them, thanks, but you were not approved. Or do I have to tell a reason. Do I need to give the rejection to the applicant themselves, or can I just tell the realtor?

I did not run credit, so don't fall under those legal requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 01:44 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post

Can I just tell them, thanks, but you were not approved. Or do I have to tell a reason. Do I need to give the rejection to the applicant themselves, or can I just tell the realtor?

If the prospective tenants have a RE agent, then you don't have to tell them directly--talk to the agent.

Please note: Be careful that your reason does not violate any Fair Housing Laws (State or Federal)!!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
If the prospective tenants have a RE agent, then you don't have to tell them directly--talk to the agent.

Please note: Be careful that your reason does not violate any Fair Housing Laws (State or Federal)!!
ummm, I'm pretty sure its not ME violating any laws. Convicted felon, did not disclose, arrested for obtaining property under false pretense.

The reason should be obvious enough to them..... if I'm asked, I don't really know what to say. I didn't even run a background check. Just googled and checked county arrest records.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:19 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Why are you trying to rent out this property?
Cut your losses and sell now.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:29 PM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
Quote:
"Dear Applicant,

Based on information gathered from "X" and "Y", your background results did not meet our criteria for rental of our property. Thank you for considering us."

You DO have a criteria, right?

Old 11-20-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why are you trying to rent out this property?
Cut your losses and sell now.
yeah.... that is what I'm thinking now. Trying to rent because wanted the option to return, and we have a great interest rate that we will never see again in this lifetime, so it made sense. At this point, after having allowed convicted felons to walk through my kids rooms, I think I might have sufficiently detached from the property.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
"Dear Applicant,

Based on information gathered from "X" and "Y", your background results did not meet our criteria for rental of our property. Thank you for considering us."

You DO have a criteria, right?
is no violent drug dealing money launderers that like to obtain property under false pretense a "criteria"? Then, yes, I do.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:52 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Where are you getting your legal advice from??????

How did you find out about the person's background?

Old 11-20-2013, 03:08 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Fair Housing laws don't incl. every person, so the OP might be right but the licensed agent will be handling under Fair Housing law.

Lying is not violating Fair Housing laws if you deny someone for that reason!

Just be aware there are some peopl out there just trying to make easy money by starring at the internet and trying to catch a Fair Housing issue and trying to benefit from it!

If it is a real violation than it should be reported but there are people who try to see if they can catch someone just for an easy pay check.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Where are you getting your legal advice from??????

How did you find out about the person's background?
Its the law that if you deny a person based on credit, you need to let that person know the reasons and where the credit was run, and offer them a free report.

I didn't run credit, I am not denying them on that reason, so I don't need to follow those guidelines. Why would I need legal advice for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Fair Housing laws don't incl. every person, so the OP might be right but the licensed agent will be handling under Fair Housing law.

Lying is not violating Fair Housing laws if you deny someone for that reason!

Just be aware there are some peopl out there just trying to make easy money by starring at the internet and trying to catch a Fair Housing issue and trying to benefit from it!

If it is a real violation than it should be reported but there are people who try to see if they can catch someone just for an easy pay check.
They are definitely covered under the Fair Housing laws. The Fair Housing laws, nor no other law in this world requires me to rent my private home to someone with a very extensive criminal record.

Checking "no" on a "have you been convicted for a crime" question when you have served time in federal prison is a pretty clear denial, as is having MULTIPLE arrests on acquiring property under false pretense.....I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting