Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Does your original lease allow you to have a dog? Not just the dog you had when you moved in, but any dog.

Your original lease carries over after you go month to month.
And the LL can just give notice they aren't renewing the lease. And then the OP is stuck trying to find a place with 3 cats and a dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Does your original lease allow you to have a dog? Not just the dog you had when you moved in, but any dog.

Your original lease carries over after you go month to month.

Ok here is your 30 day notice. Have a nice day.

I specify the dog I am allowing on the lease agreement. Name and breed and approximate physical attributes.
This way you're not saying a dog and show me a chihuahua and all of the sudden you have a 120 pound mastiff that chews through walls take its place. For the most part I don't do pets. I allowed this one because she was willing to put a fairly absurd pet deposit and it was a tiny dog. Anything bigger I would of said no. This dog is about the size of a squirrel

Old 11-26-2013, 04:00 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,662,529 times
Thank you for all your thoughts. A few thingsā€¦ I had a chihuahua who was about 10 years old when I moved in. When I asked them, I specifically said I would look for an older chihuahua. I do have a small apartment and I am partial to them. Yes, my original lease says I can have dogs. The thing is, my apartment is a "mother'-in-law apartment. So my apartment and their house are separated by one door. I am essentially in their house even though I have my own entrance. I could have just brought another dog in, but I just did not feel comfortable and wanted to let them know. If they had a problem, or if the dog was barking, I would be in a very difficult situation. I used to volunteer at a shelter and we hated when people returned dogs. I agree--I do not want to "**** off" a landlord. Again, if I know this is commonly done by landlords, it would make me less upset. BTW, they too have 3 cats and 1 dog. I am going to start looking--life is too short to be without a dog.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:34 AM

I guess this could be a warning to tenants who move in with dogs: if you want to "replace" your dog (I know each dog cannot be "replaced"), or adopt another after your dog passes I should say, get that in writing in your original lease agreement. I know this is the landlord's house, but I think it's a very mean spirited thing to do. The only thing I can think of is that my former chihuahua was not nice to "intruders", meaning he didn't like most people entering the apartment. If they had to sell or get in there for an emergency, it could be difficult, in their little minds.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,069 times
First, I am so sorry about the loss of your dog. They really do become our family.

However, I would say that the LL is within his rights to refuse a new dog. New dogs, even older ones, are an unknown -- and often go through some adjustments in their new home, depending on their history. It could also be that they didn't like your dog, due to the "not nice" issue and maybe others? Also, I'm amazed that they let you rent with four animals -- we have three, two cats + 1 dog, and I was stunned we found anyone willing to rent to us (we had to move after a corporate relo, so were faced with an unexpected rental situation).

It doesn't matter the number of pets they have -- they own their space and are entitled to as many pets as they can safely care for. That's one of the clear advantages in owning property rather than renting it.

If you're otherwise happy in the place, pick your battles carefully. Trust me, not a lot of decent places will rent to you with four (or three) animals. Also, on a practical note -- how would your three cats adapt to a new dog? How did they like the other dog? My two cats tolerate the dog, but just barely, and it's been nearly six years now. If I got another dog whenever my dog passes, I'm almost positive they'd stage some sort of feline mutiny.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:36 AM

Thatswanlady--thank you. My little 8 pound chihuahua whom I adopted at age 8 was really the love of my life. He only lived another 4 years--way too short. Yes, he didn't like the male landlord. Who knows what happened to my little dog before I got him. I know he was abandoned in NYC. I have never had a problem renting with animals and always seem to find animal lovers. This particular landlord really liked my dog and NEVER said anything about not wanting a tenant with a dog. However, as we have said, it is their house. True, my cats were not crazy about my former chihuahua or the one before that. They can be possessive and a little nasty, but due to their size, cannot hurt a cat. My personal experience has just been warnings, little growls and nothing beyond that. My big mistake was going to a shelter and actually meeting one I wanted. Knowing this, I now have to not look, and try hard to move. Thank you.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
I guess this could be a warning to tenants who move in with dogs: if you want to "replace" your dog (I know each dog cannot be "replaced"), or adopt another after your dog passes I should say, get that in writing in your original lease agreement. I know this is the landlord's house, but I think it's a very mean spirited thing to do. The only thing I can think of is that my former chihuahua was not nice to "intruders", meaning he didn't like most people entering the apartment. If they had to sell or get in there for an emergency, it could be difficult, in their little minds.
There is nothing mean about it. I agreed to lease with specific set parameters that were agreed upon by both tenant and LL at the beginning of the lease agreement.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:57 AM

Matter of opinion, IMO.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Matter of opinion, IMO.
That's why I cover my bases with written leases. You're just unhappy because the LL won't let you do as you please and get another dog. And I have always had dogs. My current one is a pound rescue. But as much as I love dogs if I was renting and the LL said no I would respect that. I agree to live under their rules.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:04 AM

Of course I am respecting that and won't get another dog while I am there. But I don't have to like it or think it's not mean spirited. And every animal I have ever had is a stray or shelter rescue. I will have to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting