Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times

Advertisements

I would just paint it myself and call it a day.
it is paint people, not something that lasts for all eternity!

if you are renting the space and living there, then paint it.
I would.
oh wait , I have done that already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 01:10 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
You saw it and you took it. What you see is what you get. The landlord has no obligation to redecorate for you.

I will not permit my tenants to paint. They think they can paint, and they can't. So, I suggest that you do not do the painting yourself, unless you have lots of painting experience, know how to mask and prep properly, or else pay for a professional to do it.

Do not do anything to the paint without the landlord's written permission and be prepared to pay to correct any damage you do, and maybe to repaint back to a neutral color.

If you meant that you will be there for only2 months, it is absurd to think that the landlord will do a $2,000 paint job for a tenant who is there for only two months.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:15 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Home Depot and Lowe's has regular paint for regular people to use, I can't see why a LL would object.

and as far as colors, everyone says neutral, I get that, but even black can be repainted over.

again, paint is not something that lasts an eternity.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:26 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
OP, I think you're stuck. There's no legal recourse in most states for a rental property to be unpainted, and no requirement for the LL to paint. However, that is going to bite this LL in the hindquarters at some point, because soon no one that she'd like as a tenant will want to rent her apparently rundown property. What a crappy way to run a business.

Years and years ago, I did live someplace (New Jersey, maybe?? I dunno.) where we were told that they were required to paint between tenants. And I've never lived in a place that the paint appeared old or that hadn't been relatively recently painted.

If I were you, I'd make darned sure to have a complete photographic record of the condition of the whole place, including all the walls, so that you cannot be blamed for the condition on move-out.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Home Depot and Lowe's has regular paint for regular people to use, I can't see why a LL would object.

and as far as colors, everyone says neutral, I get that, but even black can be repainted over.

Landlords object because most tenants know very little about painting and will just buy a bucket of el-cheapo paint and slop it on the wall. They won't do the prep work, won't buy the better paint, won't buy the better brushes, won't bother to tape or lay plastic. It's these tenants that get pissed because the landlord keeps their deposit to fix the mess they made with the paint.

There are those tenants who are former homeowners that do pay attention to detail..that do take the time and spend the extra money to get the better quality paint and brushes..those are the ones landlords love. Sadly, they are far and few between.

You should always, always, always get your landlord's permission to paint (in writing) if not, it could come back as a damage charge when you move.

the op needs to clean the walls first and then really decide if they 'need' new paint. If they think they will die without new paint, they need to offer to pay a professional painter, that the landlord chooses, with the paint the landlord chooses and make sure they get it in writing.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:07 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
I would just paint it myself and call it a day.
it is paint people, not something that lasts for all eternity!

if you are renting the space and living there, then paint it.
I would.
oh wait , I have done that already.

Quote:

No ody said paint lasts a eternity. I would have no problem with repainting a house at move in time but I'm not required to. You painting the place leaves me in a bind because you may be clueless how to paint correctly. Most people slather on paint. Also some paints require. Prep work before a new coat can be put on. Try painting over gloss paint with no prep. When it starts peeling I have to pay someone more to fix it correctly. I just paid $3500 to have a rental I am remodeling completely painted. Doors. Casings baseboard walls ceilings. Everything. Do you really think I want just anyone repainting? You must be joking

Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
^^^ When somebody advises, "if you are renting the space and living there, then paint it " and adds, "but even black can be repainted over" one can only shake one's head in disbelief, understand that they've never been a landlord, hope that they'll never be one and experience that reality check - and feel the deepest sorrow for future landlords from whom that person might rent, trusting that they'll collect a sufficiently large deposit to take care of the work involved returning the place to its original condition.

nightcrawler, your comments are simply mind boggling!

Old 12-03-2013, 10:19 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yulissa View Post
I just moved to palatine IL and we are renting a town home in which we love but the owners didn't paint the home before we moved in. The town home was painted about 9 to 10 years ago when they purchased it. We paid a deposit of 1350 which is the same amount that we pay for rent every month. The owner is saying that it's not her responsibility to paint the home. Now, just an inside! the walls were damaged, you can see the plaster over it. we haven't painted nor hung anything on the walls just because I thought she was going to paint. now I am in a bond because I am NOT going to paint the entire 2 bedroom, 1/2 bathroom, with a basement and a garage home, when we're just renting. I don't believe that is our responsibility and according to a according to a realtor friends with the owner, advised that she does not need to paint our home because that's our responsibility. we only have two months living here, what should I do! It's my responsibility to paint or the owner of the town home?
In Florida a LL is obligated to paint the interior in between tenants BUT the laws doesn't describe how much paint is needed so a touch up could even do.

But why do you rent a place if you don' like it or don't ask to get it in writing.

If an owner doesn't paint the interior than you don't have to worry about it when you move out. With some of the owners we represent and the homes looks nice and not in real need to be completely painted we only have certain rooms painted that are in need of paint and sometimes the entire house will be painted.

Often we get questions about colors and/or painting and many time owners have paid for paint and tenants conducted the labor. We always have to approve the colors and put it in writing so tenants are not liable to paint it back in a neutral color.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:40 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
That sucks. I had my home painted before I rented it out; it was expensive. I would not feel comfortable with having a tenant paint my place. What does your lease say?

Old 12-03-2013, 12:11 PM

936 posts, read 2,202,475 times
The majority of landlords with larger properties also use the same paint for all of their units. They can buy it in bulk, and touchups work out better that way. All of that planning goes out the window when a tenant decides to change the colors in their unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting