U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,932 times

Advertisements

I just moved to palatine IL and we are renting a town home in which we love but the owners didn't paint the home before we moved in. The town home was painted about 9 to 10 years ago when they purchased it. We paid a deposit of 1350 which is the same amount that we pay for rent every month. The owner is saying that it's not her responsibility to paint the home. Now, just an inside! the walls were damaged, you can see the plaster over it. we haven't painted nor hung anything on the walls just because I thought she was going to paint. now I am in a bond because I am NOT going to paint the entire 2 bedroom, 1/2 bathroom, with a basement and a garage home, when we're just renting. I don't believe that is our responsibility and according to a according to a realtor friends with the owner, advised that she does not need to paint our home because that's our responsibility. we only have two months living here, what should I do! It's my responsibility to paint or the owner of the town home?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 03:39 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,460,598 times
Unless it specifies in the lease that the owner will paint it, sounds like if you want it done, you'll need to do it yourself.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:56 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,787,825 times
It's nobody's "responsibility." Quality land lords will do a repaint between leases, if needed, to ensure they attract a higher rent and/or higher quality tenant. Poor landlords will refuse to paint a unit that hasn't been redone in ten years and wonder why they have high turnover and can't get top dollar for the lease.

Unfortunately for you, "nice paint" is neither a legal obligation of the landlord nor a fundamental right of the tenant. If you didn't negotiate fresh paint in the lease agreement and you're landlord doesn't want to do it you have two choices:
  1. Live with it the way it is
  2. Paint it yourself at your own expense

You say "we only have two months living here." Do you mean you've only been there two months or are you in a short-term lease and will be gone in two months?

Old 11-26-2013, 11:35 PM

11,543 posts, read 28,002,928 times
All the landlord has to do is say you ruined X,Y and Z when you painted without her approval.. You will lose in court and be responsible for the entire _______. I would not touch it or hang a picture without her written approval.

You might be better served to schmooze a little with the landlord. If you select some nice neutral colors, and paint not too expensive (I've had exceptionally good luck with Walmart interior paint), she might buy the paint in exchange for your labor. It cost me $1800 for four rooms, hall and entry, plus $350 for paint on sale. You would be happy and she would have the interior painted.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:01 AM

936 posts, read 2,034,788 times
See what your lease says. If it doesn't address the issue then you are stuck. The thought is that your lease is probably for a year, and the landlord can decide on a yearly basis whether or not they need to paint. You too can negotiate when you lease is up for renewal. You shouldn't have rented the place in such a bad condition if you couldn't live with it like that. Unfortunately, the cost of painting has gone up substantially over the years.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:30 AM

24,671 posts, read 64,712,943 times
You rented the unit "as is" and the LL is under no obligation to paint it. Further, you cannot paint it without the express written permission of the LL. At the end of your lease you're legally required to return the unit to the LL in the same condition in which you received it, less normal wear and tear. If you paint it without permission the LL is legally allowed to charge you for the alteration. As linicx said, your best course of action is to come to a mutually acceptable deal with your LL to repaint but, failing that, you're stuck with it. Caveat emptor!

Old 12-02-2013, 04:39 AM

13,273 posts, read 35,641,149 times
TAKE PICTURES Before you do anything! I not really talking about painting cause I dont know BUT to Cover your But in case she wants to blame you when you move.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:20 AM

17,579 posts, read 43,114,892 times
You should have requested this before you moved in as a condition of moving in. Now you live with it. If it bothers you that much move when your lease is over.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 AM

701 posts, read 1,537,076 times
Hopefully you meant that your lease was only two months, in which case I'd live with it and document the condition for move-out. Oh, and as Katie said, document the condition with dated photos anyway. If the landlord is such a lowlife that he hasn't painted for nine or ten years, he's probably going to try to ********* on the deposit when you leave.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:49 AM

31,810 posts, read 72,845,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yulissa View Post
I just moved to palatine IL and we are renting a town home in which we love
but the owners didn't paint the home before we moved in.
You seem to imply that the house NEEDED fresh paint? Is that the case?
And if so, why didn't you say something when it was empty? Before moving in?

Quote:
It's my responsibility to paint or the owner of the town home?
At this stage of things... yeah, it's pretty much all on you.

You can ask for permission to paint their property, ask their approval on the colors, buy the paint,
and (if approved) take full responsibility for any damages during the course of the work.

Quote:
The town home (is alleged to have been) painted about 9 to 10 years ago....
The owner is saying that it's not her responsibility to paint the home.
we only have two months living here, what should I do!
Decide how long you want to remain there... and how important some paint is to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting