U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,542 times

Advertisements

I have a question about how to proceed with a security deposit dispute. Let me start off by saying that I realize there is not enough money at stake to sue the landlord. I just wanted to see if I am even justified in pursuing this matter.

On the day that I moved out of the apartment at the end of July 2013, there was a walk-through inspection. The woman who conducted the walk-through informed me that I could either replace the burner pans myself or face a fine. She said they were brand-new when I moved into that apartment early March 2012. The burner pans had been cleaned before the inspection. I questioned that the pans had been new, but the woman insisted that they were. I asked if that was what the inspection report I filled out in March 2012 said, and she said that they were new. My carbon copy of the inspection report had already been packed away, but when I found it later, it clearly showed “wear and tear” next to burner pans. I then called the rental agency, and they could not find my inspection report for that apartment. They only had the inspection report for the apartment I lived in from August 2011-March 2012 (also with the same rental agency) where the burner pans had been new. I sent them photographs of the carbon copy of the inspection report of the apartment in question that showed “wear and tear” burner pans. I received this response the next day:

“We looked at your move in check list after we got off the phone and discussed this situation at length. My boss has determined that based on the fact that Stephanie gave you the opportunity to replace them yourselves, and you chose not to, that no further refund will be offered.”

I am confused. If the burner pans were not new, as Stephanie said during the walk-through inspection, why should I have to pay to replace them? I feel like the rental agency did not keep or misplaced my inspection report and that when presented with hard evidence that the pans were not new then it should have been a simple refund. What else can I do? Thank you for any and all comments.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 04:48 PM

13,519 posts, read 36,575,807 times
They are ALLOWED to DEDUCT the cost of the pans from your Deposit BUT they Have to refund the balance to you! I would take them to small claims court. Tack that cost back on to them!

Old 11-26-2013, 04:59 PM

6,147 posts, read 7,211,373 times
A set of burner pans can be bought for less than $20. How much of your deposit did they keep?

I know its the principal of the matter but I would have ordered a set of pans from Amazon and just replaced the darn things.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:43 PM

The burner pans' replacement cost was $25. The walk-through was done the day I left, or I would have tried to get a set of pans from Amazon or another retailer. I checked the local Lowe's, Walmart, and Target, and 4 burner pans would have cost me $20 or so. The woman who did the walk-through said the replacement fee would be about $15. I honestly did not think they would really charge me for the pans. Even if they had been brand-new like they claimed, I lived in that apartment for 14 months using the stove at least once a day. I thought it was normal wear and tear. But yeah, this is really about the principal of the matter. No one wants to be out money, especially people who have to work for every dollar!

Old 11-26-2013, 11:42 PM

639 posts, read 1,838,613 times
Unless you burned them black, I think that charge is ridiculous. Burner pans are something that really shows wear, and cannot be returned to like-new condition any way that I know of. You aren't required to return items in the apartment in like-new condition, they can't charge you for normal wear and tear. If you were planning on suing them for other things as well, I would include the burner pans charge. If that's the only problem you have with them, for $25 it's not worth the gas money to drive to the courthouse...

Old 11-27-2013, 08:22 AM

6,147 posts, read 7,211,373 times
Did they return all of your deposit minus $25?

Old 11-30-2013, 12:25 PM

Yes, they did. Don't worry; I am not planning on suing them for $25. I just thought someone might know if there was a law/regulation that I could bring to their attention that might better persuade them to give me the money that (I believe) belongs to me. Thanks for all your comments!

Old 11-30-2013, 06:29 PM

27,050 posts, read 43,975,888 times
If the pans were used and cleaned but show normal wear and tear they will be replaced and indeed the cost is not that high. But if they are burned black as we seen often and not cleaned than we will deduct money.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:24 AM

10,593 posts, read 23,856,276 times
I'm confused..did you rent two apts from this place? Once in 2011-2012 and that unit came with brand new pans and then again recently where the unit came with used pans?

If the unit came with new pans you need to replace them upon move out. If they didn't, then you don't, but you do need to do your best to clean them.

Personally I dont' understand how hard it is to clean your burner pans after you cook..I mean don't you clean your oven/stove??

Old 12-01-2013, 08:16 AM

24,669 posts, read 65,969,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice Renter View Post
The woman who conducted the walk-through informed me that I could either replace the burner pans myself or face a fine ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice Renter View Post
The burner pans' replacement cost was $25. I checked the local Lowe's, Walmart, and Target, and 4 burner pans would have cost me $20 or so. The woman who did the walk-through said the replacement fee would be about $15. ... But yeah, this is really about the principal of the matter. No one wants to be out money, especially people who have to work for every dollar!
What a pistarckle over $25 ... Oh for my issues and angst to be so simple!

Novice Renter, this really is so very trivial and it's not worth losing sleep over such a minor "principal". Next time around buy the disposable aluminum burner protectors if you can't keep the permanent ones in good shape by cleaning them up every time you use the stovetop. As a former longtime owner and operator of a restaurant I NEVER left even one spot or spill on the stove when I closed up for the night. Likewise in rental units and in my own homes, it takes just a few minutes to clean up those burners. Leave the splatters and they harden up and are much more difficult to remove, particularly on cheaper fixtures. In the case of the latter and if you resort to a caustic agent to remove the baked-in gunk, the manufactured material degrades in turn.

But thanks for a chuckle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>