Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:22 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times

Advertisements

We had a tenant who paid on time for over a year, then he got laid off at work. As landlords, we worked with him. Initially he would say he will give us something next week and then give it. Eventually it got to the stage that he got caught up with backrent. That was ok for another year. Then he got behind again, again we worked with him.

Eventually he didnt pay us for 2 months and left when we asked him to. I explained to him that I cant tell the light company that you didnt pay your rent so I cant pay them ; it doesnot work that way. He lived there for free for 2 months. But meanwhile we paid the utilities, heat etc as it was an apt.

Right now we havent had any rental income for 3 months and it hurts. Hopefully we can turn the corner soon.
A tenant signs a lease saying he will pay the rent on a certain day, it is a certain amount. As a landlord we fulfill what we say we will ; tenants dont seem to give us the same courtesy.
d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 08:47 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by home*sweet*home View Post
Recently, it's been hard times for several of our tenants. We understand and accomodate those who warn us the rent will be late, give us a date by which they plan to pay and pay the late fee without further prompting.

We have also accomodate those who need to pay a little at a time until they are caught up. We have one, a single mom with two kids, who pays weekly on a monthly rent. She is behind but always pays something, and catches up each year when she gets her tax returns. She's been our tenant for two years. She requires a lot of extra tracking and work, but eventually,she pays.

To us, a good tenant in the hand (even if a slow pay) is better than two in the bush. Better the devil you know and all that...

So how do some people justify not saying ANYTHING, waiting until the rent is late, requiring me to hunt them down and then get OFFENDED when we ask them where the money is? Do they think they can live rent free just because? Because why?

Don't these people realize that mortgage companies won't cut ME any slack? If I don't pay the mortgage, I lose the house (THEIR house).

Before everyone starts yelling, yes we keep our places maintained. We own them, we want to keep the, we want to profit on their sale someday - we are good landlords. Period. It's just been a tough time in the area where we own housing.

I don't think the answer is just one simple thing. First, folks are scared & embarrassed about not being able to pay on time & they are afraid, for some reason, that if they just admit it ahead of time & ask to make arrangements that the sky will fall in or something. I've never understood that way of "dealing with things" but have seen it continually. I think some people are in denial - like if nothing is said - no one will notice. I've dealt with this same thing when loaning money - I shouldn't have to come looking for it - nor should you as a landlord.

As for the rest, well, I think too many people have the image in their heads that landlords are these corporate giants with money flowing from their water faucets. No, they often don't consider the fact that you have a mortgage to pay on your property & that it may be entirely possible for you to get in trouble or even go under if they are late or absent on their rent.

Many folks think of persistent or diligent landlords as greedy, uncaring, inconsiderate, & evil. I think this is simply systematic of a general societal problem. Folks tent to only want/choose to see things from their own narrow vantage point. Few people step into the other person's shoes to see the situation from every angle. If they did, there'd be no violence, wars, or general lack of peace & harmony. But, I digress.

I've owned my own home & earned a quite respectable salary. I've been very poor when my son was was a small child & I now am on Social Security Disability. Regardless of my income or circumstances, paying my rent or mortgage has always come first, financially. Other than many years ago when I was married to my son's father & he always stole the money - I've never been late on rent or mortgage nor ever considered it.

Folks do fall on hard times but I sometimes think it's all too often very poor insight, life management, & no reality check that causes the problems you mentioned. Years ago when I was laid off from my job & my temp job didn't pay enough - I gave plasma to cover the balance of the rent due in those months (yeah, you can earn $150 a month or more - not a lot - but enough to scrape by when necessary). I've worked extra & sold stuff if necessary - years ago I had serious struggles to make ends meet - but each month they always did. Rarely with any extras - but they did.

Until recently I paid full market rent with only $135 left for everything else after my rent - for 3 years. Again, tough, but I did what it took. Okay, I'm on a soapbox, I realize. Sorry. I guess while I truly feel for those who struggle - as I certainly have, I just don't understand folks in the same way you are struggling to understand them.

That's much more than my 50 cents on the matter.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:28 AM

177 posts, read 923,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post

I don't think the answer is just one simple thing. First, folks are scared & embarrassed about not being able to pay on time & they are afraid, for some reason, that if they just admit it ahead of time & ask to make arrangements that the sky will fall in or something. I've never understood that way of "dealing with things" but have seen it continually. I think some people are in denial - like if nothing is said - no one will notice. I've dealt with this same thing when loaning money - I shouldn't have to come looking for it - nor should you as a landlord.
I think sums up the way a lot of people feel when then are behind with bills or owe someone money. Its a lot easier to wait and see if things will work themselves (even though you know full well that isn't going to happen) than admit that your finances are falling apart and you don't have any money. I don't think most 'deadbeats' go into a deal intending to rip people off...but as they get pestered for the money they owe their guilt turns to anger and frustration and they look for ways to blame someone else for their inability to pay.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 PM

601 posts, read 1,904,072 times
Some folks think they are entitled...we had one tenant ( snuck out in the middle of the night) (I'm glad) anyway...when you asked him for the rent he acted offended. He waited till 1 week before the end of the month and said he'd pay "next Weds." for sure, so we did nothing legally and then on the day he was to pay he hung up on me when I called and was out of there when i
went to the property.He also talked another of our tenants(undesireable pot smoker, dealer) into not paying the rent ( he told him his Daddy had a bunch of trailers he could get him into for lower rent) Prevoiusly occupied by seasonal working Mexicans . Anyway the first guy snuck out, the pot smoker is still there waiting to move I guess.( legal action has begun against him for eviction and back rent. I won't let this go because there is damage involved.)
Would you believe the power compnay cut the power yesterday and he's still there? Currently cleaning up the empty unit-full of beer cans. (I mean full!!)
no damage, just dirty...looks like he never cleaned the bathroom for six months!!!! Pot smoker is a little gangster wannabe. Cops are watching the property, can't wait till he's gone. Got about 4 more days and the cops will move him out. Going to get a judgement and lien his car. sometimes you just have to get pissed off for being pissed on!Anyway have a new tenant moving down from Boston on Sun.for a unit that's been vacant for 2 months( the
guy who snuck out had been scaring away any prospective new tenants!Looking forward to a better relationship with the new guy.(Thoroughly cked him out. He's in Law enforcement. Hey!

Old 11-28-2007, 01:53 PM

601 posts, read 1,904,072 times
Default update.....

Was just told by another tenant that the scumbag that snuck out stole his child's turltle sandbox and several toys from the backyard!!!! Takes the cake doesn't it/ I will provide him with the scumbags phone numbers when I get home this evening. hope he reports it to the cops.

Last edited by daytripper; 11-28-2007 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: spell

Old 11-28-2007, 02:23 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
If folks had enough money, or were good with their money, they would be home owners not renters.
It would seem to be an expected consequence of being a landlord.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If folks had enough money, or were good with their money, they would be home owners not renters.

Wow, that's misleading & a very broad generalization. While I am not currently financially capable of purchasing my own home, I have owned my own home in the past - as it's the "American Dream" after all, right?

I am not a person who was cut out for home ownership, generally speaking. Not because I cannot manage my money, nor because I am financially unable to do so at this point. The minute I moved into my new home I felt trapped like I'd be stuck there forever now.

I want longterm tenancy in a place to call "home". I want commitment to the community I live in. But I don't want all the mess or bother associated with ownership & I want the flexibility that comes with tenancy vs homeownership.

I am intelligent enough to know that this, in general, is not always the wisest thinking. But, I accept that my desires don't necessarily meet with mainstream thought. That does not make me financially irresponsible nor necessarily point to financial shortcomings - only that my desires go against the ordinary grain of society. Period.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:44 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not true, I know many Professionals that choose to rent and money is definitely not the issue.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:45 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I don't mind working with tenants who fall behind if they will keep in contact and try to pay something. Seems that they do get later and later each time you let them, though..

I have some tenants of three years who are paying rent at least $150-$200 under market and they keep it coming in dribs and drabs, but in a few days they will be two months behind. That's my breaking point, maybe I am too-soft hearted. I have been burned many times with this policy!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I don't mind working with tenants who fall behind if they will keep in contact and try to pay something. Seems that they do get later and later each time you let them, though..

I have some tenants of three years who are paying rent at least $150-$200 under market and they keep it coming in dribs and drabs, but in a few days they will be two months behind. That's my breaking point, maybe I am too-soft hearted. I have been burned many times with this policy!

Honestly, as someone who has fallen on more than her share of hard times over the years - I don't really think you are doing anyone any real favours by allowing them to get that far behind on their rent. Folks will, too often, keep digging a bigger hole for themselves rather than dealing honestly with a situation - like: I just can no longer afford to pay this rent & I have to move.

There is a line - it would take quite a while to come back from being 2 months behind on rent & actually keep yourself afloat. It may be nobler to offer to allow someone out of their lease then to allow them to keep getting further in debt to you.

I don't think it's soft hearted either - but rather unwise & unhelpful (I'm not at all trying to be mean). If I were a landlord & decided I've give some wiggle room with paying the rent - I'd define strict parameters for doing so & not stray from them.

Tell your tenants you don't want to aide them in digging a bigger hole for themselves but would like to give them some room to work their way out of things. Give them a time frame & discuss an amount to be paid & by when. Don't let them get further behind & require them to pay SOMETHING additional each month, pay period, whatever. I'd have them sign your terms - saying you've discussed them with them & they understand any further anything will mean eviction proceedings. Period.

Tough love is often the kindest & often the only way to truly promote an individual's self-sufficiency.

That's my opinion even though you didn't ask for it...

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting