Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 AM

593 posts, read 1,907,494 times

Advertisements

i stopped paying my rent to try to get my landlord to fix a broken window before hurricane season. it was not effective.

i am now paying rent despite the broken window, but i did make a deal to have no security deposit, since my things can get ruined in the rain and i feel like i am taking a risk because he can't afford to fix it right now.

but i stayed in constant communication about it and ended up being flexible and finding a solution neither one of us liked but were willing to agree to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 08:04 AM

593 posts, read 1,907,494 times
Renting is a much more common choice these days. I never rented until late 2005, but now that i've done it I LOVE it! No insurance or property taxes or maintenance fees means that I can afford to live in a great location with all sorts of perks for the price of a mortgage alone, and in this economy, many rents are below mortgage prices. Not for scum at all, renting. It can be genius! the only downfall is that i hate carpeting, and if i were buying i'd just rip it out and put in cork. but as a renter i just need to keep looking until i find a place that is already to my taste.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:51 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,753,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I know all about credit checks, but the couple of houses we have are very small in old neighborhoods. People who rent in this area do not have good credit generally. If we don't want the places to sit empty we have to be fairly flexible. We had a woman on section 8 where we were sure it would work out, she only had to pay a small amount like $100. She would not pay even though she eventually was kicked out of the program. She even kept breaking in to sleep there at night while we were trying to rent it again.
We got these houses through owner carry years ago and they were easier to rent. They are paid off and wouldn't sell for much now so we continue to rent them out however we can.
We are going thru the same thing now. The tenant has been there for over 1 year. The amount she has to pay is only $128 a month. She has never paid it on time. Now I know we get most of the rent from the state, but the total does not cover the mortgage. Now she is 4 months late on her $128.

the conversation went on Sunday morning ; I need you to sign a housing form for me and also I need your tax statement to show to the school so I can register my daughter.

I said ; ok, but I need you to pay some rent ; you are 4 months late.I can give you the forms by Wednesday but I need some of the rent.

Her respnose ; not til wednesday, but I need to sign my child for school. I can give you one months rent.

Mine ; only one months, is there anyway you can give me more ; I need the rent to pay the mortgage.

Hers ; I need to pay my phone bill. I will meet you at the hosue on tuesday and can give you maybe $228.00

Mine ; ok, I will see you on tuesday with the forms, and you can give me $228.

Tuesday comes ; I give her the tax form, she gives me $128. She couldnt give me anymore, so now is three months late. But her chidlren have a new little pool, a new barbque, old furniture is being thrown out!!!

So I told her that when she gave me the hosuing form, maybe I will take my time in sending it in as she is taking her time paying the rent.

I knwo its not a lot of money, but its money that I need to come up with every single month to cover the mortgage that I am supposed to be getting from her.

I absoloteuly cannot wait till the day comes when I am not a landlord anymore. its not worth the grief.

This tenant gets the water paid, the garbage paid, wanted a lawnmower to cut the grass ; I provided that, anytime there is a problem, I fix it within days. Took down the screen door as she broke it, the list goes on and on.

And who is bailing me out here!!! Can you tell I am jaded from it all.

d

Old 07-16-2009, 12:57 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,748,935 times
She bought toys and furniture instead of paying a measley $128/month in rent? That scumbag is treating you like garbage! Evict her ASAP!

Old 07-16-2009, 05:25 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,758,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Now she is 4 months late on her $128.
d
Are you crazy they should have been gone 3 months ago now the problem when the Judge sees this I can almost guarantee they will get another chance here is how it will go?

Tenant

Mr. Judge I did not know it was that much of a problem because my landlord said it was ok it’s only 128 dollars

When I said are you sure he said its fine I get the money from the state it’s all good.

Now it seems to be a big deal he must have a new person he wants to rent to he did this on purpose to kick me out I had the money but used it for other thing because he said it was ok.:

You

That’s not true

Judge

It took you 4 months to start an eviction it must not have been that important
Here is what I will do Mr. Tenant you need to start paying full amount and you do not have to pay the 128 for the last 4 months
Have a nice day

Old 07-16-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:

And who is bailing me out here!!! Can you tell I am jaded from it all.

d
No not Jaded you just do not know what you are doing stop the tenant from makeing his own rules

Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 PM

Actually in the past I had to evict two tenants at seperate times. I won both cases as I showed the judge that they definately did not pay the rent as stated on the signed lease. One said she didnt pay as she had to get her kids back to school things ; the judge just gave her a look and told her exactley what date she had to be out. The other tenant prooved that she couldnt take care of the place.

I bring all the paperwork with me and make sure of my facts before she is evicted.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Actually in the past I had to evict two tenants at seperate times. I won both cases as I showed the judge that they definately did not pay the rent as stated on the signed lease. One said she didnt pay as she had to get her kids back to school things ; the judge just gave her a look and told her exactley what date she had to be out. The other tenant prooved that she couldnt take care of the place.

I bring all the paperwork with me and make sure of my facts before she is evicted.
You have been lucky just wait you will get a street smart tenant and you will learn the hard way I have been landlord for over 20 years it is my only job and by your post you are breaking a very important rule. Never underestimate how well the a tenant knows the court systems they survive by beating the system (being right has nothing to do with it). I just do not understand how you can run a business and lose money so that tells me you became a landlord not by choice but because you could not sell.

Goodluck

Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,227,945 times
Several landlord lessons I have learned and live by:

1. A tenant who cannot pay one month's rent certainly cannot pay two.
2. Never make a "deal" with a tenant to do repair work on the property in exchange for rent.
3. Keep your rent extremely competitive if you can. Tenants will stay longer and are easily replaced if they do leave.
4. Assume that most of your tenants will know the State's tenant/landlord laws better than you.
5. Learn how to "bluff" better than a professional poker player.
6. Never allow friendliness toward tenants to override professionalism.
7. Never rent your commercial building to an auto or truck mechanic unless you want to own an EPA super site.
8. Sell your rental properties as soon as you can unless you are a masochist and just need the pain.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
You have been lucky just wait you will get a street smart tenant and you will learn the hard way I have been landlord for over 20 years it is my only job and by your post you are breaking a very important rule. Never underestimate how well the a tenant knows the court systems they survive by beating the system (being right has nothing to do with it). I just do not understand how you can run a business and lose money so that tells me you became a landlord not by choice but because you could not sell.

Goodluck
You are right ; the place was hard to sell so we rented it out. Bad mistake.

Now I know that there are more people in this world that like to beat the system than actually work within the system. While we are getting 95% of the rent from the county, that was the saving grace. The $128 mounts up very quickly. I know its not a lot of money, but after a while it grates on you.

So I sent her a letter today saying that I will not cooperate with any forms until the rent has been paid in full, if it is not paid in full, then eviction proceedings will take place.

Being a landlord is not for us. This gal has no option but a shelter when and if it comes to that ; she has 5 kids. So my heart is in the right place, but its getting very hard very quickly.
d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting