Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:07 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,488,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Did the electrician tell you whether they wires were live or not? If you were to look inside the walls of my old house (1940's) you will see the old wiring hanging in there, but it's not at all live - they just didn't remove it when they rewired. And it looks scary too - it's just these fabric-covered wires ! They're safe though . Live wires just hanging loose in the wall would be very bad though.

Now I see the picture - the guy just bought the place . Oh yeah, the fixing-up might take years, if it ever happens at all (sometimes people get themselves in over their heads). The new roof was probably required by the insurance company. Doesn't mean the old one was leaking as much as it means it was showing some wear - insurers are very picky about roofs and will often require you to slap a new one on if you want their insurance.

Maybe he'll let you out early if you have a list of safety concerns?

yes the wires were live, they're fixed now but what a scary thought. Just last night i was walking past one of our bazillion extention cords and I look down and the thing is melting! from everything plugged into it.. We have them on the surge protectors but still! God forbid I hadn't been home and saw that and it melted I could have lost my animals in a fire!!

sorry wicked blurry!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DCFC0037.jpg (broken link)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DCFC0036.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Tarastomsgirl; 11-27-2007 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 06:19 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,174,827 times
Thank you! My landlord did no disclose any hazards of the house, nor is it in our lease (he didnt' even include penalties for breaking the lease of we leave! I dont' think he's ever done this before).

Tara - We also live in NH and rented an old house when we first moved - it was a nightmare, but not as bad as yours! I bolded something you posted previousy - If there are no penalties stated for breaking the lease, I would think you could just find another place and leave - you have the pictures to document the condition of the place - I wonder if you also have some mold "activity" going on - AND you have the electrical problems. If it were me, I'd find another place and leave - I would also report the place to the town and have THEM inspect it - I would think the electrical problems would definitely make the living conditions unsafe.

Just my 2 cents

Old 11-27-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Thank you! My landlord did no disclose any hazards of the house, nor is it in our lease (he didnt' even include penalties for breaking the lease of we leave! I dont' think he's ever done this before).

Tara - We also live in NH and rented an old house when we first moved - it was a nightmare, but not as bad as yours! I bolded something you posted previousy - If there are no penalties stated for breaking the lease, I would think you could just find another place and leave - you have the pictures to document the condition of the place - I wonder if you also have some mold "activity" going on - AND you have the electrical problems. If it were me, I'd find another place and leave - I would also report the place to the town and have THEM inspect it - I would think the electrical problems would definitely make the living conditions unsafe.

Just my 2 cents
Hey there, yes this has become a complete nightmare!!! I have family visiting next week and I'm embarrased to have them come over!!! In fla I lived in a gated comm apt, cathedrial ceilings indoor racketball court pool etc for $650 a month, and I'm paying $200 extra for this place!! Explain that one to the inlaws!!!!!!! Eeeekkkk... I've started looking for new places online.. Its hard casue we have a dog.. never messes anywhere but its hard to explain that to people. The only thing we have going for us honestly is my husband is a police officers and people like that because they feel their property is protected (we always have a cop car outside) and we're trustworthy as he does serve the public. Ugh its just been a whole mess, and with the holiday season here its just hard, so we might have to stick it out till at least after the holidays.. Not only that we're trying to start a family so I cannot have my kid around this, and I don't want to be pregnant in this house with things like you said mold issues and what not! I already have a comprimised system and have been in and out of the hospital for 3 years now. I don't need more problems!! I'm thinking at this point it might be wise to buy.. The market is low, we can offer a lowball and we can find a decent house for under $150,000. Ugh lol .. The landlord is trying to sell us this place... You know its bad when that happens.. I hope he's not behind on morgage or something. That worries me.. He says its a money pit.. Umm ya think!!!

I feel bad reporting him because I'm just not that type of person, I don't like hurting other people or getting them in trouble but I think this has just gone too far.. I think I'll leave that up to the hubby, he's used to dealing with people like that..

Old 11-27-2007, 07:21 AM

Tara - First of all, don't be embarrassed when your family comes - you don't own the place, you're keeping it as clean as possible and it's the landlord who should be embarrassed about the state of the place! In the house we rented, the dirt/dust would come in through the walls - I could dust in the morning and by afternoon it looked like I hadn't dusted in a year....We still had visitors

I know, from reading some of your previous posts about your health issues - this place is not a healthy place for you to be living. Hmmmm....Through work, have your hubby ask some of the other officers if they know of any rentals that would allow your dog. They may know of something that isn't being advertised and may be a "word of mouth" type of thing.

If you can find a house you can afford, go for it. We started looking in November of last year and found our home in December, right before Christmas, moved into it in February. It was hectic, but we both felt better being out of the old house we were living in.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy the one you are in now!!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Tara - First of all, don't be embarrassed when your family comes - you don't own the place, you're keeping it as clean as possible and it's the landlord who should be embarrassed about the state of the place! In the house we rented, the dirt/dust would come in through the walls - I could dust in the morning and by afternoon it looked like I hadn't dusted in a year....We still had visitors

I know, from reading some of your previous posts about your health issues - this place is not a healthy place for you to be living. Hmmmm....Through work, have your hubby ask some of the other officers if they know of any rentals that would allow your dog. They may know of something that isn't being advertised and may be a "word of mouth" type of thing.

If you can find a house you can afford, go for it. We started looking in November of last year and found our home in December, right before Christmas, moved into it in February. It was hectic, but we both felt better being out of the old house we were living in.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy the one you are in now!!!!!!!

Your post has made me feel better your right its the landlord who should be embarassed! We have dust that comes through the wall too!, and its funny cause its from the cars passing down on the street. No joke when cars drive by the house shakes.. I can literally just watch my computer screen shake..Drives me nuts! But I'm getting a free massage outta it when i sit and the chair vibrates so hey, can't say I'm not getting something outta it

I'm happy you found your house!! It must be a HUGE relief...
My husbands father wants to help us buy our first home, I guess its a family tradition, but we're not the type to take money from people like that, its akward you know.. We've been doing it on our own since 18, even if its not the best and its like why start taking money now! After nexts week visit though they might force us to buy haa... I've been searching online and for a first home there are a couple around for about $130,000 2 beds... And not 150 years old! So we'll just have to keep our eyes open. I wouldn't buy this house if I had a million bucks to blow!.. R u still living in NH or did that last place make ya get outta dodge?

Old 11-27-2007, 07:45 AM

Tara - Our house vibrated too! The house we rented was very close to the road and had trucks going by constantly - every time one went through, the place shook - in the spring, when the bikers came roaring up the road, the house shook <g>...It was an experience, to say the least.

You know, if your father-in-law wants to help you - let him. It probably makes him happy to do things like that. If you are REALLY uncomfortable with it, then write out an agreement to pay him back.

We are still in New Hampshire - we love the area and the people. If you go to the New Hampshire board and look at the Littleton thread, you will see quite a few posts from me <g>. There are other posts there about our experiences when we rented - did I mention the house was also haunted?

Old 11-27-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Tara - Our house vibrated too! The house we rented was very close to the road and had trucks going by constantly - every time one went through, the place shook - in the spring, when the bikers came roaring up the road, the house shook <g>...It was an experience, to say the least.

You know, if your father-in-law wants to help you - let him. It probably makes him happy to do things like that. If you are REALLY uncomfortable with it, then write out an agreement to pay him back.

We are still in New Hampshire - we love the area and the people. If you go to the New Hampshire board and look at the Littleton thread, you will see quite a few posts from me <g>. There are other posts there about our experiences when we rented - did I mention the house was also haunted?

See I thought your name looked familiar lol! I've never been to Littleton.. heard pretty good things though.. I love NH.. I wouldn't move from NH for the world!!! Oh haunted house,,, nooooo I'd be gone tonight! I don't play around with that stuff. Actually now that all the leaves are gone if I look out my living room window there's a cemetary across the street and behind 3 houses down.. I didn't even know it was there! The leaves blew away and I was shocked.. I've had some funny noises like up in the attic which we have access to , i woke up about 3 weeks ago to a loud clip clop like a women with highheels walking across the ceiling (we're the only ones with access upstairs) and I jerked awake and it was like one more step taken before I was fully awake so I can't say for sure if it was a dream or what.. The first month I was here living in the Apt by myself my husband was up in Concord at the PD academy and I always fell asleep with the tv or radio on, i just hate silence when I sleep. One night my eyes shot open in the middle of the night, my radio was on white noise (it was on music when I fell asleep) but I had heard right in my ear really close a mans voice say "be quiet!" ... Once again I was sleeping soooo coulda been a dream. But I've not seen anything so till I see it I can't count it haunted just yet.... What creepy things went on in your house?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:32 AM

Before we get too far off topic - I just started a thread in "Other Topics" about living in a haunted house/apartment

To get back on topic - I really hope you can get out of there - that electrical situation, especially, would scare me!

Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Dang, why hasnt that house been condemned yet??

Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
yes the wires were live, they're fixed now but what a scary thought. Just last night i was walking past one of our bazillion extention cords and I look down and the thing is melting! from everything plugged into it.. We have them on the surge protectors but still! God forbid I hadn't been home and saw that and it melted I could have lost my animals in a fire!!

sorry wicked blurry!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DCFC0037.jpg (broken link)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/Tarastomsgirl/DCFC0036.jpg (broken link)
So between your bill from the electrician (which hopefully details "live" wires in the work description) and the above melted power surge, I think you have enough to get out of the apartment early in the lease.

Take photos of everything and keep every scrap of evidence you can. Also, emailing or sending a certified letter to the landlord outlining the safety issues is a good idea.

I have been on the other side. As a landlord with an older home (renovated), I had a tenant do some serious damage. Prior to her move-in, I had the hardwood floors completely refinished. These 60 year old floors looked as new as the day they were installed...gorgeous! She destroyed them. No amount of refinishing will ever bring them back.

So I sued her, and I won. I had tons of before and after photos. My tenant first tried telling the judge the house was a slum due to its' age. My photos showed otherwise and the judge said 'no, it's not, it's a very nice house that looked perfect before you moved in'.

Evidence.....records.......photos......you just never know when they'll come in handy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting