Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 03:35 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It's a dog grooming business; how do you suggest they keep the dogs quiet?

My groomer tries to schedule her clients in small batches to keep the noise and chaos down, but it doesn't always work out that way. There's always dogs barking, phones ringing, blow dryers going and people coming and going...it's not a quiet business. The OP should've rented next to an insurance office.
THEIR DOG, as in the dog owned by the business owners, not the dogs coming in for grooming, as has been mentioned in multiple posts. And THEIR DOG is barking before business hours, during quiet time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 04:04 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
THEIR DOG, as in the dog owned by the business owners, not the dogs coming in for grooming, as has been mentioned in multiple posts. And THEIR DOG is barking before business hours, during quiet time.

What quiet time? Commercial areas normally don't have a 'quiet time' nor are they subject to the ordinance he semi quoted.

He shares a wall with a business (and knew this when he signed the lease) and to expect people ( these people or another family) to be deathly quiet to suit his needs is just unreasonable.

People have been living above, below and next to businesses for years....it's not uncommon. Look in just about any large downtown area and you'll see this. The difference is those tenants didn't expect total quiet from their neighbors and knew going in (just like the op) that there could be and probably would be some noise to get adjusted to.

Dogs bark..that's what they do...he can call animal control and ask them what he can do about a dog that barks for 30 mins a day inside the building next door.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:04 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,459 times
As an old, retired groomer, here is what I would suggest. Calmly and kindly go and talk with them! You did move in knowing what was there, and there will be noise. But if you calmly discuss it with them, let them know when your shifts are, they may try to do their best to keep the barking down to a dull roar.

But if you barge in all mad... you will lose. So collect your thoughts, see if you can come up with a solution before you go and speak with them. Remember they are trying to make a living, and dogs do make noise... so you both will have to respectful of each other.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:34 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
Quote:
What quiet time? Commercial areas normally don't have a 'quiet time' nor are they subject to the ordinance he semi quoted.

He shares a wall with a business (and knew this when he signed the lease) and to expect people ( these people or another family) to be deathly quiet to suit his needs is just unreasonable.

People have been living above, below and next to businesses for years....it's not uncommon. Look in just about any large downtown area and you'll see this. The difference is those tenants didn't expect total quiet from their neighbors and knew going in (just like the op) that there could be and probably would be some noise to get adjusted to.

Dogs bark..that's what they do...he can call animal control and ask them what he can do about a dog that barks for 30 mins a day inside the building next door.
From a later post by the OP (bolding mine):
Quote:
Perhaps i should have been more clear as well, my lease is over already 6 months was the time line. when i first moved in it was not operating for a few days. they were doing some minor renovating apparently while i was at work. So no i had no idea they were even an operating buisness and my land lord failed to mention that to me before i moved in, i did not ask how ever either.
OP should certainly have asked prior to signing lease, and admits such.

There is a generally understood courtesy quiet time, usually between about 10pm and 7am in rentals. These people are generating noise, while presumably not during business hours, during the times people expect quiet in their homes. Have you ever seen a dog groomer open at 6:30 in the morning? I haven't, and it is outside the normal business hours for such a business.

I believe that the OP should nicely speak to the neighbors, owners of the barkmeister dog, and ask them if they could find a way to keep normal hours so the OP can sleep to a reasonable hour. If the landlord also owns the business property (since they have adjoining walls, it's likely), perhaps to ask the landlord if there is something they can do, failing relief from the neighbors.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
From a later post by the OP (bolding mine):

OP should certainly have asked prior to signing lease, and admits such.

There is a generally understood courtesy quiet time, usually between about 10pm and 7am in rentals. These people are generating noise, while presumably not during business hours, during the times people expect quiet in their homes. Have you ever seen a dog groomer open at 6:30 in the morning? I haven't, and it is outside the normal business hours for such a business.

I believe that the OP should nicely speak to the neighbors, owners of the barkmeister dog, and ask them if they could find a way to keep normal hours so the OP can sleep to a reasonable hour. If the landlord also owns the business property (since they have adjoining walls, it's likely), perhaps to ask the landlord if there is something they can do, failing relief from the neighbors.

The OP knew the business was there and whether it was open or not isn't the issue...he knew a business was right next door.

Again, 'courtesy time' doesn't apply to commercial areas so that point is moot.

My groomer opens at 0700, she goes into work at 0630...it's part of running a business. You don't get to set business hours, the business owner does. So to you it might be 'out of hours' but for someone else it might be perfect timing. My groomer will take dogs at 0630 and keep them until noon when people take lunch to pick up their pooch...again, nothing out of the norm there.

And I agree..the OP needs to talk to the neighbor and the landlord, but his best bet is to move because then noise isn't going to stop anytime soon.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
If the OP worked a standard 8 hour day this wouldn't be an issue. If you work a day job you don't rent somewhere near a night club, bar, etc. If you work a night shift you don't rent somewhere near a business which operates during the daytime. One can't expect a business of any kind to adjust its hours and activities to suit your particular schedule. OP should have better researched before taking the unit and, yes, his/her expectations are unreasonable.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:54 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Quote:
It's a dog grooming business; how do you suggest they keep the dogs quiet?

My groomer tries to schedule her clients in small batches to keep the noise and chaos down, but it doesn't always work out that way. There's always dogs barking, phones ringing, blow dryers going and people coming and going...it's not a quiet business. The OP should've rented next to an insurance office.
I meant when the owner is coming in at 6 am with their dog, it's not hard to keep one dog quiet in the morning. I didn't know people were pounding on dog groomers doors at 6 am

It never hurts to walk over and strike up conversation, introduce yourself, say hi, etc, and then just ask "hey I know you work here, but do you think in the morning you can try to get your dog to not bark so much? I work late and don't get to bed until 1 am due to my schedule, I'd really appreciate it- thanks!"

And then if you notice a difference thank them.

I live upstairs, I told my neighbor from day one- please tell me if me or my pets are bothering you, and then I gave him my number and anytime I see him I ask him if we are being loud and he says no. And he's also considerate of us, he likes to play his music loud and we just ask that around 9 pm he turn it off because we both are up at 6 am to go to work.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:20 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post

I live upstairs, I told my neighbor from day one- please tell me if me or my pets are bothering you, and then I gave him my number and anytime I see him I ask him if we are being loud and he says no. And he's also considerate of us, he likes to play his music loud and we just ask that around 9 pm he turn it off because we both are up at 6 am to go to work.
This ^^^^^^^

Being friendly and polite leads to continued courtesy on both sides.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:34 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urieaal View Post
As well i posted what there Required to keep the noise level at 45 decibels during the hours of 10pm till 7am this is Washington state LAW 173-60-030. During other hours, 7am till 9:59pm there again by state law required As are all of you in Washington to not exceed 60 decibels. You all seem to have completely not read that part either.
Have you actually measured the decibel level in your home? All dogs bark at different levels and you cannot determine the exact level without using a sound level meter. If the noise is over the required level, then you can file a complaint as per the law. While this is your prerogative, it seems to be an action that is much more hostile and aggressive than simply just going to talk to them.

WAC 173-60-090: Enforcement policy.

WAC 173-60-040: Maximum permissible environmental noise levels.

Old 11-30-2013, 02:56 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
All dogs bark at different levels and you cannot determine the exact level without using a sound level meter.
The average dog barks at 50 decibels. The OP is being really daft even contemplating using that as legal leverage. The authorities will laugh themselves silly - but it'll make for a good chuckle around the water cooler!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting