Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyrs View Post
Yes we have the queen size bed stated in writing

Ok, but that very first day you stepped thru the door, did you call the landlord regarding the filth or the bed? Did you give the landlord a chance (say 48 hrs) to make the necessary adjustments to the unit? Or did you just move your stuff in, stay there for 5 mths without saying a word?

Sorry, but don't rent sight unseen and don't accept a unit if you don't agree with it's condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
We did bring these to the landlady's attention ...
In writing with a request to fix?

Old 12-02-2013, 06:21 AM

5 posts, read 9,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Despite what you have in writing and the photographs you took, the problem is that you apparently continued to live there for the five months agreed to. What you should have done when you found that things weren't as represented was immediately notify the LL in writing and give her 5 days to remedy (at least have the place properly cleaned and a queen bed installed). Or you should not have moved in, found another place to stay and (if she wouldn't reimburse you) taken her to Small Claims court, suing for return of rent and deposits and for a short-term rental until you were able to find somewhere better.

Since you continued to live there I don't think you would have much of a case to seek redress from her now.
Thank you for the info!
We did notify her and she said that none of her previous tenants had ever complained about the bed and she restated that the she had the unit professionally cleaned. I was not financially able at the time to pay first last security for another place as she already had $1500 of my money so I spent much of the first couple days cleaning the unit myself. The lady was a member of the golf club I was working at and I was trying to avoid an awkward situation at the club throughout the summer.
All I would like from her is to reimburse us for the sheets and mattress topper we bought for the futon

Old 12-02-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the info!
We did notify her and she said that none of her previous tenants had ever complained about the bed and she restated that the she had the unit professionally cleaned. I was not financially able at the time to pay first last security for another place as she already had $1500 of my money so I spent much of the first couple days cleaning the unit myself. The lady was a member of the golf club I was working at and I was trying to avoid an awkward situation at the club throughout the summer.
All I would like from her is to reimburse us for the sheets and mattress topper we bought for the futon

When did you notify her? That day? The next day? When you moved out? When you notified her is just as important as how you notified her.

Being a landlord is a business and awkward situation be damned, if she didn't hold up her end of the deal, you can call her out on it. You didn't.

You can ask her to pay for those items and even for the cleaning, but she probably won't and while you could try and sue her, I doubt you'd win and that would up the awkward situation by 1000%.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:31 AM

5 posts, read 9,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Ok, but that very first day you stepped thru the door, did you call the landlord regarding the filth or the bed? Did you give the landlord a chance (say 48 hrs) to make the necessary adjustments to the unit? Or did you just move your stuff in, stay there for 5 mths without saying a word?

Sorry, but don't rent sight unseen and don't accept a unit if you don't agree with it's condition.
We did tell her about the filth and the bed and her response was that in six years of renting no one had ever complained about the bed and that she had the unit professionally cleaned.

She already had $1500 of mine and I could not afford to move somewhere else so I spent much of the next two days cleaning the unit and we unfolded the futon and slept on that the whole time which we made almost comfortable by purchasing a nasa foam mattress cover.

The landlady was a member of the club I was working at which adds another variable as I was trying to avoid awkward situations at work.

Thanks for your input

Old 12-02-2013, 06:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
jyrs, no need to keep repeating. Read the responses you've been given. You have no case for all the reasons already stated. Sorry.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:04 AM

Default whe

Quote:
We did tell her about the filth and the bed and her response was that in six years of renting no one had ever complained about the bed and that she had the unit professionally cleaned.

She already had $1500 of mine and I could not afford to move somewhere else so I spent much of the next two days cleaning the unit and we unfolded the futon and slept on that the whole time which we made almost comfortable by purchasing a nasa foam mattress cover.

The landlady was a member of the club I was working at which adds another variable as I was trying to avoid awkward situations at work. And by no means am I taking her side...she should've exchanged the bed.

Thanks for your input
In all honesty, your best bet is to let it go and considered it a hard lesson learned.

Yes, she should've changed the bed out within a reasonable amount of time, especially since you agreed to rent a unit with a queen size bed. But, you dropped the ball here to avoid an awkward situation...you can't go back and pick it up 6 mths later and demand reimbursement. Well, you can, but I doubt you'd get it.

Please don't get me wrong, it sucks, I wouldn't sleep on futon for 5 hours much less 5 mths if my unit was supposed to come with a queen size bed.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:38 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee Wow, you absolutely have a good case if everything is as you described. With the pictures and the proof from the LL in writing you have a clear and easy case ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I disagree. It sounds as though nothing was in writing other than that there was a queen bed in the place. Unless they specifically brought this to the attention of the LL and asked her to provide the described bed and gave her reasonable time to replace that which was there they have no case at all. Had they not moved in they would probably have had a case for the return of their security deposit and prepaid rent - but they did move in and continued to pay rent which constituted accepting the place "as is".
I read bentlebee's post as sarcasm.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:47 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,227 times
This whole thread defines "First World Problems" to me.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. Too little and too late. PLus, with all the color you've added to your story, it honestly makes me think "that poor landlord". Your SO being "electrocuted" (mentioned as a passing comment at that!), overnight mold, ect, ect; these are all serious allegations, which at the time, didn't seem like big enough trouble to not make "awkward situations at the golf club"? You make it sound like your safety was seriously on the line, yet, you are concerned about a little bit of dusting and buying the wrong size sheets?????

No, just no.

As already has been mentioned, you can't send the steak back to the kitchen when all you've left on the plate is the side fat and half a bone.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:25 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Did the landlord keep your security deposit to pay for the utilities which you were supposed to pay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting