U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 10:30 PM

22,155 posts, read 28,785,440 times

Advertisements

I read a lot of
I moved in x place and it wasn't as described but I still signed the lease and the LL is a jerk for not fixing xyz. I guess. My question is why do you sign the lease if the place is unacceptable?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 AM

2,688 posts, read 7,051,284 times
Cool hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I read a lot of
I moved in x place and it wasn't as described but I still signed the lease and the LL is a jerk for not fixing xyz. I guess. My question is why do you sign the lease if the place is unacceptable?
Well, what did you promise your tenant that you have not upheld once you took their hard earned
money? Let's put it that way, huh?
Koale

Old 12-03-2013, 08:24 AM

18,816 posts, read 29,152,432 times
For me, it was because all my stuff was in a truck outside the apartment, and I'd already vacated the last place. Easier to move in than to get a hotel, continue paying for the truck, and try to look for another place to take me in that situation. Plus, they accepted a dog and finding a place that would accept a dog was difficult.

The situation I'm referring to above, was in Davis, CA, in 2000. They showed me a model apt, they were refurbishing the units. They gave me different options of upgrades and the corresponding rent amounts I could choose from, such as mirrored closet doors, better carpet, etc. So, I chose my upgrades, blah blah, they give me the key to my apartment on move-in day, and none of the above had been done.

In my case, I was able to renegotiate the rent, but my year there was horrible.

The lesson I learned was not to rent any unit until it's ready to go and I see the actual unit I will get, or be okay with getting something that may not be perfect.

The place I just moved into was repainted, they put in some new flooring, looked great. I went to cook my turkey and the oven hadn't been cleaned. There are surprises that you don't discover until later. I won't complain about the oven, because I intend to live here long enough to get it dirty anyway, and I don't want them to think of me as a complainer. But, it is ridiculous that the manager never looked to see if it had been cleaned.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth as to your question.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:27 AM

27,052 posts, read 43,997,112 times
Quote:
I read a lot of
I'm not a tenant, but the records show that complaining part only comes to the surface when they move out and don't want to clean.

Some think they can be smarter and start complaining AFTER they moved in and than start a "track record" without pictures or proof just to have something ready for when they move out...

Too bad we have time and date stamped pictures showing what it looked on the day on move in

Old 12-03-2013, 09:52 AM

18,088 posts, read 17,011,094 times
Quote:
I read a lot of
I signed a lease and expect the LL to uphold their end of the lease, so if the lease states "xyz", then I expect "xyz".

When moving, many times a person cannot just state "the heck with it", and go find another place. In many areas, good places are hard to come by, there is a waiting period, application fees, etc.

Sometimes places will show a model apartment, only to ahve the actual one be junk; or they are refurbishing an apartment, but did not complete it before the move in date; or others state they will do "xyz" before the move in date, yet still ahve not got it done.

What do you expect someone to do, go rent a hotel room, keep all their belongings in transit, and go on another apartment search complete with waiting times, applicaitons, etc?

Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 AM

40,377 posts, read 32,238,126 times
Finding apartments can be very competitive. I've found that I usually need to be prepared to write a check right on the spot, otherwise I'll not get it.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Well, what did you promise your tenant that you have not upheld once you took their hard earned
money? Let's put it that way, huh?
Koale
Well that wasn't my question but here is your answer.

Paint/touch up and needed repairs are done before move in. Sometimes some maintenance gets done with tenants in the place if I feel its unsafe or worn out. I take a week or so downtime between tenants to do repairs paint general maintenance etc. Everything I promise gets done BEFORE MOVE IN. That's why I have downtime. I won't even sign the lease until the walk through is done and accepted. I have never not upheld my end of the bargain. I've never rented sight unseen. As a matter of fact I really prefer not to rent sight unseen. You think I don't work for my money? You think I just take money I don't deserve? Out of all my tenants in 22 years only two got their deposits held. One bounced a rent check on me twice in one month and left at the end of the month, and his roommate decided to paint some walls. This same guy broke up with gf and couldn't make rent. I only charged him 1/2 month otherwise I would have to give notice to him and his 10 yo kid. I charged him for only repainting the walls he painted and refunded the rest. In neither case I felt I overstepped or screwed them in any way. I don't need to f people out of their hard earned money. I work hard for my money too. I just dumped 60k in a rental to remodel it. The whole place was just worn out. EVERYTHING was replaced (gutted the house) with the exception of the furnace and a water heater and sliding door which I recently replaced. You think I run slums? You're wrong.

I'm not a throw everything against the wall and see what sticks LL. I am never in a hurry because I can hold out for the right tenant.

I ask a few things

Pay rent on time
Take care and don't abuse my house
Respect the neighbors
Follow the rules that you were made aware of BEFORE YOU moved in
Call me if there is a issue.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 12-03-2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I signed a lease and expect the LL to uphold their end of the lease, so if the lease states "xyz", then I expect "xyz".

When moving, many times a person cannot just state "the heck with it", and go find another place. In many areas, good places are hard to come by, there is a waiting period, application fees, etc.

Sometimes places will show a model apartment, only to ahve the actual one be junk; or they are refurbishing an apartment, but did not complete it before the move in date; or others state they will do "xyz" before the move in date, yet still ahve not got it done.

What do you expect someone to do, go rent a hotel room, keep all their belongings in transit, and go on another apartment search complete with waiting times, applicaitons, etc?

I'm just trying to understand. Since the last time I was a renter was 25 years ago I guess I just don't get it. When I used to look at a apartment it was the apartment that was for rent not some model. Maybe its me since I don't bs people and I'm a here it is black and white. When I show one of my properties what you see IS what you get. I'm not trying to make anyone upset. I'm just trying to understand why and the circumstances forcing people to take possession if its not as presented. I've had very few issues with tenants but I don't just rent willie nillie to the first guy walking in.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:29 AM

27,052 posts, read 43,997,112 times
Times have changed and with people talking to each other and bragging how they are able to get away with things they feel entitled to do the same even though they have no proof someone else really did it or if it was just a "nice story" to make them seem like the tenants who can get away with everything.

That snowball effect is making others think they can scam their way out or into a property.

Just today we run 2 applications and even though we don't deny them we do charge them way higher security deposit due to things on their credit report and not disclosing arrests and items that happened a long time ago, but with their record and story they are a higher risk.

One did disclose that she was arrested and did her time and even gave us a copy of her "inmate photo ID" since she didn't have a drivers license. Since the crime was not something that we needed to decline her for a house and we were told upfront, that wasn't an issue....her BF however didn't disclose an arrest which also happened a long time ago and we informed them they can only be approved after paying, first, last and double amount of security deposit due to all the items and not disclosed arrest.

If the arrest was for something else he might have been denied right away since it is always up to the owner who will decide in the end.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:58 AM

As I get turn overs I am finding more and more that due diligence us more important. I had some properties out of state but those were through PMC. I ended up getting some good offers to sell so I did. So I had no real control over the process of tenant choosing in those cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>