Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 06:04 AM

23,162 posts, read 26,118,923 times

Advertisements

If the owner knows the right answers, this doesn't help much but might cause a few frauds to stutter and stumble enough to go away
"Under the ADA, business owners can only ask two questions when someone with an animal walks in: “Is this a service animal?” “What is it trained to do?”"
It's really a shame that purely selfish people who just want their 'little sweetie' to go everywhere with them are making those that have and need legitimate service dogs the subjects of suspicion. They don't really like having no proof either.

"Canine Companions for Independence (CCI) CEO Corey Hudson says it’s time that changed to crack down on service dog fraud.
“There needs to be some standard organization [where] somebody neutral who is knowledgeable about the situation judges whether that dog is a legitimate assistance dog,” Hudson said.
He and CCI are now lobbying the Department of Justice for help."

Frustrated by Fake Service Dogs | NBC Bay Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 684 times
Default But how to get into an apt in the first place?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

The issue I'm having, is that in looking for a place where they say "no pets allowed", do I just not say that I have an ESA animal until I'm accepted? Otherwise if you're declined, they would never tell you it was because you had an animal or it would be hard to prove.

thanks for any info.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weiller View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

The issue I'm having, is that in looking for a place where they say "no pets allowed", do I just not say that I have an ESA animal until I'm accepted? Otherwise if you're declined, they would never tell you it was because you had an animal or it would be hard to prove.

thanks for any info.
You would have a happier landlord if you got a place where dogs are allowed. Then you can get the deposit waived if you have an emotional support dog, but having one won't be a big deal.

I considered doing what you're suggesting at another place I had applied to move into in a different town. But, then I pictured my angry manager hating seeing me with the dog, and the other tenants giving me a hard time about why I had a dog and others couldn't. Plus, it would be like wearing a big sign that says "I'm disabled." I also figured the manager would be writing me up for anything, in order to kick me out for a reason other than the dog.

I understand your dilemma. If you're really between a rock and a hard place with absolutely no option where you can rent with a dog, then I guess I'd go the sneaky route. But also know that the manager will still have to approve your request for the dog. You'll have to provide a note from your doctor, and disclose that you are disabled. Don't have to get specific on your disability, other than the doctor's letter will have to say why they think you need one.

I highly suggest getting a dog that is a small breed - 25 pounds or less - if you don't already have one. That way it will be easy to find another place to move to down the line with breed restrictions. Plus, if you get a large breed and the other tenants can't have one, again there will be bad feelings. And the manager won't be happy with you because he/she is dealing with the complaints from those tenants.

Anyway, good luck with your apt search. And enjoy your dog! If you ever come to Redding, come check out our great dog park :-)

Old 01-05-2014, 07:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,944,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weiller View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

thanks for any info.

No, you find a place that allow dogs and rent there. Lying on your rental application can be grounds for rejection and eviction...and it should be. Why lie??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting