Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:25 PM

218 posts, read 775,404 times

Advertisements

Got another question for you - my friend is a LL of her old home.

The HOA sent people out to the rental to do work on the outside and they messed up the tenants windows (made them dirty).

Anyway, the tenants are complaining and she is trying to get the HOA to go back out there and clean the windows for tenants. Is she responsible for this?

I'm thinking - no.

I told her to tell them "sorry" and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 12:33 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
Got another question for you - my friend is a LL of her old home.

The HOA sent people out to the rental to do work on the outside and they messed up the tenants windows (made them dirty).

Anyway, the tenants are complaining and she is trying to get the HOA to go back out there and clean the windows for tenants. Is she responsible for this?

I'm thinking - no.

I told her to tell them "sorry" and move on.
The HOA is responsible to the landlord to correct the problem they caused. The LL is responsible to the tenant to get the problem corrected. But there is no time pressure here, it can take as long as it takes, as long as the landlord is making a reasonable effort to get the HOA to correct the problem.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:51 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
The HOA is responsible to the landlord to correct the problem they caused. The LL is responsible to the tenant to get the problem corrected. But there is no time pressure here, it can take as long as it takes, as long as the landlord is making a reasonable effort to get the HOA to correct the problem.
To let the tenant know the LL is on top of this, the LL should copy the tenant on a good email to the HOA every few days...as well as the response from the HOA.

This will also alert the HOA to the fact that they are being monitored appropriately and that it's not just a complaining tenant or LL but both.

If by HOA you mean a mgt company the President of the HOA board should be copied. And head of a committee that may take note of an unkempt property or something.

If there is no satisfaction...even a response...quickly, then a copy to several board members and attend the next monthly meeting, which the mgt co representative should also attend.

It is a good idea to know names so that correspondence is not lost in the shuffle of trying to find who is in charge of the community.

Your LL friend should also take dated pix.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:11 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Honestly, outside windows get dirty. We don't even require our tenants clean the outsides. I've never washed the outsides of the windows on my house, other than with the hose, and I've lived here for almost 11 years. Is there some reason someone can't just take 10 minutes with a hose and spray them off? If it is too cold for the tenants to do that, then it is too cold for the HOA as well and can wait for warmer weather.

Yes the HOA should clean up after themselves, but unless the windows are so dirty it is blocking light from coming in, this is just SUCH a non-issue in my mind as to be a silly discussion to waste time on. If the HOA had broken a window, that would be a completely different issue. But we are talking 5-10 minutes with a hose.

Are the tenants going to complain if there is a storm and the rain gets the windows dirty, too?

Old 12-11-2013, 04:55 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
If you make an issue out of a repair and the windows got dirty you may end up with a bigger mess....HOA's don't have all the rights but they can be nasty if they feel you are difficult, unless you have a nice person working there but often they are volunteers and/or property managers that are under paid. it is not the work I would prefer to do.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:12 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
This is not an issue that I would get on the bad side of my HOA for. Unless they spilled paint all over the windows??

Old 12-12-2013, 10:37 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Seriously? the tenants can't get up off of their lazy fat butts and wash their own windows? They have probably put 10 times more effort into complaining than it would take them to go outside with a bottle of windex and a paper towel.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Seriously? the tenants can't get up off of their lazy fat butts and wash their own windows? They have probably put 10 times more effort into complaining than it would take them to go outside with a bottle of windex and a paper towel.
The tenants did not dirty them, they have no obligation to clean up after the contractor who did the work. It clearly is the responsibility of the HOA to get the contractor to clean them. I have served on our HOA board, I can't imagine any responsible HOA that would not do this.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:35 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
Depending on what caused the problem, I as a board member would probably get the windows cleaned for the resident. I get silly requests like this from time to time, and it isn't worth fighting, even if the tenant is in the wrong. Get the windows cleaned, pay the bill and move on. For the small amount of money involved, it isn't worth the trouble or the ill will.
I just got a call from a resident that there is a big pile of dirt they swept up in their gutter after thge last rain storm, and they want it hauled away. The CC&R's state you are responsible to maintain your property to the middle of the street in front of your home. I could have explained that to the resident, and told her to clean it up herself. It's much easier to call and have it cleaned up. The cost in minimal and is covered by the entire community. We have money in the budget for street cleaning.
I don't need the aggregation of a big argument for a minor problem. For a few bucks, I got a million dollars worth of good will..

Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Everybody would have to look at their contracts. I doubt the contract between the LL and the tenant includes window cleaning. Was there a contract between the HOA and the contractor regarding cleaning windows?

If this was my tenant, I would say, "I'll try to get the HOA to clean the windows, but if they say no, it will be up to you to clean them, if you want them cleaned, as window cleaning is not included in your rent. I do promise not to take cleaning of the outside of the windows out of your security deposit when you move, though, if that is what you are worried about."

I'm with the other posters who said the tenant ought to get out the hose. Sheesh. They probably complained about whatever needed to be done, then complained after it was done and got dust on the windows in the process. Unreasonable complainers need to be nipped in the bud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting